2017 Golden Globe Nominations, Film

Tools    

From the Globe nominees I have seen Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Deadpool, Sing Street, Nocturnal Animals, Loving, Captain Fantastic, Arrival, Miss Sloane, Elle, Jackie, The Lobster, Rules Don't Apply, The Edge of Seventeen, Kubu and the Two Strings, Moana, and Zootopia.

I'll be seeing La La Land on Friday (been listening to the soundtrack for days, now), and whenever they make their way here, Fences and Hidden Figures (both due Christmas Day, in my neck of the woods) as well as 20th Century Women.

I did not seen earlier releases Florence Foster Jenkins or War Dogs or the current release Trolls. I haven't heard yet if Scorsese's Silence screened in time to make the Golden Globe ballots, or if the HFPA simply didn't go for it? Based on what and who they have nominated in the past, Silence as well as Eastwood's Sully may yet grab some of the highest profile nominations from the Academy, and Hidden Figures, Loving, and Jackie may do better than Hacksaw Ridge, Lion, and Florence Foster Jenkins did here. Not sure how Hell or High Water will do at the Oscars, but I like that movie a whole lot, so I hope well.

Oscar nominations are announced the morning of Tuesday January 24th, 2017, sixteen days after the Golden Globes ceremony.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Deadpool was nominated for... well, anything?

Alas. Westworld go!

Hell or High Water was a great film. I'm glad it got a Best Picture nod.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Have you seen Manchester By The Sea and La La Land, or do you disagree with them for a different reason?
well with casey affleck its also the fact that he sexually harrassed and assaulted several female coworkers. which i expect there is devided opinion on here on wether that should have a say.imo it should

Wait, has it been released in Norway already? It isn't here till mid January and it was only limited released in the states 4 days ago.
And not wide. This time of year drives me crazy. I need to move to LA.

Welcome to the human race...
You're telling me that Jared Leto sent all those condoms for nothing?!

But seriously, not too bad a batch but I can't comment on all of them since quite a few of the major ones haven't come out here yet (hell, Loving doesn't even come out until March). Still not sure why there's this much hype over Nocturnal Animals, though.

Still not sure why there's this much hype over Nocturnal Animals, though.
Yeah, Nocturnal Animals didn't do much for me, either. Very convoluted structure that doesn't really amount to much. When the most compelling aspect of your film is by far an "unreal" narrative that is supposed to be a sort of Noir metaphor for a relationship we don't really even care about, maybe you should have just focused on making a good straight up Noir and jettisoned all the hollow artsy-fartsy stuff around it?

We'll know next month, but I have a feeling the Academy won't go for Nocturnal Animals as heavily as the Hollywood Foreign Press Association did. This is fashion designer turned filmmaker Tom Ford's second feature. The only Oscar nomination his first movie A Single Man got was for Colin Firth's performance. If Amy Adams makes the cut for Best Actress this year it will much more likely be for Arrival. Somehow Jake Gyllenhaal's only nomination to date is for Brokeback Mountain, but I don't see him getting his second one here (though for my money he gave one of the year's best lead performances in Demolition, which has less than no awards traction).

Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Globe nod here is nice for him and he has had a good career transition from pale young Brit to Kick Ass to here, but I don't think his over-the-top white trash sleaze monster is going to tower over the myriad of potential Best Supporting Actor choices to make it at the Oscars. A few years back the Globes nominated Daniel Brühl in Ron Howard's race car drama Rush, which did not translate into an Oscar nod, and this feels like one of those kinds of picks for them. Going against the grain, maybe a bit of an outside the box pick, but it won't be enough by itself to catapult him into the Oscar mix. If there is a surprise nom next month from this movie, more likely it will be Michael Shannon, not Taylor-Johnson. But I think it's even more likely John Legend would show up for La La Land before Aaron Taylor-Johnson. With strong contenders who didn't make the cut here like Ben Foster in Hell or High Water and Lucas Hedges in Manchester by the Sea, I wouldn't bet on Taylor-Johnson.

Nocturnal Animals isn't bad, but it definitely feels like less than the sum of its parts. Worse movies have gotten high profile Oscar nominations so nobody should be shocked if it winds up with some biggies, but my bet is that the Oscars give it less consideration.

Welcome to the human race...
Not only that, but I was under the impression that the story-within-a-story was supposed to be a deliberately weak and clichéd revenge story so as to reflect the whole "failed writer" aspect of Gyllenhaal's character and that this is the best he could come up with after being "inspired" by Adams' character. It doesn't speak well that it ends up being the more interesting half of the film because it's made a little too well, but that's you get for bringing in Shannon.

In any case, Ford getting a director nom reminds me of the Academy nominating Lynch for Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive in that it's throwing the Weird-But-Not-Too-Weird Art Film a bone but in all probability won't go any further than that.

Yeah I really want to see Manchester by the Sea, Miss Sloane, and Nocturnal Animals
Miss Sloane is a big old "meh". Chastain is good, she usually is, but the movie itself is like a fancy "Law & Order" episode (it even co-stars Sam Waterston), with "twists" that were easy to see coming a mile and a half away. Some years they are kind of scrambling to fill all five Best Actress Oscar slots with worthy performances because so few American movies star women or have complex and interesting roles for them, and in a year like that I could see Chastain's performance making the Oscar cut. But this year is full in that category. Natalie Portman (Jackie) and Emma Stone (La La Land) are locks to be there, while Isabelle Huppert (Elle) and Ruth Negga (Loving) are very likely. That leaves one or maybe two spots and plenty of other candidates. Viola Davis (Fences), Amy Adams (Arrival), Taraji P. Henson (Hidden Figures), Annette Bening (20th Century Women), and some broad named Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins), for starters. Very crowded field, and that doesn't even include outside shots from indie arthouse fare like Tilda Swinton in A Bigger Splash, Hailee Stienfeld in Edge of Seventeen, Kate Beckinsale in Love & Friendship, and Rebecca Hall in Christine.

Too many good ones to choose from, and without Miss Sloane being a particularly strong or even popular movie, it would take a lot for Jessica Chastain to make the Oscar top five, this time around. She is a two-time nominee, for The Help and Zero Dark Thirty, and former nominees do seem to have an easier time of getting back, but most of her potential competition has been nominated before, too. Only Huppert, Negga, Beckinsale, and Hall would be first timers, from the thirteen I named above. I think the odds are stacked against her in 2017.

As I went into a bit above, I thought Nocturnal Animals has lots of problems. But Manchester by the Sea was excellent and actually lives up to the hype and praise it has already received. I'm going to see that one a second time in the theater before it leaves.

What are your favorites thus far this year?
Still have a lot to catch up with in the next five or six weeks. During the week between Christmas and New Years alone I usually catch around ten movies, each year, and I am seeing Rogue One this Thursday and La La Land on Friday. Won't really start formalizing a personal list until a couple weeks into January, but from what I have seen so far (in no particular order) Manchester by the Sea, Loving, Sing Street, Captain Fantastic, Green Room, Moonlight, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hell or High Water, Midnight Special, Jackie, Louder Than Bombs, Demolition, Sully, Christine, and Arrival were standouts. Plus The Lobster, depending on whether it is considered a 2015 or 2016 release?

And I tend not to see obvious junk anymore, something like Warcraft, for example. But from what I have seen, by far the most baffling, dead-on-arrival misfire from a filmmaker with a decent track record that I suffered through was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Woah, what a dud.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
My personal preferences on the film wins, from the nominations that is.

Best MP Drama: Hacksaw Ridge or Manchester by the Sea.

Best MP Musical or Comedy: Deadpool

Best Director: Mel Gibson or Barry Jenkins

Best Actor Drama: Casey Affleck.

Best Actress Drama: Jessica Chastain.

Best Actor Comedy: Ryan Reynolds

Best Actress Comedy: Hailee Steinfeld

Best Sup. Actor: Maershala Ali or Jeff Bridges.

Best Sup. Actress: Viola Davis

Best Screenplay: Hell or High Water or Manchester By the Sea

Best Animated Feature: Kubo and the Two Strings (All the way, no competition.)

Best Original Score: It could go to any of them they're all fantastic. (Except for Hidden Figures, and that's just cause I haven't seen it yet)

Best Original Song: City of Stars

Best Foreign Language Film: Neruda.

Here are the winners from last night's ceremony...

BEST PICTURE, DRAMA
Moonlight

BEST PICTURE, COMEDY/MUSICAL
La La Land

BEST DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle, La La Land

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Isabelle Huppert, Elle

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Ryan Gosling, La La Land