The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Of course, it could just be that Lucky is doing all he can for a Trump win so that people will wake up the morning after the election and buy a Rift so they can escape the world.

A system of cells interlinked
Finished up The Last of Us this morning. A good game overall, but I found the lack of choice at the end to be a bit off-putting. I much rather would have preferred a big final choice ala Life is Strange that put that final bit of closure in the hands of the player. The Last of Us is a well told story, but I felt like much more of an observer and less of a participant.

Now that I have that game under my belt, I have moved on to Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves as I play catch-up on all these PS3 titles I never had a chance to play until now. Lisa and I are already loving the Indiana Jones style story-telling and she just loves looking for shiny bits of treasure, so this is right up her alley.

I think Uncharted 2 was the only Naughty Dog game I truly enjoyed, and Uncharted 4 is the only one I've not played.

I nearly bought Forza Horizon 3 yesterday but widespread reports of poor PC performance made me hold off until it's definitely patched, which I'd imagine it will be considering the game is one of Microsoft's flagship games for its Play Anywhere thang. The other recent Play Anywhere title, ReCore, apparently runs fantastically on PC.

Pity the game itself seems half finished.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Finished up The Last of Us this morning. A good game overall, but I found the lack of choice at the end to be a bit off-putting. I much rather would have preferred a big final choice ala Life is Strange that put that final bit of closure in the hands of the player. The Last of Us is a well told story, but I felt like much more of an observer and less of a participant.

Now that I have that game under my belt, I have moved on to Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves as I play catch-up on all these PS3 titles I never had a chance to play until now. Lisa and I are already loving the Indiana Jones style story-telling and she just loves looking for shiny bits of treasure, so this is right up her alley.

I felt that TLoU was really overrated. It was a good game, but not the greatest PS3 game which many made it out to be. The fun factor was probably the weakest point for me.

Congratulations on getting around to Among Thieves. It is the high-water mark of the series. All of the others pale in terms of story, characters and set pieces.

Taccy: What are your Top 6 PS3 titles you would recommend (not including Last of US or Uncharted 2, obviously)?
GOATs:

Journey
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Yakuza 4 (possibly supplanted by Yakuza 5 if I ever get round to playing it)
Tokyo Jungle

Stuff I can also see on the PSNow homepage (UK version, there may be licensing differences between countries):

Heavy Rain
God of War 3
InFamous

Journey's on the UK PSNow page.

GOATs:

Journey
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Yakuza 4 (possibly supplanted by Yakuza 5 if I ever get round to playing it)
Tokyo Jungle

Stuff I can also see on the PSNow homepage (UK version, there may be licensing differences between countries):

Heavy Rain
God of War 3
InFamous

Journey's on the UK PSNow page.
Thanks for the reply.

As a rabid Souls fan, the first title I tried to search up was Demon's Souls. Sadly, it is not available on PS Now at this time. I will check out the others you listed!

Yeah, the service will be a heck of a lot better when they add more titles.

What's the betting that Playstation 5/Xbox Two will just be an app - Streaming games to your phone or actually playing them on a PC?

Xbox is half way there already and Sony are releasing a wireless PC dongle for the Dualshock 4, which can run natively already (wired) when using the PS4 streaming thing on PC.

EDIT - You're using PSNow through an app on your Blu Ray player, aren't you? What's the situation with controllers?

I've got PSNow on my TV but it's a Sony Bravia and accepts Dualshock 4s officially.

I play on both my PC and my BluRay player (which is a Sony, btw) depending on whether or not the TV is in use or not. I just plug the Dualshock 4 into the front of the BluRay with a regular USB cable when out on the TV.

Tokyo Jungle?! Surprised to hear that. I bought it for my sister based on the cute dogs f*****g up stuff angle, but she never played it. I never thought it would have ranked that high.

Tokyo Jungle?! Surprised to hear that. I bought it for my sister based on the cute dogs f*****g up stuff angle, but she never played it. I never thought it would have ranked that high.
Tokyo Jungle is insane. It's one of the few games with a survival mechanic I can get behind, plus fighting, stealth and Darwin.

It's a seriously good little game.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm sorry, but it's time for my 'Battlefront is only an above-average-shooter, but I like it' repost...

The last update was ultimately trash. The latest is a muddled mess, which hits all the right notes, but in a completely perplexing order. But I'm enjoying going back to the strangely addictive Jabba's palace update with the new toys and heroes, and to the original launch modes too. I'm enjoying the occasional epic raid on the Death Star, as much as the asymmetry is a bit out of whack. (It's not uncommon to never even get past the first space raid). I'm enjoying chucking grenades through the closing blast doors if I eventually get there, and I'm still loving just how fricking badass it is to march down corridors as Darth and bring the pain (and occasionally lumber away like a pantomime dame).

In short, when it's good, it's very very good. And, Sky City update aside, it all still looks fricking sweet

Forza Horizon 3 is kinda epic. This might well be the best driving (EDIT - I meant best game in the Forza franchise) game I've played since Forza 2 a decade ago.

PC performance is a lot better than I expected. It needs a patch, for sure, but it's perfectly playable.

Last game I played in such long sessions was probably Witcher 3, so yeah, I think Forza Horizon 3 is pretty darned good.

I'm revising my opinion from 'Best Forza since Motorsport 2' to 'Best driving game since Burnout Paradise', and that's heady praise.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gorram W10 just force restarted on me, slap bang in the middle of a super-tense BF round, and now my gaming window has become an hour+ spinning wheel of nada. I wouldn't mind so much but it'd popped up with a 'now or later' option, and I expected 'later' to be, like, more than some arbitary 10 minutes later...

On the plus side, now watching Moon

Deus Ex and videogames thread bumping
Plodding along, trying to play at least a hour a day. I often find myself save scumming to avoid alarms, to get more points, to get praxis kits that I don't use. I think I have 6 so far. There aren't many of the upgrades (besides hacking) that are game stoppers. The items and whatnots are really trivial at times, there isn't much you need besides squat and cover.
WARNING: spoilers below
I just saw Rucker die at the hands of a ghost in the machine. When his monologue started, I could see that he was gonna die before I could bring him in. I'm surprised that I haven't had a boss encounter yet, but it is inevitable that we will dance with the giant from Golem. Insert epic stare-down after escaping with Chikane.

I've spent the evening playing one of those trendy pixel-graphic'd indie shooters ... oh, hang on. I've spent the evening playing Moon Cresta, which is 36 years old.

One of my earliest home gaming memories was playing Astro Wars (a very early one-game 'console'). In fact, it was probably that innocent present which made me pester my mum to get me a ZX81 for Christmas....

I was so good at Astro Wars that I could beat it multiple times in a row without losing a life. Oh to have such reflexes nowadays.

Anyway, it turned out that Astro Wars was, in fact, a pretty blatant copy of Moon Cresta, a game which had debuted in arcades a year earlier. I never played much of it, preferring Space Invaders, Pac Man, Asteroids and Defender - The Hall of Fame, in other words - but the game's now on PS4 as part of the Arcade Archives series.

It's still really playable. Maybe not quite in the Galaga class (although Galaga is 6 years younger, a generation newer, basically) but anyone who's played a shoot-em-up will feel right at home.

The similarities between the two games are kinda shocking:

Oh, for the internet in 1981. Imagine the tizzy that New Wave Reddit would be getting itself into.

The older I get the more I'm collecting older games for posterity, even downloads like this. The problem here is that pre-PS1 (basically, the first console I owned when I had a full time job) I sold my old hardware and games in order to put the money towards a new machine. The ZX81 is somewhere in the loft, I think, because once the Spectrum/C64 came along you couldn't give them away.

Good examples are going for £100+ now.