Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

A Woman Under the Influence

Where was this movie? Such a brilliant performance by Gena Rowlands, the authentic plot, characters and personal traits. One of my favorite that I've seen this year.

One of my favorites ever. Glad you saw it!

Manchester By The Sea (2016)

+

I was actually disappointed in this movie. You may say, Cricket, how can you rate it so highly if you were disappointed? There are two reasons for that. My expectations are one reason; I was hoping for a major new favorite. The second reason is that because I have such an affinity for movies set in and around Boston, I put them on a higher pedestal. I know all the locations and streets and the types of people, and that's something I enjoy watching. In essence, I feel that I am overrating it. I even love Blown Away, viewed my many people as a mediocre film. I do think this was a very good film, but I think You Can Count On Me from the same director blows it away. I thought Casey Affleck's performance was maybe the best of the year. This did not surprise me as he's an actor I already think highly of. I also thought the kid was great and that Michelle Williams and Kyle Chandler had great moments. Thankfully, those are the four major performances because I thought everyone else was average to weak. I thought there were meaningless scenes in the movie that could have been shortened or eliminated all together. There were also some terrific scenes, but for the most part, I thought a lot of it could have been done better. I thought the movie had a little humor to it, and that was a surprise. I did not like the musical score. I hope it doesn't win the best picture Oscar because I don't think it deserves it. Even with my complaints, I very much enjoyed watching it once.

The Wrestler (2008)
It is Mickey Rourke's performance I liked the most about this film. He was so convincing like he wasn't even playing the character. It was because the parallel between Mickey's real life and life of the character he played.

I rated it only 3 out of 5 because of the film's destructive message. He was simply so stubborn and not able to change his life destroying his relationships with his daughter and his possible girlfriend. He was on a good way to make it all better and destroyed everything again. Not even heart attack made him to change his life. You can do the professional sports to a certain age, you can party to a certain age, but then you have to move on and take a responsibility. After his daughter told him she doesn't want to see him any more, I was so hoping he's gonna get a haircut and change his life. But, zero.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Short Term 12 (2013)
+

Didn't know what to expect. It was a great indie flick. Haven't seen her in much (Rampart, The Gambler), but, this Larson chick rules.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (2017)

Funny and interesting enough, even though I don't see it labelled as a comedy. Good watch. I've always liked "Rose" from Two and a Half Men.

Revolutionary Road (2008)

why are you such a coward Leo?

Second viewing -

Humm, I remember I loved this when I saw it about ten years ago, decided to watch it again last night and just don't know where that love came from...

Boldly going.
The Fourth Kind 6/10. I don't care much for these alien abduction movies. Half the movie is the shaky-cam "film footage", the other is a "re-enactment" - I would've rather they had one or the other and not flipped between them. Will Patton plays the sheriff and he is so intense and rigid I expected him to slap somebody at any (and every) moment. It's like Signs meets the Exorcist.

Arrival

I heard a few mixed things about this movie and how many movies it was crossed with. I was actually mesmerized by this movie, I was so intrigued in the lore and human societies reaction. I will say though that the ending was a bit anti-climatic but that still didn't really take much away from the movie. I dont think it will win an oscar but it certainly may be overlooked by other categories. The actors did well especially Amy Adams I thought was a massive standout. I did actually think after I watched it if I would rewatch and though maybe 6 months to a year I may but that it not that it is bad but I feel it will take a while to absorb. Overall I really enjoyed this film and thought it was a fresh look on the Alien invasion/contact story.

4/5 Stars

Welcome to the human race...
O.J.: Made in America -

Watching this in one sitting is an experience, alright.

The Red Turtle (2016)

+

I really thought I was going to be blown away by this movie. A Ghibli production with zero dialogue that let's the animation alone tell the story? Sign me up! But, it didn't want to amaze. It's quiet, understated, and doesn't care to fill the screen like Miyazaki's work. Which is perfectly fine, I actually have a lot of respect for this movie's modesty, and cutting theatrics to zero percent. However, I really do feel like there was more going on with the story that could've made a lot more impact, with also sticking with that mindset without sacrificing the integrity of the movie. It just kind of comes, and goes. The animation is great, if a bit stiff sometimes with the backgrounds, it doesn't look as "alive" as some of Ghibli's best work. But, seeing a traditionally animated movie on the big screen is always something to be excited about. The score is marvelous, although it seems a bit bigger than what the movie is going for.

All in all, I liked it, but I'm not head over heels like some. It's a nice, relaxing, short experience I wouldn't mind just putting on to fall asleep to, in the best possible way.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

How you judge a movie often depends on how critical you want to be of it's flaws. I always try to look at the positives in order to get the best viewing experience possible. This morning, looking back at watching this movie last night, the flaws stand out much more. That doesn't change the fact that I had a total blast while watching it.

What's strange is that I felt like I had seen a lot of this before. I think that's unusual for a movie based on a true story, but the superior Sergeant York with Gary Cooper, also a true story, is very similar. Also, the filmmakers had to know that R. Lee Ermey is going to pop into peoples minds when Vince Vaughn comes in to tear some ass apart. Nobody is going to top Ermey, so even going there is a calculated risk. In this scene, Garfield's character even channels Modine's "The Joker". I thought Vaughn was a strange casting choice, but I thought he did pretty well actually. Anyway, not much originality to the movie, even down to falling in love with the right girl before enlisting. Another big problem with the movie is that it just became unbelievable. Obviously I've never been on a battlefield so this is all a guess. It's amazing to me that any of these men could even have the wherewithal just to try to save someone else while trying to save their own skin. That seems like an impossible task as it is, so what we end up getting is what appears to be an action film rather than something that looks authentic like Oliver Stone's great Platoon.

Fortunately, as an entertainment piece, I thought the movie was superb. There's a certain level of corny to it all, but it's the type of corny I can enjoy. I loved the movie as an underdog story. I think Andrew Garfield was a good fit for the role. He has a nice aura about him. My wife spent the first 20 minutes of the movie making fun of him before tuning out, but I like him, and I rooted for his character. The rest of the cast was pretty good, the action scenes were exciting, and I felt very satisfied when the movie was over. I think if you're looking for a certain type of film, you will be sorely disappointed. If you just want a crowd pleaser, it's friggin awesome.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
The Wrestler (2008)
It is Mickey Rourke's performance I liked the most about this film. He was so convincing like he wasn't even playing the character. It was because the parallel between Mickey's real life and life of the character he played.

I rated it only 3 out of 5 because of the film's destructive message. He was simply so stubborn and not able to change his life destroying his relationships with his daughter and his possible girlfriend. He was on a good way to make it all better and destroyed everything again. Not even heart attack made him to change his life. You can do the professional sports to a certain age, you can party to a certain age, but then you have to move on and take a responsibility. After his daughter told him she doesn't want to see him any more, I was so hoping he's gonna get a haircut and change his life. But, zero.
Fully agree. Sadly. most people are just like that and won't change their mind for nothing. Some simply can't stand their time is up others do it out of pure pride.

Welcome to the human race...
David Bowie: The Last Five Years -

Not a bad little doco. On a related note, the downside to trying to walk back the whole "curmudgeon" thing over the past year or so is that now most of the movies I watch get
and it's just like...okay?

I'm not very familiar with Vitor Mature but i thought he did an excellent job, he brought a commanding, menacing, presence to his role that went perfectly with the more pleasant Wyatt.
I wasn't a fan of the film myself. I'm usually not bothered by historical inaccuracies but this one did bug me a bit.

Anyway, Victor Mature is one of my favorite actors, but I love him in a "he's so awful that he's entertaining" kind of way. He got roles because he was considered a hunk, not a talent (and he was famously well aware of this fact). He did occasionally turn in a good performance though. I thought he was good in Kiss of Death and I Wake Up Screaming.

I wasn't a fan of the film myself. I'm usually not bothered by historical inaccuracies but this one did bug me a bit.

Anyway, Victor Mature is one of my favorite actors, but I love him in a "he's so awful that he's entertaining" kind of way. He got roles because he was considered a hunk, not a talent (and he was famously well aware of this fact). He did occasionally turn in a good performance though. I thought he was good in Kiss of Death and I Wake Up Screaming.
I actually thought he was very good here Haven't seen him in anything else though. I'm also pretty surprised he was considered a hunk, don't think he's ugly by any means just not what i usually think of when i think hunk... which is often.

Think i can vaguely remember talking to you about this film before, might have been someone else but when it started and i figured out it was about Wyatt Earp a conversation with someone here came to mind.