Swan's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Having seen Krampus recently, I can only confirm that you've said what I felt. It's not a bad idea on paper but the execution felt lacking. Oh, well.

Still due to re-watch Everybody Wants Some!! in time for end-of-year lists, not sure how it will hold up but I guess we'll see.

Still thinking about Pieces. Funny how I can't think of any other movie with quite the same vibe, even amongst trashy sleaze. I don't think many people expect that from a movie like this.

I watched Pieces recently and feel the same as you. Have you seen Torso? I get the feeling it's similar, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

I have but I need to watch it again. I barely remember anything about it. I'll rewatch it soon and let you know what I think.

Only watched Everybody Wants Some. My favourite of the year so far, i'll probably rewatch it myself some time in January. I'm interested in Krampus like you because i love Trick 'r Treat, hopefully i like it a bit more than you. Never heard of Pieces but that gif/your av look hilarious.

I have to return some videotapes.
Trick 'r Treat was a fun commentary, Swanny. I think I just liked it more because you actually finished the commentary

Moonlight -
+
(Barry Jenkins, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

Really, really good flick. Some of it felt a bit familiar for something so bold, but at the same time all of it felt true to real life as best I can tell. And it’s only grown in my mind since I saw it, which is definitely a sign in its favor.

Silent Night, Deadly Night -

(Charles E. Sellier Jr., 1984)

[REWATCH]

It’s no good really, but at least it knows it. I don’t have as much fun as I want with this one, but I have to give it credit for being sincere with what it is.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -
+
(Gareth Edwards, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

I sit in the theater thinking about the sad current state of major blockbuster cinema, and a man behind me begins snoring because of how f*cking boring this movie is. When I leave the theater, someone unenthusiastically touts that this is the best of the remakes, but the way he says it makes me wonder if it’s praise or someone trying to find some sort of new hope… and coming up short.

I’m not seeing any great Spielbergian blockbusters like Jaws or Close Encounters of the Third Kind coming out these days. I’m not seeing masterpieces like the original Star Wars trilogy. All I’m seeing is prepackaged dishonest mediocrity, and it leaves me a bit disheartened. While I was watching this movie I tried to think of one blockbuster film of today I would consider a modern classic. I couldn’t think of anything. And honestly I think it’s pretty stupid that Disney applied the Marvel template to Star Wars. At the end of the day, I wish nothing existed but those original three films. That said I maintain hope for Episode 8, because I like Rian Johnson and don't see him letting go of his artistic integrity. I hope that's true.

But in this film's case I was just left feeling sad, and not in the ways it might have intended.

Man i love Silent Night, Deadly Night, you are spot on it isn't a good film in any way and it knows it. I think i find it more fun than you do; the scene with his grampa near the start is one of my favourites because i'm not quite sure what they were actually going for there but they pulled some weird stroke of genius off probably accidentally And the guy who kills his parents always brings Billy Bob Bad Santa to mind.

Damn at Rogue One. Going to see it tonight. The last big blockbuster i completely love is The Dark Knight; i know it is an obvious one and it has plenty of probably justified backlash but meh i still really love it.

Yeah I definitely like Silent Night, Deadly Night, just not as much as I wish I did. I agree that the grandpa scene is my favorite.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -
+
(Gareth Edwards, 2016)
I sit in the theater thinking about the sad current state of major blockbuster cinema, and a man behind me begins snoring because of how f*cking boring this movie is. When I leave the theater, someone unenthusiastically touts that this is the best of the remakes, but the way he says it makes me wonder if it’s praise or someone trying to find some sort of new hope… and coming up short.
I see what you did there

To be fair I thought Rogue One looked really good from the trailers and would break that mold I've been seeing in blockbuster cinema of late. I'm not like, going into this expecting it to suck. That's partly why I was saddened. I wanted to like this.

I've also always thought of myself as a Felicity Jones fan. Imagine my disappointment when her character was entirely bland.

Welcome to the human race...
Oh, dang, and here I was thinking that I was underrating Rogue One with a

Also, I take it you don't exactly consider Fury Road to be an especially above-average blockbuster.

To be fair I thought Rogue One looked really good from the trailers and would break that mold I've been seeing in blockbuster cinema of late. I'm not like, going into this expecting it to suck. That's partly why I was saddened. I wanted to like this.
Agreed.

I've also always thought of myself as a Felicity Jones fan. Imagine my disappointment when her character was entirely bland.
True.

I was slightly more generous, with a final rating of
, but in the end we can agree that it was unfortunately no good... a shame.

Oh, dang, and here I was thinking that I was underrating Rogue One with a
Oh wauw.

You must be a huge Star Wars fan, Iro. It seems weird to me that a movie with so many obvious problems and especially loads in the story and character department apparently don't effect your thoughts of it that much and even might make it a
by the sound of it. Quite surprising.