Elite: Dangerous

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just got reminded of this. It's pretty marvellous:

I can't fly like that, don't have VR, (and it's almost a shame that cities are mainly just improvisation playgrounds right now)... but damn I want the game to invite more of this

There's a guy on reddit who knocks up badass concepts. One of his 'simplest' was a player-placed checkpoint system for the various racers out there. Would be a great step towards making this more normal. (Although I'd love more missions that require more close flying around bases and CQC assets too).

^^Click for a ton of his stuff^^

His scientist lab conceit ties a few of his concepts together and is particularly tight. His more recent thoughts on Orrery-Map-meets-Background-Sim-Events is also pretty damn classy. All his Reddit submissions here.

(Yeah, I'm in ED daydream land again )

Yep I'm definitely in dream mode. Uploaded this excerpt, from this longer interview, because the potential is so g*ddam badass...

Add the beasts 'swimming in giant great gaseous clouds' he mentions elsewhere in that interview, and long-long term, this game really is derangedly ambitious

If you seek a ridiculous ship name prior to 2.3, this silly site could be of use.

I had some luck with setting it to: Adverb+Verb+Alliterate

Currently thinking my fleet will be known as:

FAS: Thunder Horse

Asp: Far Fall

Anaconda: The Exotic Tusk
But this will all change. All except for...

(It has to rear up to use its point defence, and its cannon goes boom. It's definitely Thunder Horse )

A system of cells interlinked
Where are these cities you speak of - is that something in Horizons?

Yep cities are all Horizons stuff, on landable planets (ones without atmospheres: metallics, rocky, icy). The biggest ones look like that and have some fun stunt flying potential

They essentially just act like stations though, with a longer arrival times and some unique goods. There are also bases which can be infiltrated by buggy to sneakily scan their info, or blatted from above with missiles to take out their defences. (You can get missions to take out their reactors or destroy their skimmer defenders etc). And there are the bespoke Engineer bases (guys who can mod your kit).

Ultimately planet gameplay is still kinda under-utilised though. Aside from scanning around for materials with the buggy, which is pretty atmospheric, there's not a mammoth amount to do compared to the space lanes. Many Horizon-ites like me are kinda waiting for them to get more mission templates and mass action zones down there

Ay, best plan

There are many things for you to twirl around and crash into still... Hell, you could try doing this impossible thing before breakfast... (skip to 1min51secs)

Best tried in the docking tutorial tho

(That's actually incredibly hard, as he's matching the station's rotation. Having a go at flight-assist-off in the mining scenario, scooting around rocks while turning to face them etc, is well worth doing though. Especially if you ever feel your combat game needs upping )

And yeah, until you feel you've hit a wall with ED content, Horizons can definitely wait. It's getting better, but it's not essential yet. (Plus you'll get all the quality of life stuff for free when the update drops in about 3 weeks )

It's my favourite bit . But an absolute bastard too. Don't mind it until you feel you need an edge though - like if you feel you're being out-turned a lot, or ending up in too many jousting competitions. It can help mix a lot of that stuff up. It's kinda like the power slide of space flight - just one you can sustain for ages if you practice a bastard amount

They finally got most of the Beta working

It's mainly cosmetic changes (Multicrew bit not in yet), but there seem to be chained missions now. (You just don't know they are one until you've done the first bit. Not sure I'll trial until it's live).

Tatty, they're gonna sell Beta access again from tomorrow, but not sure there's any rush.

Have some pretty from Reddit in the meantime

No gameplay at these places yet, planned for later update. So it goes

The People's Republic of Clogher
Tatty, they're gonna sell Beta access again from tomorrow, but not sure there's any rush.
Thanks bud, but I'm waiting on Horizon Zero Dawn to hit my mat and am still a couple of chapters away from finishing Yakuza 0. I tried Tweetering at ED a few weeks back when I had the game time to spend but got no reply.

Cool, this all feels like glam layers anyway. Stuff to savour down the line. They're getting the scale in more for sure tho...

We're in our cockpit, and we are small

Everything else is all about the vibe. Human bubble vibe. And alien vibe outside it

WARNING: "Aliens!" spoilers below

Oh lord, when they finally knock the kinks out of Multicrew we can blow my Conda up together

(Auspiciously I've just made this... )

Did everyone in the Beta get a pass for Sirius?

I'm taking advantage of the Beta cheap ship deals to buy everything I can get my hands on, but am maining a Python.

Liking the handlebar

Yep I seemed to get a Sirius pass too. Haven't dropped by though. I set out to see the purple-hued asteroid base out in the Witch nebula, but realised there's a big old permit zone making the route really tricky now.

I should really try out the new up-ranged Orca. Something about it has always called to me as a ridiculous ram-nosed pimp machine. (Possibly the fact that it was added so long before passenger missions. It was born in absurdity )

There doesn't seem to much to Sirius - One station and one outpost. Only tried the station and it doesn't even sell any rares.

Are you Sirius?

That whole sector has a big reduction on ships & parts due to the PowerPlay faction. Got my Conda round there. Not sure why the capital is important though. Probably alien story stuff, the faction's big into exploration and expansion lore-wise.

Once the doctor gave me that ointment (and a spare applicator) I have ceased to care about the Thargoids.

Anyway, I'm now a space Mega-bus driver! Behold Big Bertha!

This is a straight-up Mass Effect screenshot.

This is a straight-up Mass Effect screenshot.
Ay, it's tip-toeing into some other game territories slowly

I couldn't help but daydream about full multicrew recently, especially what a mobile mechanic role could be like. Think my favourite dream sequence was this bit...

Cannibalising Dead Kit:
  • Taking usable kit from defunct modules (heat sinks, energy capacitors etc) to improves ones that are still viable. This seems much more skilled and situational than a magic 'fix things with hammer'. Could imagine him upping the fire rate in a remaining weapon by adding a salvaged capacitor, overclocking your engines temporarily to aid against an agile opponent, collecting hull debris to give you one more precious heat sink!
Dealing with hull breaches and such would be cool too tho

I'm just kinda hoping they're using all this R&D time to drop a sweet 3.0 launch on us. Ideally something involving mechanics which mirror the 'easy to pick up, hard to master' aspects of the flight model, while dodging excessive menu management. Think they've got the dev nous, just need the time...

(In the meantime I'll just bombard their suggestions forum with stuff like this )