your most haunting and atmospheric movie scores

Tools    

i alwys thought music is an essential part of movie making, i ve had scores ring in my ears hours after watching a movie, a long lasting appeal comes from the movie score.
Anyone who understands movies knows just how important music can be to the overall quality of the film. No matter whether you're talking abou a blockbuster action movie or a thriller a strong score changes everything. A skilled composer can tell a story with sheer music in the way a director can with actors or a screenwriter can with a word processor.
Of course the irony of a bad score is that you don’t realize how important they are until you get a bad one.
music score just lets u feel the film inside and out, and gets u the mood of the film, hans zimmer has given me this in many the movies where he made the score for: the rock, rainman, beyond rangoon etc
here is my list of most atmospheric movie scores by which i would consider thrillers have this edge of your seat score with the exception of rainman, it was just that good that i had to put it at number 2
1-basic instinct (a personal favorite)
2-rainman
3-jagged edge(john barry at his best)
4-the exorcist
5-psycho
give us your personal preference, as you can see it has to be a thriller mostly to have an atmospheric movie score.

Basic Instinct is a really good one I think. I remember the theme in particular and I think Jerry Goldsmith found exactly the right feeling for it – the idea of deception and being toyed with.

Bernard Herrmann and John Barry must be the best ever composers for film, at least it seems that way to me. Dances with Wolves is my favourite Barry score; Jason and the Argonauts for Herrmann. I also like Taxi Driver a lot, even though I don't feel like I've ever seen the film properly.

I think in terms of haunting and atmospheric film scores, I'd say Toto and Brian Eno's music for Dune would definitely be up there.

There Will Be Blood

It wasn't until I saw this movie I knew how effective a score can be and I must usually take it for granted

If I can post an exception to the thriller rule, Blade Runner.
That really is haunting isn't it? Great music. Actually when Skyfall came out there were parts of the score that really reminded me of Vangelis's Blade Runner soundtrack.

Just saw it so it's in my mind right now...Wait Until Dark...Henry Mancini created one of the creepiest music scores I have ever heard for a movie. The scores for Driving Miss Daisy and Road to Perdition also deserve mention here.

i
2-rainman
3-jagged edge(john barry at his best)
4-the exorcist
5-psycho
give us your personal preference, as you can see it has to be a thriller mostly to have an atmospheric movie score.
I'll second The Exorcist, Rain Man, and Psycho

Welcome to the human race...
I could've sworn we had a thread like this not too long ago but searches aren't turning up anything so never mind.

Anyway, the first answer that comes to mind is Under the Skin.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The most haunting recently was Sicario. The music and shots really made Mexico feel otherworldly and menacing. Very tense and full of dread.

Edit - After looking at my profile pic it reminded me of silence of the lambs so I'll throw that one in too. Lol

Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
There Will Be Blood
Hana-BI
It Follows
Suspiria
The Thing
Vertigo is also one of my favourite movie

If anyone planning on going to the movies this month ,check out which are the upcoming list of movies this Jan 2017 at earn the necklace.

I could've sworn we had a thread like this not too long ago but searches aren't turning up anything so never mind.

Anyway, the first answer that comes to mind is Under the Skin.
That was great. When I watched The Witch the music reminded me a lot of Under the Skin.

plus 1 for u mate, great choice and i actually forgot to mention it, definitelt top 5 for me