1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Then it must have been some sort of miniature they built, cause I wanna say I saw smoke drifting from buildings and clouds moving across the sky. Could it be a simple backdrop where they project a real horizon recorded earlier?

I think you are right Clazor, the city scape was a miniature set built for the movie. I'm sure the buildings weren't rear projection as that's always easy to spot...but the skyline and clouds? It looked real good, but looked created. It's a good question! Now you got me wondering how Hitch did it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
There's a dialogue in between when Jonathan and Einstein bring the body through the window but the music never stops being dark and mysterious, till she knocks! Then it keeps the same atmosphere but with the wedding march melody which works great! It's around the 50 minutes mark.
thanks for the time mark on it and I know the spot in the movie, it's just pretty funny that it never clicked to me lol

Looking forward to my rewatch of Rope. And yes, Clazor, Hitchock had a great sense of humor. There was a tv show similar to Twilight Zone hosted by and named after Hitchcock and many of the openings had lil bits of humor by the big man.

Have you discovered Hitch's cameo, Clazor? It's probably my favourite one!
Yes, but I must confess it wasn't my own doing.

WARNING: "Rope Hitch Cameo" spoilers below
I watched Rope unleashed as I said in the review, and there they mentioned two, one where he's walking down the street during the pre-movie credits and another that they created, but according to Laurents it didn't make it into the movie (or rather, it did but it was out of focus, so it was hard to see it for what it was). Hitch created a neon sign with his profile that can be glimpsed through the window.

It's presence can be felt in another way though. In the final minutes of the movie, when Cadell wrestles with Philip over control of the gun, a red light flashes for a few seconds, seeming to come from outside. I believe that's the neon sign shining on the pair.

Let the night air cool you off
thanks for the time mark on it and I know the spot in the movie, it's just pretty funny that it never clicked to me lol

Looking forward to my rewatch of Rope. And yes, Clazor, Hitchock had a great sense of humor. There was a tv show similar to Twilight Zone hosted by and named after Hitchcock and many of the openings had lil bits of humor by the big man.

How Green Was My Valley

Wasn't sure what to expect going into this since my experiences with Fords films haven't always been great, i had already seen The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Stagecoach the latter i love and the other two i found underwhelming although The Searchers desperately needs a rewatch. Thankfully i thought this was excellent. The start of this was excellent i think it can be seen as a bit hokey but in my opinion it was crucial to make the towns depression later effective. It started off ridiculously charming, the narration and playful music especially made this a really cozy film. I think the small Welsh village played into this as well; it looked beautiful both naturally and through Fords direction. Then we have the close family, loving parents and the rest of the community during the wedding scene and subsequent celebrations felt like an extended family; it was a great portrayal of a very happy community. So when you see the sign saying wages are being cut with the omninous music playing it is such a sharp turn towards coming gloom that it worked really well at least for me, it made me care. I honestly think this is one of the most powerful films i've seen because it is such great storytelling; it never felt manipulative or cloying which is an amazing feat since there's so many sad scenes/scenes of hardship. Plenty of scenes really got to me like Beth being completely overwhelmed with emotion at the town who she and her family were just at war with coming together to sing her songs of well-wishing after her recovery; coming together for one of their own despite the problems they have. Anyway there's really too many different stories to go through without repeating myself; i though all of them were handled really well and i can't think of any bad acting which again is some feat from such a large cast. It's surprising to me that this is only two hours long and this is a positive as it really feels like an epic when you consider how much actually happens and how naturally the passage of time feels; not one scene is filler that i can remember at least.

One thing i do want to point out because it surprised me is that i think the romance was done very well and truthfully it didn't need to be since it wasn't that important. As i said my main problem with The Suspect was how i don't think Laughton and Ella Raines relationship was handled well; it was too quick and so i didn't really care about them much. Here Angharad and the preachers love was handled masterfully without much interaction; even the first scene at the celebration where they smile at each other and once he goes past her she is sitting in the background nervously playing with her hair followed by the time they talk outside her house. It worked very well i thought, mostly because it was well acted and written, i mean the celebration scene when she was touching her hair she wasn't even the main focus but my eyes were drawn to her because i felt the first time they looked to each other there was something there. I think it says something about the quality of this film that a relationship that was basically a brief sidestory (i mean they aren't in too many scenes together) was done so well.

Anyway fantastic film. Amazing score and absolutely beautiful as well, didn't think there was much point going into that since it seems pretty well covered in the other reviews. Thanks for nominating Daniel.

Sent my list, i decided to send it right away because i liked the majority of the films and some i liked a similar amount so i just went with how i'm feeling right now rather than overthink it and never decide haha. I'll still stick around to read the reviews and discuss the films.

Glad you enjoyed it so much Camo I'll be watching a few more films soon, just been hectic the last month with a new job and Christmas celebrations. Haven't watched any films in general.

excellent write up, camo. Ford IS an excellent story teller and with the cast of this movie they really bring it home.
I remember that scene you spoke of regarding her playing with her hair in the background after their eyes met. It was very tangible. Much like so many other scenes - so much going on, but never cluttered or overwhelming.

And welcome back, Daniel!

OK, that was funny right there. As a matter of fact, I just recalled another piece of his dry wit and a taste of how he was a genius at building up expectation. After seeing Psycho for the first time I checked out the bonus material on the Blue-Ray. In it I found the trailer for the movie and it in itself is a little masterclass in how to do everything wrong in setting up a movie and yet making a perfect teaser for a movie at the same time. If you've seen the movie, check this out and be amazed at how he set everything up. If you haven't seen the movie, I can damn near garantee you'll want to after seeing this.

WARNING: "Discussion of the trailer" spoilers below
He de-dramatizes everything he talks about, yet stops just short off describing what happens. No one would make a trailer like this, then or now, but because he does it so well it works. This is totally one of my favourite trailers. The look he gives when peeking into her wardrobe, it could just be some ugly clothes that makes him pull that face, or it could be a decaying body; we don't know and he'd probably make that face either way. Also, the fake-out with the bathroom. The first one he looks into gives the impression of him not being familiar with the house, like he was getting lost. The second time he mentions it, we connect it with the previous time, but now he goes in, why? And then the finish, which scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it, and I knew what had happened! And it still scared me because of the quite tone of the rest of the trailer. Everything so far had been one giant build-up for this final punch to the face. And the line about seeing it from the beginning or not at all wasn't just a line. The theaters screening the movie was ordered not to let anyone in after the movie started. If you missed the curtain, you missed the screening. Period.

Just seen your fantastic write up too Clazor, glad you enjoyed it so much too

Great performances throughout. I don't think there was a bad acting job in the movie. The children in the background roles weren't much to write about, but since they got about a line each, I'm not arguing. McDowall, playing Huw, was the only kid to get a bigger role, and I found him to be a good actor. The boy he portrayed seemed a bit...what's the word...mature? Trying to act above his age? In swedish we use the word "lillgammal" about a child acting as if he's older than he is. It's not a put-down, it just felt a bit weird seeing a boy who, judging by that break in his voice, just hit puberty ask to be his sister-in-law's stand-in husband for want of a better term. That said, it's the only not overly postive thing I have to say about the acting.
A note on this, notice how the film takes place over a large period of time, but Huw always looks around the same age. It's interesting how Ford doesn't take too much care when it comes to ageing characters, something I've noticed in his other films too, I think it's interesting especially as we're seeing the story through his eyes and he is showing/telling us what he sees around him.

Waterloo Bridge (1940)

SPOILERS for the movie.

This was a beautiful movie. Too bad I hate sad endings.

Seriously though, this was a good movie. Vivien Leigh was amazing as Myra, bringing across a nuanced performance like few others I've seen (as well as being very beautiful). Yet, I can't understand why she couldn't just tell Roy the truth. The outcome would either be the same or better if she tells him. Tell him and he dosen't understand, you follow through with what you intend. Tell him and he doesn't care, she hits the jackpot and marries him. Yes, you run the risk of redjection, but risking it is a lot better than trying to preserve some semblance of the fiction you've created in someone elses head. The only thing that happens then is that the people left behind forever wonders why after you're gone, causing hurt when you tried to spare them that exact thing, thus failing in what you set out to do. This "noble sacrifice" only ever helps the one dissapearing, as they don't have to stay for the aftermath. I've allways found this trope infuriating, as it could potentionally be solved by actually talking with the one you profess to love and care about. And as I said, if it goes bad, there's allways the first choice left to you (not that I'm recommending it).

Taylor does a good job as the noble british officer, but he does pale a bit in commparison to Leigh. Being somewhat of the more upbeat relief of the film, his ever sunny disposition helps with the otherwise sombre tone of the movies second half.

As it was, the ending was very well orchestrated. The total loss of joy and will to live is shown plainly on Leigh as she watches her friend walking towoards Waterloo station, contemplating her future in the womans steps. She then turns and starts walking in the opposite direction, watching the trucks passing over the bridge. The quicker and quicker cuts between her and the trucks' fronts clearly indicating what she's about to do...and then the squealing of breaks and cut to black. We don't even see the body or the aftermath of Roy finding out. There's no need.

I wonder now if it wouldn't have been better if they'd never met on that bridge, and if asked, what they'd chosen for themselves?

In the end, this was a well made movie with great acting and a strong execution by the director. The ending aside, I'm very glad to have seen it. Good nom, CR!

a very fine write up, Clazor and if I can, I'll make an attempt at your question regarding why she never told him:
When I saw this I was very surprised to see, not only his uncle, but his mother caring very much for her. Which I found very beautiful to see and any "talk" about her being of a lesser station was merely a momentary whisper among guests during the party and nothing more. So we never see, directly, what hung in the balance, and therefore, her fears.
Being as this was an upper class family and Taylor's character did mention just how high a position of honor and standing that was his branch of service, I'm sure that Leigh's character's greatest worry was shaming him by what she had to do during the war. Regardless of whether he continued to accept her in spite of it, it would still remain a mark against him and his family and she cared far too much for him and for them to do that to them by telling him the truth and staying with him. Realistically, such a thing would result in social blacklisting and possible removal from service; or perhaps loss of rank - I'm unsure.
In the end, she couldn't go on without him, nor take the chance of losing her resolve and cause him disgrace by being with him. She definitely couldn't go on in the life that she had fallen into. So, she chose the only path she believed left to her.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Hitch number four then. Is it the best one yet? No, but it's not bad for all that.

Teresa Wright returns for the third time in this HoF, and I do believe I like her in this more than the other two. Seeing as she's the main character along with Cotten, she deffineatly gets more to do here than in either Foxes or Pursued. She also get a wider range to act out of, though stil being confined to the role of loving, innocent daughter who trust everyone and only thinks kindly of them (at first).

The intro had me a bit worried, with everyone speaking over each other (can't stand that in movies). Had that continued for longer than the five minutes that the movie alowed it, I'd probably turned it off. As is, I got trough it with less patience than the parents showed.

Regarding the family, it's nice to see them doing something other than than just the normal family unit. The younger daughter being obssesed with reading, the father discussing the best way to kill his co-worker, it's as Wright comments: "We're hardly average." The co- worker especially, I liked their discussions about the different aproaches to killing, the father being more the pragmatist while Hawkins goes more for the flair and technical angle. Basically, the father discusses how he'd actually kill someone, while Hawkins focuses on a senario fit for a novel, including clues and such.

And then Cotten enters the story (at least more so than when he did in the opening). At first he seemed the nice uncle, but very soon thing are set into motion. The very night he arrives he's forced to take action to keep the family in the dark, something Wright quickly picks up on. To be honest, he's kinda clumsy and careless about things, acting too rash when Wright picks up on how oddly he acts. They're alone, so I guess he doesn't need to be smooth, but come on! Some form of standard should be striven for. He walks around pretending to be civil all day, can't he muster something for the one person most likely to discover him?

The mystery isn't much of one, but as inLaura it's not the point, I feel. It's again more about Wright's character keeping her family sheltered from the truth and the interactions she has with Cotten that works as the central narrative. The detectives, too, seems not to be a main focus, Cotten never even tries to do something about them, not surprising as he ever only attacks women incapable of fending him off. It's only ever Wright who's in danger (aside from a widow who might be a future victim that accompanies Cotten as he leaves), but as she can't tell anyone about him, lacking proof, she tries to manage as best she can.

The ending was a fitting one I think. Again, due to sheer ineptitude or rotten luck, Cotten brings his end upon himself, spareing Wright's character the choice of letting him go or telling the rest of the family the truth.

Overall, I'd say it's the least of the Hitches I've seen so far, but a good acting effort from both Wright and Cotten, with some quirky roles from both Travers and Cronyn, made it a fun watch and I'm glad to have seen it. The mother too, when not being simply a wet rag/ serving staff, gets some good lines in. She shines when her daugther gets caught in the garage and I believed the worry she showed (even though I'm hard pressed to believe that any mother would actually leave her child 30 seconds after bringing it back from the brink of death). Good nom, Sean!

P.S.
I did spot the Hitch cameo on my own this time, but then it was very obvious, I think.
D.S.

Right, I'm done then. Will make my list and send it in a bit, but will of course stick around to read reviews and post.

I just have How Green Was My Valley left. I was going to watch it today, but it looks like I might not have time now. I predicted that I would likely finish this HoF by the new year, so just to prove myself right, I'll definitely make time to watch it tomorrow regardless of my plans for this evening.

Done! List sent. And now on to watch some more Sci-fi for the top 100. And did my ears decieve me, or did an anouncement of the 12th HoF with start tomorrow really happen? Oh goody!

3 lists so far. I will be watching Waterloo Bridge and pitting my list together. Rauldc has been steady and Cosmic about to be done, that's half of us. I would love to hear from the rest on where you're at.