The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

GBG - this is actually surprising.
I would have thought for sure that Sheldon, if anyone, being the anal-retentive uber-nerd that he is, would have argued for TMP being the best. It's by far the most scientific, the most cerebral, and the most classically science fiction. And he would've really disliked IV for being too comedic (we all know Sheldon has no sense of humor).
In summation - I think this was terribly out of character for Sheldon.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GBG - this is actually surprising.
I would have thought for sure that Sheldon, if anyone, being the anal-retentive uber-nerd that he is, would have argued for TMP being the best. It's by far the most scientific, the most cerebral, and the most classically science fiction. And he would've really disliked IV for being too comedic (we all know Sheldon has no sense of humor).
In summation - I think this was terribly out of character for Sheldon.

Maybe, but it was funny.

Oh! And Sheldon says that 1 failed on music?
That theme music by Jerry Goldsmith was adopted by The Next Generation to be used throughout it's entire 7 year history and in some of their movies too. None of the other Trek movie's theme music could make a claim like that.

Oh! And Sheldon says that 1 failed on music?
That theme music by Jerry Goldsmith was adopted by The Next Generation to be used throughout it's entire 7 year history and in some of their movies too. None of the other Trek movie's theme music could make a claim like that.

Yeah, I have to agree with you about the music. One of the few good things about ST:TMP was the music.

Yeah, I have to agree with you about the music. One of the few good things about ST:TMP was the music.
Yes indeed.
If 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris had a baby it would be Star Trek the Motion Picture!

Makes me wonder if the original Solaris will make the list (you'd have to be some kind of nut to put that on your top 25 list!) I could see maybe the remake (with that dreamy but politically obtuse George Clooney), but that 1972 Russian weirdness with 10 minutes of watching a Japanese highway? Please!

Yes indeed.
If 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris had a baby it would be Star Trek the Motion Picture!

Makes me wonder if the original Solaris will make the list (you'd have to be some kind of nut to put that on your top 25 list!) I could see maybe the remake (with that dreamy but politically obtuse George Clooney), but that 1972 Russian weirdness with 10 minutes of watching a Japanese highway? Please!

I'm not a big fan of the original Solaris, so I'll let someone else argue that movie with you. (But I'll be surprised if it doesn't make the countdown.)

I see what you did there!

Feels good.

Oh, and as a Star Trek fan, I must say that The Motion Picture has one of the best scores ever put to film. To bad the movie itself is the cinematic equivalent of a silent fart in an elevator. Quiet, dull, and slowly suffocating you.

I'm not a big fan of the original Solaris, so I'll let someone else argue that movie with you. (But I'll be surprised if it doesn't make the countdown.)
I agree. It's weird enough and has a cult following, and since the MoFo is a very cultured crowd... I mean, look where they put Avatar. It's obvious that the sci-fi contingent of the MoFo does not represent your "general audience" demographic.

I just better not see any Transformers movies show up at this point!

The Original Solaris with 1972 "Russian weirdness with 10 minutes of watching a Japanese highway" (it's more like three or four minutes or if you're right it didn't feel like that to me) will make the countdown, and not to ruin things but it may or may not have been high on mine.

Great movie

Stalker will make it too.

Although I have many issues with it Avatar Is My 23rd Film From my list. One can argue many things but what is clear about the movie is that it sure is a sci fi movie. And one of the biggest Science Fiction movies all time.

The Original Solaris with 1972 "Russian weirdness with 10 minutes of watching a Japanese highway" (it's more like three or four minutes or if you're right it didn't feel like that to me) will make the countdown, and not to ruin things but it may or may not have been high on mine.

Great movie

Stalker will make it too.
You've got a dwarf in your room, don't you Camo?

You've got a dwarf in your room, don't you Camo?
After i posted my write-up for it i actually remember Citizen saying you find that the most (or one of the most) disturbing scene in film haha. Yeah, messed up scene. It's also a bit funny since neither of them mention what just happened.

After i posted my write-up for it i actually remember Citizen saying you find that the most (or one of the most) disturbing scene in film haha. Yeah, messed up scene. It's also a bit funny since neither of them mention what just happened.
Messed up? Happens to me everyday. Guess you could say it's only a "small" problem.

Indeed. The dwarf scene really freaked me out.
My weird experience with Solaris was, upon first viewing I hated it - like, it's weirdness really started to make me angry because I had sought out a good sci-fi film that evening, but then I kept falling asleep during it.

The following week I kept thinking about it and feeling compelled to watch it again, which I did.

Sooooo, is Gravity gonna be on this list? Our is the jury still out on whether it's sci-if or not?
I would've put Apollo 13 on my list, but it isn't sci-fi.

My only problem with Gravity is that my pal Rules doesn't like Sandra Bullock (and it's got that dreamy but politically obtuse George Clooney).

Gravity will make it. I think if we made this in 2014 it would have been very high but the enthusiasm for it has seemed to die down. Don't see it making the top 25, most like top 40 or so though.