The Decade So Far: My 51 Favorite Movies from 2010-16

→ in
Tools    

27. The Tree of Life (2011)

I had never seen a film quite like this one before. Quite a mesmerizing tale about a Texas family that ends up transcending time and space.

26. Krampus (2015)

One of the more unique horror movies of the decade. A very enjoyable movie with some great practical effects and monster designs.

25. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Bring on the hate! I've discussed before but I'm a fan of the Hobbit films even though many people hate them (I will agree that they're not quite on LotR's level) The final installment might have been extremely heavy on the CGI but was still enjoyable for me. Also, "The Last Goodbye" by Billy Boyd is an awesome ending song!

24: Ant-Man (2015)

Ant-Man is perhaps my favorite superhero film. I just found the whole character and origin story to be very enjoyable. Many of the scenes and situations also had some great comedic value, such as the climatic fight on the train set, which I thought was hilarious!

First set i haven't seen any. Didn't like the first Hobbit so i didn't bother with the others. Love Trick r Treat so i want to see Krampus. Malick is hit or miss for me but i definitely want to see The Tree of Life at some point.

This might just do nobody any good.
Tree of Life is the most fascinating movie of the decade so far. Visually, obviously, but there's really something wonderful about the way Malick connects his rumination on family, childhood and nurture with the origins of life and conscience in the universe. That level of eloquence is missing from his other outputs in the last six years.

Haven't seen Krampus but I know it's got a growing cult following. I'll be sure to check it out soon. The only Tolkein film I can consider great is Fellowship. I maintain that The Hobbit is a good 3 hour movie harmed by being stretched into a trilogy. And Jackson should have given it to someone else to direct.

I don't think I can really say anything good or bad about Ant-Man. It's the kind of movie that gets Marvel criticism for being flat.

23. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I'm pretty sure this was the first Wes Anderson movie I ever saw, so I thought the whole look of it was very unique. Very funny and engaging with a stellar cast.

22. The Hateful Eight (2015)

This is my favorite Tarantino since Kill Bill Vol 1. Most of the movie takes place in one cabin but the dialogue and characters really make it enjoyable to watch, not to mention the wild events that unfold throughout the film.

21. Dredd (2012)

An amazing, high-octane action film that's a blast to watch. I feel kinda proud that I was one of the very few people that actually saw this in theaters—as it bombed massively on its theatrical release.

20. Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

I don't really consider this a war film as much as a biopic of a great man who did something truly amazing. Running into a warzone without a gun or no way to defend yourself and saving 75 wounded soldiers is something that will probably never be equaled. Garfield did a great job of portraying Desmond Doss and Mel did a stellar job returning to the director's chair.

Grand Budapest isn't one of my very favourite Wes films but it is very good anyway. The Hateful Eight is very good too, it's my second favourite post-90s Tarantino after Inglorious Basterds.

I liked The Hateful 8 quite a bit but I didn't care for Grand Budapest at all (or anything Wes Anderson, really). Haven't seen the others.

19. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Smaug is without a doubt the best movie dragon ever. His conversation with Bilbo was perfect and one of my favorite scenes. The rest of the movie was great fun as well!

18. The Jungle Book (2016)

One of the many Disney live-action (even though there wasn't much live-action) remakes of their old animated films. Most of the ones I've seen were pretty good but I was surprised with how great The Jungle Book was. The animals were really neat looking and were voiced by a top-notch cast. Even though I'm a fan of the original Disney Jungle Book, I have to say that this one may have surpassed it!

17. The Raid 2 (2014)

Just like the first Raid, The Raid 2 offers insane, chaotic, and insanely bloody action sequences—but now with more of a dramatic story. This is truly an action masterpiece that needs to be seen by anyone that enjoys the genre!

16. Tangled (2010)

The movie that truly started the Disney resurgence that we see today. Tangled is imo one of the funniest Disney movies and arguably one of the best. Flynn Rider and Maximus the horse are 2 of my favorite Disney characters as well. A great family film that I believe anyone could enjoy.

I've only seen The Jungle Book (2016) after the last block of movies, I'd like it and in large part to Bill Murry's voice work. But I do plan on seeing Hacksaw Ridge (2016).

As i said earlier only watched the first Hobbit and didn't like it so i didn't bother with the others. The only other one i've seen is Tangled not long ago, it surprised me i thought it was very good; could've been even better without some of the songs and a few cringey jokes but it is my second favourite Disney since 2000 after Wreck-It Ralph. Agreed that damn horse was hilarious.

As i said earlier only watched the first Hobbit and didn't like it so i didn't bother with the others. The only other one i've seen is Tangled not long ago, it surprised me i thought it was very good; could've been even better without some of the songs and a few cringey jokes but it is my second favourite Disney since 2000 after Wreck-It Ralph. Agreed that damn horse was hilarious.
If pacing was the biggest problem you had with The Hobbit then I do recommend checking out the rest. I won't say that you will absolutely love the other 2 but they do move at a bit quicker pace, and if nothing else then at least watch it for the scene with Bilbo and Smaug!