Recast your favorite movies

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
I guess he wouldn't have to get there (Jackson can just be grouchy) but I'd love to see Fat Nolte.

Nolte can gain and shed weight with the best of them.

I don't think any of the roles in Alien really lock down on age.

Bean is perfect for Kane! The role he was born (died) to play!

Other good roles for Sean: Obi-Won Kenobi, Dumbledore, Old Yeller, Rufio, the wife in Up.

Eccleston was the one I was the least sure of. Ian Holm is pretty hard to replace.
Yeah, very much so.

Eccleston would be good. I kind of prefer Ash to be played by a smaller guy. Adds to the scene where he over powers the whole crew and the robot-revelation.

Casablanca

Rick Blaine-Leonardo DiCaprio
Ilsa Lund-Rooney Mara
Victor Laszlo-Joaquin Phoenix

Eccleston would be good. I kind of prefer Ash to be played by a smaller guy. Adds to the scene where he over powers the whole crew and the robot-revelation.
That's what I was thinking, that because he's small it's better. In fact when Ash grabs Parker's chest there's probably the impression that Parker's not only surprised at the fierce power but also that it's coming from someone so much smaller.

Toby Jones is more the kind of person I would say, but his face is too interesting – you'd always suspect him. Or Rory Kinnear, but I'm not fully convinced he'd be right either. It really just makes you realise how incredibly good Ian Holm is.

On that subject I was watching a bit of The Fellowship of the Ring recently and I could see why Peter Jackson cast Holm as Bilbo over Sylvester McCoy. McCoy would have, I think, shown too much darkness too quickly. Holm's face is less animated and more innocuous; and his manner more subdued – so when, later on, Bilbo's face goes demonic as he snatches for the Ring, it's much more of a jolt. I'm pleased for Sylv that he got a role in the end .

It would be cute, but I don't think I could actually buy Freeman as imitating in any way.

I think the difference would be that having Freeman, with his individual quirks, would reveal Ash's evil in a different way. I'm thinking along the lines of Brazil:

WARNING: spoilers below
Michael Palin's state torturer

Definitely. Freeman would have a sort of weak, fighting for survival with a smile type of evil in contrast to Holm's total lack of empathy for humanity.

An old suggestion: Tom Hollander.

He's got that aloofness Holm did but is charismatic enough to deflect any threatening aspects long enough to surprise the audience later on.

An old suggestion: Tom Hollander.

He's got that aloofness Holm did but is charismatic enough to deflect any threatening aspects long enough to surprise the audience later on.
Yeah, that's a good one. He wasn't a bad Mr Collins actually.