Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Lego Batman Movie

"What's the password?"

"Iron man sucks."

This movie is awesome.

The fourth wall is broken from the start as Batman narrates the opening credits and logos. It's like Deadpool. But better. And instead of violence and swearing, there's Lego. There's as much for adults as kids in this. I laughed more than I've laughed at a film in a long time. The first ten minutes of this is a gloriously ridiculous action comedy set-piece. The film is stuffed with references to other Batman movies, superhero movies in general and cameos from other franchises. It also works well as a deconstruction of the whole idea of Batman, as the new police commissioner Barbara Gordon asks a room full of people why, despite having the heroic Batman, Gotham is still the most crime ridden city around and suggests that Batman work with the police force. Legally.

The lego itself is part of the story, not quite as much as with The Lego Movie, but it's still significant enough to justify it being a Lego movie. On on level it's still a kid friendly story about how it's better to have friends and family and work together, but on another level it's a riot of fun, an affectionate send-up of the superhero genre that still works as a superhero film in its own right.

The lego animation looks fantastic as well. Really good. And there's an incredible attention to detail in the backgrounds and small details, all of which make it feel like a quality product, not some hastily drawn fodder to keep kids quiet for two hours.

If you haven't already, you may wish to see:

Widmark, like in so many other flicks, is incredible AND, this time, the lead! and is still not a good guy. Great movie!
Thanks ! I'll make sure to see it. So far I loved Widmark in Dassin's Night and the City aswell. Great noir.

Yup. Assassins Creed was a pile of broken dreams and burnt dust.
And not in a good way.

Let the Right One In

"cute" story and a good movie overall.

Silence

Being an atheist I knew it was a risk but decided to watch it.
It started with a 40min delay and several resets to the projector but no one left the room.

Probably the most striking factor to me was that despite tons of references to Portugal, despite having portuguese characters there wasn't a single person who could speak portuguese or even say words like "Deus" and "Portugal" in a portuguese way.
Liam Neeson doesn't strike as a priest, far from it. Why not put Diogo Morgado instead of him? Lot cheaper.
Maybe it surpasses my understanding of the world. Or maybe it doesn't and I'm simply not a fan. Enjoyed the movie and there's some good parts in it and another good performance by Andrew Garfield.

Passengers

Let's just say I enjoyed Silence a bit more.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)
and the character is essentially invincible, throwing any kind of tense drama out the door.
Give these films some credit though, it's no Arnold or Bond action film where every bullet literally misses them. What I enjoyed about the first John Wick, is that he's NOT invincible. He gets shot, he's just prepared for it with vests and what not. He gets hit by a car and captured at one point, he doesn't magically get out himself, he needed help.

I haven't seen the sequel (yet) but I hope it follows the same pattern set out by the first film. John Wick everything that was wrong and tiresome with the action genre, and spun it on its head.

Suspect's Reviews

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Cold War 2 - solid sequel to the 2012 police action-drama with Aaron Kwok's character now the police commissioner who finds himself in a power struggle with longtime rival Tony Leung Ka-Fai and things get so heated up that Leung nearly pulls the Michael Douglas "greed is good" card when he goes to any length to remove Kwok from office so he can become the new commissioner. Chow Yun-Fat plays a lawyer who serves on an ethical committee who doesn't choose sides but just wants to make sure the law of Hong Kong is upheld. Great action sequences, very intense drama. This is a step above its predecessor in my opinion. And there is a cliffhanger from what I understand Cold War 3 is in development.

FInal Rating: A-

Give these films some credit though, it's no Arnold or Bond action film where every bullet literally misses them. What I enjoyed about the first John Wick, is that he's NOT invincible. He gets shot, he's just prepared for it with vests and what not. He gets hit by a car and captured at one point, he doesn't magically get out himself, he needed help.

I haven't seen the sequel (yet) but I hope it follows the same pattern set out by the first film. John Wick everything that was wrong and tiresome with the action genre, and spun it on its head.
I'll definitely give you that, I kind of respect that too. I never thought for a second one of them was going to kill him, however.

John Wick Chapter 2-8/10-Great sequel that for me, surpassed the original in almost every aspect, and is one of the best action movies in recent history. Whenever I see it again I may even rate it higher.

The Boondock Saints-5/10-One of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. I know that it's only movie goers that love it and gave it it's cult status whereas the critics hate it, and I usually side more with the former, but the critics were right about this one. It's not greatly misunderstood and it's definitely not so-bad-it's-good, it's just bad. Bad dialogue, directing, story, acting(except Dafoe), and of course, TERRIBLE characters. The Saints themselves weren't terrible, but we learn nothing about them to make us terribly invested, and of course, Rocco. One of THE worst leads that I can remember. Completely unlikable and obnoxious and I was waiting for when he'd leave the film.
The worst aspect of the movie though, was just how juvenile the whole thing was. It felt like it was made by a Tarantino-obsessed 16-year old. I'll admit I found some mild entertainment in some of the action scenes, and Dafoe was great, but this movie was really a mess. Took a lot of the big aspects of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction such as stylized violence, non-linear storytelling, extreme profanity, and accidental darkly humorous deaths, and didn't realize that the success of those 2 classic came about from a good script.

Reservoir Dogs-9/10-Just rewatched this. Was also on Amazon Prime and figured it'd be good right after seeing a flamboyant ripoff of it. This film never gets old. Great characters whom we get to know through the fantastic dialogue, unforgettable moments, all of which build up to an incredible climax.

Legend in my own mind
John Wick Chapter 2-8/10-Great sequel that for me, surpassed the original in almost every aspect, and is one of the best action movies in recent history. Whenever I see it again I may even rate it higher.

The Boondock Saints-5/10-One of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. I know that it's only movie goers that love it and gave it it's cult status whereas the critics hate it, and I usually side more with the former, but the critics were right about this one. It's not greatly misunderstood and it's definitely not so-bad-it's-good, it's just bad. Bad dialogue, directing, story, acting(except Dafoe), and of course, TERRIBLE characters. The Saints themselves weren't terrible, but we learn nothing about them to make us terribly invested, and of course, Rocco. One of THE worst leads that I can remember. Completely unlikable and obnoxious and I was waiting for when he'd leave the film.
The worst aspect of the movie though, was just how juvenile the whole thing was. It felt like it was made by a Tarantino-obsessed 16-year old. I'll admit I found some mild entertainment in some of the action scenes, and Dafoe was great, but this movie was really a mess. Took a lot of the big aspects of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction such as stylized violence, non-linear storytelling, extreme profanity, and accidental darkly humorous deaths, and didn't realize that the success of those 2 classic came about from a good script.

Reservoir Dogs-9/10-Just rewatched this. Was also on Amazon Prime and figured it'd be good right after seeing a flamboyant ripoff of it. This film never gets old. Great characters whom we get to know through the fantastic dialogue, unforgettable moments, all of which build up to an incredible climax.
I loved it but just preferred the original

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks ! I'll make sure to see it. So far I loved Widmark in Dassin's Night and the City aswell. Great noir.
Then Pickup on South Street may just very well be up your alley. I do believe YouTube has a pretty good copy. I first saw this after reading a review by Cricket, which pretty much sold me on checking it out.
If you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Take Care

Meanwhile:

Perfect Blue (Japan 1997)
Cannot technically call this a rewatch since I haven't seen it since it first came out and never in its entirety.
A psychological thriller that truly does not let you know what the f@ck just happened - and THAT actually entices, not frustrates. Bringing you back around for a series of rewatches to make your own theories.

After Hours (1985)
This saddens me to no end.
On the other hand this could be the very FIRST TIME I ever rated below a 3. The lesser known reason for that being: If I do not enjoy a movie in the first 10 to 20 min, I simply do not continue watching. Skipping bad movie experiences simply because: at being over 50, life REALLY is too short to waste on a bad movie experience. So I don't bother.
But recently I have been very happily surprised at a number of movies through HOFs and for this one I decided to take a chance and wait it out
And to my frustration, sticking it out to the very end, this movie re-affirms my belief that if it don't work for me in the beginning -- it ain't gonna.

This SHOULD be right up my alley. A number of actors I enjoy, the premise: a hapless individual is unable to escape a spiraling series of misfortunes and crazy characters, is one I usually enjoy AND, it's directed by one of my favorite directors, Scorsese for Christ f@ckin sakes!! COME ON!! REALLY?!?! How can I NOT like it????

Well,

The 20 min mark came and the warning bells were going off. This ain't workin, shut if off.

No, no, I'm gonna stick this one out. Let's see the spiral. This'll pick up. . . really. . .

. . . .

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

+

This was a nice movie that was very easy to like. I thought the humor outweighed the touching, but it delivers on both accounts. It reminded me a little of a Wes Anderson movie. I've always liked Sam Neill and this was a great role for him. I would probably love it if I saw it at a different time of my life, but I would be happy to watch it again. My wife liked it a lot.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Bambi (1942)
Haven't seen this since I was around 6 or 7 and its a pretty cool feeling to know that I found it as enchanting as I did when I was a kid.