Best SURVIVAL Films!

Tools    

- best survival I've seen recently and it's a masterpiece

Now you've given me a present by alerting me to this movie. Thanks!
Although I'm not sure if I'll be up to watch at 3:45 in the morning! But often times TCM will put movies they've recently shown in the On-Demand list!

Wasn't sure where to post about this, but I just saw a listing for a movie called The 33 (2015) on HBO movies.
I haven't seen it because I didn't even know it had been made!

What I do know is I kept saying I can't wait for them to make a movie about the Chilean mine disaster & miraculous rescue since it happened in 2010 - I remember following it on the news as it played out.

Now I feel stupid that, not only did I have no idea a movie was in the works, but that one was made and released a year ago!
I'm looking forward to this since I love survival films!
Anyone seen it?

P.S. I like the fact that it looks like they used a largely Hispanic cast. The movie Alive (1993) has long been one of my favorites, but it felt a little strange because it was about a Uruguayan soccer team, but almost all the actors were very white Americans.

So I watched The 33 last night.
Hard to rate it since it's a true story where I knew how it ended since I followed it on the news.
Still, I enjoyed it as a survival film. It had some touching moments and an uplifting ending.

WARNING: "Spoilers:" spoilers below
The film takes a turn after a drill from the surface makes contact with the trapped miners. There was some info there that I wasn't entirely aware of. I did know that they were able to devise a system of delivering small items through the bore hole which extended the time the miners were able to survive, but what I didn't know was how this changed them. At that point, since starvation & dehydration had been staved off by deliveries from the surface, the men turned to in-fighting and resentments. It was a bit off putting seeing them on the brink of death, then once the deliveries began, seeing them decked out in sports fashions & gold chains yet still trapped. (Is it a Chilean thing that men NEED gold chains even when trapped with other men in a mine? I could see sending them new clothes and shoes, but jewelry? Did that really happen or was it just in the movie?)

Technically survival though that's really just a front for the existential journey.
was going to post this!
i also like
frozen
back country
the edge
and
homeward bound

I would say
Rambo first blood" a personal favorite".
The edge
The grey

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Can't believe no one has mentioned the original 1972 Poseidon Adventure. The movie still holds up today in my opinion as I have re-watched it recently. Good acting performances form the cast.

Just watched this.
I'm not a DiCaprio fan, but he was successful in making me forget that it's him... so I liked it.
I was left with a few questions at the end, but it would involve too many spoilers to ask them.
And I'm still not sure how I feel about the CGI bear (although it was a lot better than one I saw in one of those "Wolverine" movies!)

I'll give it a very solid

How come nobody mentionned Touching the Void ?
It's a gritty survival movie based on a true story, featuring interviews and incredible confessions of the actual people involved.

My personal favorite survival movie is one many may not have heard of!

Dante's Peak!

Linda Hamilton and Pierce Brosnan are amazing in this!

Watched Survival Island (2005) last night. This movie certainly doesn't fit the topic as it is not among the BEST survival films.

It's pretty bad, but intriguing enough to keep me watching to the end to see how it turned out.

It's basically a love triangle between 3 survivors on a deserted island - a super hot looking woman, her obnoxious & jealous husband, and a young Cuban hunk who's feelin' hot-hot-hot for the woman.

What bothered me is the reactions are not realistic. In real survival situations you put a lot of things aside. And sex is probably low on the priority list when people are dirty, exhausted, dehydrated, starving, sunburned, bitten by bugs, afraid, and thinking about where the best place to defecate is that's not too far into the jungle, but far enough from their shelter.

Any person with skills is a commodity that's as valuable as fresh water, so you're probably going to bend over backwards to get along with them - and people will, more than likely, work & stay together, knowing that it will improve their odds for survival, make them more safe and increase their ability to obtain food, water, build better shelters, etc.

At different points in this movie the survivors don't seem to "get" these simple ideas and instead seem more interested in constantly heightening the drama and creating a soap opera rather than concentrating on surviving.

The film's one redeeming factor - the body on Kelly Brook in her white bikini - this is pretty much what kept me watching.

“I was cured, all right!”
[quote=Captain Steel;1607816]Watched Survival Island (2005) last night. This movie certainly doesn't fit the topic as it is not among the BEST survival films.

It's really bad!
But Kelly Brook naked makes enjoyable.

2003 Open Water hope it won't happen to anyone.

YES i loooove open water!

Watched Survival Island (2005) last night. This movie certainly doesn't fit the topic as it is not among the BEST survival films.

LMFAO when you know its bad when the acclaim is kelly brook voted sexiest woman alive 2005

The Revenant

rambo first blood
123 hrs