Roy's 20th Century Movie reviews

→ in
Tools    

I can never remember what numbers are in his name? I don't think just @Matt works, or does it?

Edit: Nope didn't work as Matt is a member who hasn't posted in like 15 years.

I can never remember what numbers are in his name? I don't think just @Matt works, or does it?
I edited it and it works now.

Prince of Darkness (1987)

Genre: Horror, Thriller
Starring: Jameson Parker, Lisa Blount, Donald Pleasance

Get out the Orville Redenbacher’s, because that’s the kind of movie you have here.

The story: After being forgotten and harnessed for nearly 2000 years, the Devil is finally surfacing, and in the form of green liquid stored in the basement of an old church. His presence was felt by a priest, and there are changes in the earth and sky to mark his emergence. This theory isn’t proven, so a group of graduate students and a few others are sent to the church to confirm that this green liquid is just a harmless energy/mass/lifeform. They also have to decipher some sacred scripture that lies there, which may tell the forthcoming of the Devil. And they’re all having the same reoccurring dream, transmitted from a future reality in which the Devil rules the world, meant to forewarn them of what will happen if they don’t stop it. Meanwhile, there’s a gang of silent homeless people gathered outside of the church, all of whom are possessed. They’re waiting for the researchers to come out, so the homeless can slaughter them for their master. Alice Cooper stars as one of the derelicts. The Devil/demons are starting to possess the people inside too, and he plans to conceive a physical manifestation of himself with one of the women. He can’t become truly powerful until his spirit becomes corporeal.

Compared to the other ‘80s horror films John Carpenter directed, such as They Live, Prince of Darkness isn’t one of his best efforts. It’s fun to watch, but the plot is mediocre. Some of the special effects and acting are laughable, but expected given the story's innate cheesiness. And there’s this annoying bass line that plays throughout the entire movie, just like in They Live. The story's proposed concepts are interesting, but they get smothered by the typical horror movie sequence of events. What we have is the classic teaser, a movie that looks great at first, but then proceeds to shatter most of your expectations. That said, if you’re looking for a movie to watch at midnight with a big ol' bucket of popcorn, Prince of Darkness is a great choice.

-

You know that was remade as Payback with Mel Gibson?
Really? Never even heard of it. Have you seen it, and is it any good?

Point Break was a good flick, although it didn't reach the high hopes I had for it.
What was it that disappointed you, or discredited the hype? I thought the story itself was standard and rather straightforward, but the cinematography is what carried it. The contrast colors, editing, camera angles, etc. The visual appeal is probably one of the main selling points. That and Lee Marvin's great performance. Some don't like the ending.

It was one of the 60's movies I was most looking forward to back when we did that countdown. I just didn't think it was as exciting as I had hoped.

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe not.

Also lmao at mark recommending Payback, that really is what you'd get if you remade Point Blank but managed to take out anything good about it first.

Maybe not.

Also lmao at mark recommending Payback, that really is what you'd get if you remade Point Blank but managed to take out anything good about it first.
Maybe not what?