The Decade So Far: My 51 Favorite Movies from 2010-16

→ in
Tools    

15. Drive (2011)

Write-up from my top 100 countdown:

Ryan Gosling's Driver has to be one of the coolest movie characters of the 21st century. Scenes of high tensioned car chases and excessively brutal violence accentuates the Driver's calm, righteous demeanor while trying to protect his new-found love interest and her beloved son from Jewish mobsters. An awesome film that caters to both mainstream action and art house movie fans.

I apologize for stalling on this list. I just started a new medication and it's making me feel sick most of the time, so I haven't really been in the mood to do anything outside my normal responsibilities. I should start feeling better in a few days then I'll try to finish this in a 1 or 2 day span.

Thanks for bearing with me!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I apologize for stalling on this list. I just started a new medication and it's making me feel sick most of the time, so I haven't really been in the mood to do anything outside my normal responsibilities. I should start feeling better in a few days then I'll try to finish this in a 1 or 2 day span.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Thanks Swan and gb.

I'm planning on getting back to this Thursday!

Drive is my second favorite Refn film, Pusher II would have to take the top spot. I'm a big fan of his, I even liked the much despised Only God Forgives.

This might just do nobody any good.
I really like Drive. That's probably top fifteen for me. It's sort of the trendsetter for style this decade. That and Gosling cemented himself as THE male movie star of the 10s.

I've seen Only God Forgives three times and it remains an enigma to me.

I've seen Only God Forgives three times and it remains an enigma to me.
Me too. That's why I like it so much. It's a mess, and I like the more simple approach of Drive, but man, it is an entertaining, beserk ride.

I tried watching Drive once but ended up shutting it off. Should probably give it another go at some point.
Same here, Miss Vicky, but there's so much love for the film around here, I've been considering another attempt.

Sorry for the delay, where was I...

14. Whiplash (2014)

A very tense and exhilarating watch. One of the more original films of the decade. Even if you aren't a drum fan, this movie is definitely a must-watch!

13. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

One of my favorite Disney films, Wreck-It Ralph is a great story about a video game villain wanting to be good. Filled with humor that's great for video game fans (like myself), adventure, and awesome video game worlds.

12. Hardcore Henry (2015)

Completely insane nonstop and over-the-top action in this crazy Russian film. A film completely in first-person and it works really well with parts that are mind-boggling to watch!

11. Hell or High Water (2016)

One of the best crime films of the decade! A masterfully-crafted flick with great atmosphere and a chilling representation of rural Texas. Also amazing acting all around by Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, and Ben Foster.

This might just do nobody any good.
Whiplash is great. Teller does a pretty good job at keeping up with J.K. though he's, naturally, overshadowed. The ending alone makes it worth watching.

Hell or High Water is a movie I'd be willing to call perfect. It's not my favorite of 2016 but I can't think of any flaws in it. It's so economical.

Best performance of that one comes from the T-Bone Cafe Waitress:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I almost didn't watch Whiplash because I knew nothing about it before watching it, and from the title, I thought it was probably a horror movie, but when it was nominated for the Oscars I decided to check it out. It ended up being my favorite movie of the year.

Wreck-It Ralph is one of those movies that just keeps getting better each time I watch it.

Top Ten is underway!

10. The Raid: Redemption (2011)

This is a film that every action film fan MUST see. It has a simple plot but the perfect setup: a member of an elite special forces unit, with his team getting wiped out early, must travel to the top of a fifteen story apartment complex to take out a brutal crime lord. Along the way, some of the most crazy action and fighting sequences take place. This movie is just fun! fun! fun!

9. Prisoners (2013)

This is a top notch thriller by Dennis Ville... Villen... *looks up his name real quick* Dennis Villenueve! Who is quickly proving to be one of the most promising directors of the decade. Prisoners has amazing atmosphere that to me is reminiscent of Se7en, David Fincher's thriller masterpiece, and imo is just as good. Constant twists and turns that keep you guessing til the end, not to mention that Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal were amazing co-leads.

8. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

I do believe that with a few more amazing action flicks, the 2010s could be the best decade for action movies since the 80s. It's crowning achievement so far is, imo, Mad Max: Fury Road. Much akin to its 1981 predecessor, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Fury Road goes 0 to 100 right from the start and never lets up. Not only are the action sequences absolutely stellar, but they are also mainly done with practical effects. In this age of CGI, you gotta respect that!

7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Yes, I know I like this film more than you.

Being the massive LOTR fan that I was and still am, I was ridiculously hyped for this to come out back in December of 2012 (I had just read the book again as well) I was aware of the mixed reviews going in before hand, saying that it was a good film, but just short of being great. To me though, it was a great film. Martin Freeman is the perfect Bilbo, even surpassing Ian Holms portrayal, and it remain a faithful and very enjoyable adaptation of the book. Even though the next 2 films started taking massive liberties, An Unexpected Journey still took many of the very memorable parts of the book and translated them wonderfully onto the screen, most notably Bilbo and Gollum's Game of Riddles.

6. Nightcrawler (2014)

One of my favorite thrillers and Jake Gyllenhaal performances! Nightcrawler has an engaging and original plot about a young man (who's obviously a little off) armed with a camera and police scanner racing to crimes and accidents that just happened in order to capture grisly footage to sell to news stations. It's a very interesting watch seeing Lou Bloom going from a petty thief to a successful business man doing this peculiar profession. Every thriller fan must watch this one!

Big thumbs up for Mad Max: Fury Road. Definitely one of the best of the decade and barely missed my all time top ten. Haven't seen the rest, but I'm almost certain that I would hate The Hobbit.