1940's Recommendations

Tools    

This Gun for Hire (1942) with Ladd&Lake is an interesting watch. It was very likely an inspiration for Melville's Le Samourai.

This is probably last 2 that come to my mind and that I saw

The Picture of Dorian Gray 1945

The Red Shoes 1948, but this is a musical thou
The Red Shoes isn't a Musical. Well i don't think of it as one anyway, and there's plenty of Musical fans here anyway.

Someone should step up to do this countdown! It's a lot of work, but rewarding and worth it!
I would but i wouldn't be reliable. Internet/PC problems and randomly getting really busy would mean i'd miss updates, plus i'm terrible at presentation.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The Picture of Dorian Gray 1945
This was one of my two top choices for the 40's HoF, but I wouldn't have been able to nominate it because I couldn't find it available for everyone else to watch. I hope others do get a chance to see it because I think it is a very good film.

The Red Shoes isn't a Musical. Well i don't think of it as one anyway, and there's plenty of Musical fans here anyway.
I don't consider it a musical either. I know it will probably be considered that because there is the music and dancing. But I never consider a film that focuses on dance as a musical unless there is also singing involved.

Anyway, I don't think these two were mentioned:
Johnny Belinda
The Lost Weekend

Good idea for a thread! I see there's been many post made since I started making my list (there were only 3 post when i first seen the thread), so no doubt some of these are repeats. They are only westerns from the 1940s that I think are well worth watching. I've seen most all of them. I will put a * by the one I think Camo might like.

Errol Flynn made lots of popcorn westerns, fun, action paced and he always gets the girl!

Santa Fe Trail (Michael Curtiz, 1940)Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland
Virginia City (Michael Curtiz, 1940) Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins
They Died with Their Boots (Raoul Walsh, 1941)Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland
San Antonio (David Butler, 1945) Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith
Silver River(Raoul Walsh, 1948)Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan

The Outlaw (Howard Hughes,Howard Hawks, 1943)Jack Buetel,Jane Russell
*Duel in the Sun (King Vidor,1946) Gregory Peck,Jennifer Jones
*Angel and the Badman (James Edward Grant) John Wayne, Gail Russell
*The Sea of Grass (Elia Kazan, 1947) western drama, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy
Blood on the Moon (Robert Wise,1948 Robert Mitchum, Barbara Bel Geddes
*Red River (Howard Hawks,1948) John Wayne, Montgomery Clift
Yellow Sky (William A. Wellman, 1948)Gregory Peck,Richard Widmark
*Fort Apache (John Ford,1948) John Wayne, Henry Fonda
*She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (John Ford, 1949)John Wayne
*Along Came Jones (Stuart Heisler, 1945) comedy Western, Gary Cooper, Loretta Young

This was one of my two top choices for the 40's HoF, but I wouldn't have been able to nominate it because I couldn't find it available for everyone else to watch. I hope others do get a chance to see it because I think it is a very good film.

I don't consider it a musical either. I know it will probably be considered that because there is the music and dancing. But I never consider a film that focuses on dance as a musical unless there is also singing involved.

Anyway, I don't think these two were mentioned:
Johnny Belinda
The Lost Weekend
You're probably right about The Red Shoes not being a musical and I should know better since I joined Citizen's HOF . The Picture of Dorian Grey is quite available throughout the net.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I also didn't see A Letter to Three Wives, All the King's Men, Dumbo, Bambi, Hail the Conquering Hero, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Song of the South, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Three Godfathers, The Letter, Duel in the Sun, They Died with Their Boots on, Colorado Territory, The Bank Dick, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Time of Their Lives and a lot more.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The Picture of Dorian Grey is quite available throughout the net.
Really? I looked and looked and didn't see it available for anyone to watch.

**I just looked. I see it now. Do we know how long it has been available because I honestly didn't see it to be so when I first looked? That is kind of giving me an idea of what to nominate for the second 40's HoF now.

Quick question : Do lists for countdowns have to be full ,meaning having exactly 100 films? And do films have to be ranked?

Some recommendations I have for the 1940's

Our Town, (1940) Sam Wood
The Undying Monster (1942), John Brahm
That Hamilton Woman (1941), Alexander Korda
I Walked with a Zombie (1943), Jacques Tourner
Road to Morocco (1942), David Butler
Jungle Book (1942), Zoltan Korda
All The Kings Men (1949), Robert Rossen
Boomerang! (1947), Elia Kazan
Pride of the Yankees (1942), Sam Wood
Jane Eyre (1943), Robert Stevenson
Kings Row (1942), Sam Wood
Going my Way (1944), Leo McCarey
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) Michael Curtiz
The Heiress (1949) William Wyler
The Human Comedy (1943), Clarence Brown
Great Expectations (1946), David Lean
The Univited (1944), Lewis Allen
The Spiral Staircase (1945), Roger Siodmak
Cat People (!942), Jacques Tourner
Dead of Night (1945), Various
The Story of GI Joe (1945), William Wellman

A cpl more that might interest some on here....

The Letter (1940)
The Glass Key (1942)
Somewhere In The Night (1946)
Dead Reckoning (1947)

Quick question : Do lists for countdowns have to be full ,meaning having exactly 100 films? And do films have to be ranked?
Participants enter lists of up to 25 films and yes they have to be ranked.
The top 100 films from all the amalgamated lists produce the overall countdown.

Participants enter lists of up to 25 films and yes they have to be ranked.
The top 100 films from all the amalgamated lists produce the overall countdown.
Thanks!

Just 25 ranked. Your #1 gets 25 points, your #2 24 points down to your #25 getting 1 point.

Edit: Too slow.

Really? I looked and looked and didn't see it available for anyone to watch.

**I just looked. I see it now. Do we know how long it has been available because I honestly didn't see it to be so when I first looked? That is kind of giving me an idea of what to nominate for the second 40's HoF now.
Not sure how long as the first I saw it long time ago in some obscure horror evenings show in state TV channel.

It's not really an obscure film at least compared to some obscure films i know of that are difficult to find online so i think it was always out there. Not that i've seen it.

I'll be picking something i haven't seen again for the 40s part 2 as long as whoever the host is is alright with it.
That would be me I said I would host the 40s Hof part 2, awhile back. If it's a film made in the 40s, and hasn't already won an Hof, then it's eligible. Even if it was nominated in other previous Hofs (but not the 40s part 1)