President Trump

Tools    

Not just that, but people obviously stand a greater chance of making a difference in a) the country they actually live in, particularly when it's b) a democracy. Affecting policy changes in a non-democratic state halfway around the world is a lot harder, and you can probably make a good case, strictly from a pragmatic point of view, that it's a better use of time.

Which isn't to say that a lot of people marching yesterday don't have incompatible views on radical Islam and domestic issues. I'm sure plenty of them do. But there's not an inherent contradiction, and if we always responded to every protest with "X is worse, go protest that," then a lot of still important issues would never be addressed.

So I tend to think that's only a good response when the gulf is huge (IE: protesting one rather than the other shows patently disordered priorities) and there's a similar chance of affecting change for both.
You make some good points, Yoda and I agree with you about arguments of "equivalence."

In my rants on fundamentalist Islam I often make the same counterpoints you did when rebuttals include, "Well look what Christians did in whatever place a thousand years ago" or "Well, look what the Jewish scriptures say about smiting this one and that one." I'll usually give reasons why those things are not comparable to current situations and state that they are issues irrelevant to assessments of modern political Islam & terrorism.

But in the post above mine, TheUsualSuspect had posted a link to "Pictures From Women’s Marches on Every Continent." So I was responding not just to an isolated American protest, but to a global one.

You yourself said, "people obviously stand a greater chance of making a difference in a) the country they actually live in, " But we're looking at global protests in response to the perceived misogyny of one individual.

Now - focusing on the concept of global protests - people are basically protesting the words of one man and the fact that he got elected despite them. On a global level, I don't know of any worldwide protests ever occurring that condemned or decried massacres of innocent people, the slaughter of women and children or the ideology that sanctions & encourages such attacks - not even after 9/11.

I guess my point is, it's staggering that so many people all over the world (a world currently subject to ongoing massacres of innocent people) can come together as we saw on Saturday to protest an individual due to repugnant words caught on a microphone in a stupid moment when they were showing off and didn't know they were being recorded, but no one can come together on such a global level to protest or even mention an ideology that is literally killing women, gang raping little girls, selling them into slavery, forcing them into marriages with insane sadistic men who regard females as livestock and are taught that having sex with children is an example set by a holy man, and mass murdering innocent people all over the world.

Over and over - we see such a level of outrage at things that are relatively inconsequential, while there is hushed silence and even tacit support for an ideology that is committing an ongoing holocaust on a global scale.

Sometimes, you really have to give the mainstream media a chance to catch up and verify. I don't think that in this case, Heavy is lying or bending the truth.

How does this link suit you?

Trump inauguration ratings second biggest in 36 years

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/21/trump-inauguration-ratings/
Entertainment Weekly?! No. Oh my gosh just from being a movie buff you should know better regarding the magazine "rags". Know what the difference is between People, Entertainment Weekly, and the National Enquirer? Not a whole damn lot. Movie Max the internet has no rules, and theres a webpage out there for every desire. Take a source that you know is reputable even though they might not always agree with your feelings, and youll gain more ground. Your salty enough, but "Fake News" is becoming more and more a thing now. Hm, I wonder if EW and Heavy included the protestors in that figure? Do Time, or Newsweek give that same figure?

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
First meeting, these two may find that they have a lot more in common than they previously thought.

http://perezhilton.com/2016-05-19-ju...ht-elbow-video

http://perezhilton.com/2016-10-07-tw...ts-about-women

These things blow over so much faster when you're "hot".

If Trump keeps getting soooo upset at every little thing, the man is going to blow a fuse! before he even gets started in his presidency.
What a mess that guy is. Any other president would have either:

A, Not commented on the inauguration crowds.
or
B, Said something like, "He was pleased to have shared the moment of his inauguration with the people of America."

Damn! I sound more presidential than Trump. Citizen Rules for replacement president

I guess my point is, it's staggering that so many people all over the world (a world currently subject to ongoing massacres of innocent people) can come together as we saw on Saturday to protest an individual due to repugnant words caught on a microphone in a stupid moment when they were showing off and didn't know they were being recorded, but no one can come together on such a global level to protest or even mention an ideology that is literally killing women, gang raping little girls, selling them into slavery, forcing them into marriages with insane sadistic men who regard females as livestock and are taught that having sex with children is an example set by a holy man, and mass murdering innocent people all over the world.
Register Trumpism as a religion and watch the tolerance flood in.

Pastafarian can wear strainer on head in license photo
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...gion/75862946/

Oh, so Times figures are the same then?
TONGO, they don't factor in streaming. That's why I'm curious for the numbers to come out...

Donald Trump’s Inauguration Brings in Over 30 Million Viewers
Ratings figures top former President Barack Obama’s second inauguration, but fall behind 2009

Nielsen’s figures don't factor in live-streaming across the web, an increasingly popular way for viewers to watch coverage of big events. Live feeds from media companies such as the New York Times, CNN, BBC News and The Wall Street Journal aired on Facebook Live, and PBS streamed coverage on Twitter, for example.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...ers-1485039516

Trump's inauguration—the swearing in, parade and various balls—garnered 30.6 million viewers across the 12 networks that aired the ceremonies between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. The largest share of these viewers (8.8 million) watched Fox News, and the majority (19.2 million) were over the age of 55. Streaming is not included in any of these figures.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maddiebe.../#11a01e8e4c8c

On a lighter note: who was Tiffany paired up with for the Inaugural dance?

P.S. Why so many balls? (celebratory dances, that is.) Just seemed like overkill. Why not just one big ball?

Welcome to the human race...
But in the post above mine, TheUsualSuspect had posted a link to "Pictures From Women’s Marches on Every Continent." So I was responding not just to an isolated American protest, but to a global one.

You yourself said, "people obviously stand a greater chance of making a difference in a) the country they actually live in, " But we're looking at global protests in response to the perceived misogyny of one individual.

Now - focusing on the concept of global protests - people are basically protesting the words of one man and the fact that he got elected despite them. On a global level, I don't know of any worldwide protests ever occurring that condemned or decried massacres of innocent people, the slaughter of women and children or the ideology that sanctions & encourages such attacks - not even after 9/11.
It was my understanding that there were ongoing military occupations and drone strikes being targeted against the nations that were deemed responsible - since the state is already enacting these actions against the fundamentalists, there's not really that much need for the people to protest the fundamentalists themselves. It's not like the government's response is an ideal one either as it still results in collateral damage to innocent people anyway.

If you seriously think that that's literally the one and only reason that millions of people from all over the globe turned out to protest the man, then you haven't been paying attention. It may just be the most obvious instance of the ways in which Trump comes across as a sexist pig, but it's more than just a social faux pas. It's indicative of the sort of regressive attitudes that Trump not only holds personally but is willing and able to embolden in citizens and colleagues alike, allowing them the power to change policy and social mores in ways that genuinely cause unnecessary problems for women (with an recent example being the plan to defund Planned Parenthood). Yoda is right in that opposing Trump and his associates for their misogynistic attitudes and actions isn't necessarily at odds with disliking Islamic State for the same reasons, but there is a vast difference between protesting a terrorist cult on the other side of the world and protesting a thoroughly unqualified leader whose political decisions can prove just as dangerous to the American populace as any terrorist attack (if not more so). Also, given America's status as a superpower, the president's decisions will also have reverberations on an international scale, so now you know why people around the world would be willing to voice their concerns over his capabilities.

Over and over - we see such a level of outrage at things that are relatively inconsequential, while there is hushed silence and even tacit support for an ideology that is committing an ongoing holocaust on a global scale.
The irony is staggering.

Yoda is right in that opposing Trump and his associates for their misogynistic attitudes and actions isn't necessarily at odds with disliking Islamic State for the same reasons, but there is a vast difference between protesting a terrorist cult on the other side of the world and protesting a thoroughly unqualified leader whose political decisions can prove just as dangerous to the American populace as any terrorist attack (if not more so). Also, given America's status as a superpower, the president's decisions will also have reverberations on an international scale, so now you know why people around the world would be willing to voice their concerns over his capabilities.

The irony is staggering.
It's not just a terrorist cult on the other side of the world, but a spreading ideology that has and is establishing footholds in virtually every nation on Earth, implementing its own misogynist codes to supercede secular laws, and which is growing geometrically and recruiting untold numbers from the wider Islamic community to its most extreme factions.

If you don't realize that, then you haven't been paying attention.

The President's decisions do indeed have reverberations - Trump hasn't even been in office a single business day yet to make any official decisions.

Victory in live video streaming: Trump inauguration drew record online audiences
Mr. Trump’s inauguration is a record-breaker for live online video streaming to phones, computers and digital devices — significant in an age of constantly evolving hybrid media and consumer behaviors.

Akamai Technologies — which provides delivery of video content to major news organizations, corporations, retailers and organizations around the world — has this to report: “Video streaming coverage of the 2017 Presidential Inauguration is the largest single live news event that the company has delivered,” calling the event “a new benchmark for live video traffic” which bested such events as the Rio Olympics and the 2016 Euro soccer tournament.

Their measurements are precise. The coverage reached a peak of 8.7 terabytes per second at 12:04 p.m. ET during the opening of the president’s speech, exceeding the previous record of 7.5 terabytes — Tbps — set during Election Day coverage in November. And what the heck is a terabyte? The term refers to a data transmission rate equivalent to 1,000 gigabytes — or 1,000,000,000,000 bytes — per second. In terms of an audience, that measurement translates into 4.6 million people watching the streaming coverage — about what ABC and CBS garnered during the same time period.

Among many others, Akamai provides video streaming to NBC, MTV, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., the U.S. State Dept. and six federal agencies, Reuters and The New York Post.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-online-audie/

Still waiting for more confirmation, but, sure looks interesting...

Trump Inauguration May Have Been Most-Watched of All-Time

When counting live streaming video

While President Donald Trump’s inauguration TV viewership was lower than former President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration, it’s a possibility that the ceremony and speech were seen by more viewers than any president in history due to live streaming.
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2213...d-of-all-time/

Still waiting for more confirmation, but, sure looks interesting...

Trump Inauguration May Have Been Most-Watched of All-Time

When counting live streaming video

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2213...d-of-all-time/
(extremely reverend lovejoy voice) aww, that's super
criticker

It'd be kind of shocking if it wasn't, given that a) online streaming is way more common and b) even his harshest critics don't deny his ability to draw attention to himself.

Honestly I bet a lot of people watched just to see him fumble or something. I'm being completely serious here.

I guess this puts any twitter streaming in the plus column for Trump ...???

Twitter Streaming Of Inauguration Down From Comparable Events, Russian Viewing Doubled

Overall, Twitter's live stream of the inauguration had 23% fewer viewers than its Election Day live stream, according to the analysis, which also reveals the audience composition skewed toward male viewers and Millennials.

The analysis, conducted by Jumpshot, could not compare Trump’s inauguration to previous presidential inaugurations, because live streaming via Twitter was not available then.

Asked how the 2017 inauguration might have performed relative to Obama’s 2013 inauguration, a Jumpshot spokesperson said, “Unfortunately, we can’t compare the two inaugurations, since Twitter live is a relatively new feature on the platform.
http://www.mediapost.com/publication...om-compar.html