Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Assassin's Creed -

I was going to write a full review, but I got out of this movie three hours ago and I can barely remember anything about it so that'll be a challenge.

Wild Tales - Really enjoyed this warped set of 6 stories. Some reviews said that there lacked a connection between the 6 stories, which I can understand to a degree. I was expecting, given the high IMDB rating, to see a final 'twist' of sorts that connected them all. But it didn't bother me in the slightest that there wasn't, because there was a similar theme of "losing your sh1t" and plotting revenge in all of them which gave it a nice focus.

8/10

'The Lives of Others' - A slow burning drama that just got better and better as the movie goes on. It gives an incredible insight into what life when the wall was up in Germany was like. Drab, regimented and soul-less. The ending is one of the best "non twist" endings I've ever seen. It was brilliantly acted by Ulrich Muhe and the script helped by being so realistic. If you're into foreign language movies I would definitely recommend this.

9/10

BARRY
(2016)

Barry chronicles the life of President Barack Obama in 1981 and 1982 when he was a student at Columbia University in New York City.

This is not the biopic of Obama that viewers might expect to see -I'm sure a real biopic will eventually be made, if it's not in the works already. The film, produced by Netflix, provides an interesting glimpse into Obama's younger years when he was forming what was to become his political and social views as an African American; a glimpse that is worth watching.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Live by Night

It's a good movie, just not as good as people started expecting from Ben Affleck. Action was on spot, costumes and atmosphere, dialog was good, I cared about what happens to the characters. Pace might be the biggest problem of the movie, it starts fast, it ends fast, but middle of it just feels like you are watching few days of their lives for a hour.

7.5/10

Another movie which I have not seen until recently. Staggeringly beautiful. I'd deliberately not read anything about this movie for years as I didn't want to spoil it. And 20 minutes in and I had no idea where it was going. It was like a mystery movie that could develop into anything....drama, crime, sci-fi. Then it just delivered a straight up heartbreaker. You get the feeling everything just came together and clicked. Harry Dean Stanton, the kid, Kinski, the French wife. All just perfect performances. And another gutwrenching ending. 9/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Wanted: Dead or Alive - 7/10

Just finished 90+ episodes.. They canceled before Season 3 started. It's good, but the novelty of a bounty hunter gets old after a while, but Steve McQueen is in it, and I haven't watched a movie in a week, so I watched this instead.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Learning Tree - 7.5/10

I never knew John Cassavetes helped the director finally make his movie by introducing him (Gordon Parks) to the head of Warner Brothers.

Welcome to the human race...
Resident Evil -

I'm in this weird spot where I do kind of enjoy watching these movies but I'm not sure how to quantify that with numerical ratings.

Finished here. It's been fun.
City of Pirates

Over the past month I've taken a step back from viewing films - due to a temporary lack of interest - but this was a nice way to begin my film viewing this year.

Ruiz constructs a dreamlike, unearthly atmosphere imbued with vivid colors and delicately crafted images.
In terms of narrative, there's very little I can add without giving anything away. It's certainly a peculiar surrealist film, and I can't quite compare it to the work of any other filmmaker (Jaromil Jires, perhaps?). This has really got me in the mood to revisit some Lynch and Fellini.

City of Pirates

Over the past month I've taken a step back from viewing films - due to a temporary lack of interest - but this was a nice way to begin my film viewing this year.

Ruiz constructs a dreamlike, unearthly atmosphere imbued with vivid colors and delicately crafted images.
In terms of narrative, there's very little I can add without giving anything away. It's certainly a peculiar surrealist film, and I can't quite compare it to the work of any other filmmaker (Jaromil Jires, perhaps?). This has really got me in the mood to revisit some Lynch and Fellini.
I watched it not too long ago and liked it. It's not perfect, but it had some nice visual elements. The ending was by far its best asset.

This wasn't a bad movie, just not for me. Life can be depressing enough, I like to get lost in a movie as an escape from the everyday world.