Oscar's Best Picture 2017

Tools    

Which would get your vote for Best Picture?
7.69%
3 votes
Arrival
2.56%
1 votes
Fences
7.69%
3 votes
Hacksaw Ridge
2.56%
1 votes
Hell or High Water
0%
0 votes
Hidden Figures
53.85%
21 votes
La La Land
0%
0 votes
Lion
10.26%
4 votes
Manchester by the Sea
15.38%
6 votes
Moonlight
39 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Manchester doesn't have these moments (markf would disagree with me on that though).
Me too, pretty much every time the movie felt like being a movie it had those moments.
WARNING: "Manchester by the Sea" spoilers below
The scene where he tries to shoot himself, the burning house, the oscar scene with the wife. "I can't beat it". All of these moments just fell completely flat for me.

It doesn't sacrifice ALL entertainment, since it had some dark humour to it as well
This is probably what ruined the movie for me, it had a terrible sense of humour. I snickered once or twice maybe, but once you're completely immersed in the miserable world of Casey Affleck it comes time for some real gut laughs and there were none to be found. The only part I found funny from what you listed was the casting of Matthew Broderick, which just served as another scene to take you out of the movie.

I guess you felt the film was disjointed and scenes served no purpose to the story?
Definitely, I can't recall any specific examples because the whole thing is just a blur now, but I felt like they could have chopped a lot of scenes.

Those women 'chasing' him down are important to the story ... they showcase how detached this guy is from EVERYONE.
Trust me, the audience is going to get that with or without the idiotic scenes with women hitting on him or him attacking dudes in a bar. It's a very two-note performance, he's relatively normal before the accident and then after he turns into a sad mumble guy.

A performance like Jack Nicholson in Chinatown is infinitely more curious because his hurt is so much more concealed. Pretty much everyone has experienced loss and grief, but they don't just instantly transform once something terrible happens to them.

I'm honestly burnt out on this concept of a grumpy guy taking in some annoying kid. Up and Hunt for the Wilderpeople executed the premise in a much more theatrical way obviously, but they were also a lot more honest. Manchester just felt like an uninspired amalgamation of lame cliche's, with nothing of it's own to offer.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Now I need to see a Gosling/Lynch collaboration. Thanks.

Suspect's Reviews

Soooooo, is there any chance it won't be La La Land? A massive upset would be required for the Academy to choose anything else.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Not my pick but I'm so happy for someone so young to get the gong. May he have a long and fruitful career making movies for our entertainment.

I dont even know wht happened there. Was that staged or a stuff up?

I dont even know wht happened there. Was that staged or a stuff up?
It looked to me like Beatty got handed the wrong envelope.

It looked to me like Beatty got handed the wrong envelope.
I was looking at the confused faces in the audiences and thinking - OK I'm not alone here.

Oh dear. Someone's head is gonna roll

I loved hearing "actually, it's Moonlight, it won best picture."

Awh, that's nice, a little shout out out of respect.

"No, really, it won. There was a mistake."

....excuse me?

This might just do nobody any good.
In Beatty's defense... after the surgery, it's gotten really difficult to keep his eyes open.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Why is everyone blaming Warren Beatty? He showed Faye Dunaway the card, and she said that La La Land won.