→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
God, this countdown is so boring.
He could speed it up a tad.

And eliminate non-sci/fi movies too!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Saw Fantastic planet for the animation tournament as well as for this countdown. It had an interesting concept, original animation and was quite a good film. Unfortunately for it, it was up against Perfect Blue I believe, so no dice. Haven't ever heard of World on a wire, but it seems to have a following here, so might check it out sometime.

Seen: 17/28

I've been intrigued with Fantastic Planet since I was kid but never saw it. Have never heard of World on a Wire. So, didn't vote for either.

The first from my list to make the cut! I had World on a Wire at #8.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I didn't vote for it, but World on a Wire is Rainer Werner Fassbinder's super-cool four-hour virtual reality epic mini-series which was not only the first film of its kind that I know of, but also one of the most-realistic with basically no reliance on F/X. It has many veterans from other Fassbinder films, but Klaus Löwitsch really shines as a sort of Bogart character who has to track down what's going on with all the mysterious deaths and disappearances occurring as the world and he, himself, seem to go crazy. Fassbinder's meticulous direction keeps the image full of mirrors, TV screens and doppelgangers and other clues and misdirects at every turn. It certainly improves with each viewing. It's on TCM occasionally and Criterion. Fantastic Planet is a trip but another I didn't vote for.

My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)

Seen: 28/28
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 10/28

We've gone on holiday by mistake
My list so far.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
very glad to see Fantastic Planet make it - did not make mine though
and World on a Wire definitely seems to be a hidden gem. Especially with Lime and MarkF talking about it.

My List: 2/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)

Watched: 19/28

SCREW FANTASTIC PLANET!!! WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP
Better than No Country for Old Men, Casablanca, Magnolia, The Tree of Life, Kill Bill vol. 2, Children of Men, Inside Llewyn Davis, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Before Midnight, and The Dark Knight...

COMBINED!

Better than No Country for Old Men, Casablanca, Magnolia, The Tree of Life, Kill Bill vol. 2, Children of Men, Inside Llewyn Davis, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Before Midnight, and The Dark Knight...

COMBINED!
Hey I dug Fantastic Planet, but let's not go crazy.

Tree of Life is absolute crap though.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
As a fan of sci-fi I was expecting to do quite while with this list in terms of how many I'd seen. I certainly didn't think there would be anything I hadn't heard of but World on a Wire isn't one I had any knowledge of.

Fantastic Planet I have seen. I wish I hadn't

Maybe we need more debate.

Such as: where do we draw the line regarding what classifies as sci-fi when it comes to dystopian futures. For instance, most people wouldn't call The Road (2009) sci-fi, especially since no explanation is given as to the state of this near future and we are left to assume it could be any number of cataclysmic scenarios. But is The Road really much different than Mad Max: Road Warrior (1981 - and its sequels)?

Does a dystopian future only become sci-fi if it involves some level of technology or a scientific explanation on how it became dystopian? If humanity is cast backwards to where there is no usable technology, and the reasons for it are unclear, is it sci-fi?

I'm not that into sci-fi and didn't watch much for this so i haven't had much to say. Would've probably been more boring if i was posting regularly haha, just saying why i haven't been.

Plus i have only seen 13/28

I'm not that into sci-fi and didn't watch much for this so i haven't had much to say. Would've probably been more boring if i was posting regularly haha, just saying why i haven't been.

Plus i have only seen 13/28
Why haven't you been, Camo? (posting more regularly, that is.)

Why haven't you been, Camo? (posting more regularly, that is.)
Just said why haha. Haven't seen more than half the films so far and i haven't had much to say about the ones i have for whatever reason. Usually i post the most in every countdown thread so i'm sure people are happy to see less of me haha.