Scorsese's Silence

Tools    

So is Garfield replacing DiCaprio as the guy who can't fake accents? Granted I like Garfield, so I'm just bustin' his chops.

The only thing i've liked Garfield in is Boy A. I hated him in the social network and as Spider-Man. He's the only reason i'm nervous about Silence.
Social Network is what made me like him.

Obviously I have to see this movie now. Nice to see Liam Neeson being able to actually act again too. The action movies are great for the pocketbook, but the only one I remember is Taken. Oh yeah, and A-Team.

I'm a huge scorsese fan but this doesnt interest me

The only thing i've liked Garfield in is Boy A. I hated him in the social network and as Spider-Man. He's the only reason i'm nervous about Silence.
I really liked him a lot in the first chapter of the Red Riding trilogy, which I liked as much as Boy A, playing a young reporter who stumbles into a conspiracy while investigating a murder. Since then I think his two best performances are from the past couple years in 99 Homes and Hacksaw Ridge.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I do think i'm being a bit unfair because i haven't seen him in much, not seen any of those you mentioned. Planning on watching Hacksaw Ridge soon and the Red Riding trilogy sounds good.

I saw it today and I was blown away. Not that I loved it but the quality of the film, the art of storytelling and the raw emotion and subtlety of the film really left me amazed. I'm not into religion but a good story can make any subject matter interesting. Recommended!

6 Reasons Why Scorsese’s Silence Is Worth the 30-Year Wait

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/ot....w710.h473.jpg

Nearly three decades ago, Martin Scorsese purchased the rights to Japanese author Shūsaku Endō’s novel Silence, which follows two Jesuit priests from Portugal on a quest in 17th-century Japan. After reading the book on a train to Kyoto, Scorsese fell in love with the story of man’s connection to faith in the face of great persecution and was inspired to make a film exploring this spiritual conflict. Over the past 30 years, Scorsese has fought unceasingly for this namesake passion project, working through arduous script-rewrites and relentless legal battles even as he stockpiled Oscar nods for other hits, including a win for The Departed.

Like some of Scorsese’s past projects, namely Kundun and The Last Temptation of Christ, Silence explores Christianity in dark and complex ways, centering on the physical and spiritual journey of Sebastião Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield) and Francisco Garupe (Adam Driver) as they attempt to rescue their mentor, Father Ferreira (Liam Neeson). Ferreira’s been captured by the Japanese government after introducing Christianity to Japanese villagers post-Shimabara Rebellion, an uprising in southwestern Japan that began in 1637 and was fueled in part by the countrywide prohibition of Christianity. (After the rebellion, this prohibition was strictly enforced.)

The film will open nationwide January 13, after having premiered in New York and L.A. on December 23. And there’s already Oscar buzz around the project — for Scorsese’s directing, Garfield’s performance, its screenplay, and editing. Here, we break down six reasons why Silence has taken nearly three decades to bring to life, and why it’s more than worth the wait.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/reaso...ence-film.html

I thought this was a great film - but I'm wondering why these missionaries just didn't leave? They knew about the Dutch - why didn't they get on a boat and go?

This might just do nobody any good.
I liked him in SW too. I think David Fincher described him best; "[He's] too good at wearing his heart on his sleeve..."

I can see how that kind of attitude would put someone off. You definitely get that from him here.

Anyways, I saw this on the weekend and thought it was fantastic. I'd go as far as to say it's Scorsese's best this century. Maybe even since Goodfellas. Issey Ogata is soooooooo fun to watch.

Must be doin sumthin right
WARNING: "Silence" spoilers below
Andrew Garfield's character struggles with keeping the faith during his time in Japan and all his questions are met with silence from God. Then when his futile trip reaches the point where he finally just can't take it anymore, can't watch another person die for his beliefs, he's finally given an out by the voice of God/Ciaran Hinds. God tells him it's fine to forsake Him and spend the rest of his life working with the Inquisitor in stamping out Christianity and damning an entire nation. Garfield becomes the new Neeson who he had previously called a disgrace. But when Garfield dies, him secretly having kept his faith is played as a moment of triumph. Triumph despite the fact that most of his life was spent in the service of a government rooting out Christians. I didn't know what to take from that.

My favorite character/performance was the Inquisitor's sidekick. Loved his bemused conversation with Garfield in the cage. Also loved Neeson's first scene with Garfield when he describes the son/sun of God misinterpretation

I thought this was a great film - but I'm wondering why these missionaries just didn't leave? They knew about the Dutch - why didn't they get on a boat and go?
Because they thought spreading the Word of God--and finding their friend and the truth about him--was more important than staying alive.

I might be too busy to talk as much about this film as I'd like, but I will say that I think they omitted the single most important line in the entire book from it.