[NEW THING] Clubs

Tools    

I think if you add a search feature and whatnot, the latter won't be too difficult.
Yup, will definitely do this before it gets too crowded. And if it does, I'll consider that a good problem to have, and probably rework the design of the Clubs page a bit to reflect it.

I meant the first one. Maybe not everyone, but of course we're planning more than the few we have now, and I'm just curious how you have figured we would go about this? Will it be per request, or are you just going to start adding a bunch of directors? Either works for me. You're the genius here.
I want this to be grassroots, so for the time being I think it should just be directors with a following that people have specifically requested and/or volunteered to Curate.

If there are really obvious omissions, I might take on a few myself or nudge others to do so. For example, I'm probably just gonna add and claim a Tarantino one right now.

From the looks of it, it's working like a consolidation of threads on the regular forums and sub-forums.
I'm not savvy on it all but I'd guess it works through tags?
Club Curators get an extra option under the Tools menu on each thread. Really easy, takes about 10 seconds to add one.

That's pretty much all the position entails for now, but obviously, that'll probably expand a bit. But I'll be surprised if it's ever a really big time commitment for anyone.

Makes sense. The only thing I'm itching for are some horror directors, but I understand if that has to be put on hold. If you are interested in popular directors, what about John Carpenter?

^^ Carpenter definitely needs a spot.

I could probably Curate that as well being a fan of The Thing, Big Trouble, The Fog etc... unless Iro would like the job as I know he's into the Escape movies.

Woody Allen's facial expression looks like a direct response to not getting a witty tagline in his club's name. I love this, you should not change it, Yoda.

Yup, good call. I'd say there's a half dozen no-brainers that need to be added very quickly.

I'm definitely most interested in thoughts about how this might be useful to you guys (or even reasons why it isn't!), though, since we'll get to all the big directors before long either way.

I'm definitely most interested in thoughts about how this might be useful to you guys (or even reasons why it isn't!)

Verhoeven/Carpenter = Useful
>
>
>
Maybe Spielberg
>
>
>
The rest

Well, I have to admit at first I was skeptical ONLY BECAUSE on an old forum I went to we had something similar (not sure if it was directors or what, though) and they died pretty quickly. However, I love this one because it doesn't feel like it relies on club participation in any significant way (at least not yet), but more as a way to easily navigate forum content based on the director. Does that make sense? In that way, it's an incredibly useful tool, and it would be good IMO to keep that as it's core appeal. Having club participation would be a cool feature, but I think that "tool" aspect is vital to the feature.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Just saw this post while on my phone, cant wait to dig in on PC when I come home, sounds great mate.

Well, I have to admit at first I was skeptical ONLY BECAUSE on an old forum I went to we had something similar (not sure if it was directors or what, though) and they died pretty quickly. However, I love this one because it doesn't feel like it relies on club participation in any significant way (at least not yet), but more as a way to easily navigate forum content based on the director. Does that make sense? In that way, it's an incredibly useful tool, and it would be good IMO to keep that as it's core appeal. Having club participation would be a cool feature, but I think that "tool" aspect is vital to the feature.
Yeah, it's definitely designed to "fail" gracefully. Worst-case scenario it's a handy way to find all this stuff in one place. And if it grows into something more, hey, cool.

Just saw this post while on my phone, cant wait to dig in on PC when I come home, sounds great mate.
Ah yes, thanks for mentioning this. I'm setting up the mobile templates now. Should work on mobile later today, or tomorrow at the latest.

Very cool idea! Yoda. I'll certainly participate I joined the Billy Wilder Club for now, but I'm interested in other Director's Clubs too...I can also curate a couple of them myself.

I haven't looked the Clubs over enough to have any practical ideas from first hand experience....But shooting from the hip, I would say any type of cool perks or fun features that only the Club members get access to, would be a big plus!...and also would be an incentive for people to join and stay active.

For example maybe Club members could have some control over what content appears in a club. For example they could decide on what older threads were relevant and remove the ones that they didn't need in their club (I mean remove the thread from the club, not remove from Mofo).

Maybe a perk could be a built in Shoutbox type conversation for the club members.

Maybe under our avatars could be a link that says something like: Club Member and the link would go to a landing page of all the clubs that the person was a member of. Sort of like how you can see any members list page.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
You my boy Green!

This seems like a really great idea. Thanks.

These were mentioned by Rodent: Spielberg, Verhoeven, Donner, Nolan, Lynch, Carpenter

I would think Spielberg & Carpenter would be shoe ins. And Rodent is enthusiastic enough about Verhoeven that it would work too I'd join that one myself.

Hitchcock is a definite who hasn't been mentioned. There's loads of threads about him and reviews of his movies.
We need Hitch!

If there gets to be too many clubs for all of them to fit on the same page, and some are inactive or only have one member, then maybe those should be retired.

Yeah, this isn't anywhere near "done" in terms of features or content. This is a beta, or a proof of concept, so don't think too much of how many directors are missing. I just want people to try it out and let me know what kinds of ways they think it might be useful, and then we can start expanding.

This looks really cool Yoda. Makes me want to do some reviews too. I would be willing to be curator for Hitch if you want to add it as well. Probably be tomorrow night before I can dig into tagging but it's no problem, since I know he probably has a bunch.

Ok, I'm off to get Miss Vicky to join the Wes Anderson club.