The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I voted for Tokyo Story. It was my number 7. And if I had to be objective in how good a film is (and not just by favorite) Tokyo Story is easily one of the top 10 films I have ever seen.

My List: 11
Seen: 34/80

1. Easy top ten, top 5 more then likely. Possible Top 3. Number 1 maybe?
2. Ben-Hur (1959)
3. I would hope Top 10
4. Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
5. Rififi (1955)
6. If this does not make the Top 10 I will quit the internet
7. Tokyo Story (1953)
8. The Ten Commandments (1956)
9. I doubt it will show up.
10. The Killing (1956)
11. Sansho the Baliff (1954)
12. This will make it.
13. Throne of Blood (1957)
14. Hidden Fortress (1958)
15. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
16. I doubt this will show. If it was, it would have shown up by now,
17. See above
18. Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
19. This will show. It is by one of the two directors who will dominate this list.
20. This will make it. WAY too many people love this movie for it not to show.
21. This damn well better make it!
22. No show
23. Not gonna show
24. Sadly not going to show
25. No 1 pointer for me. This will make it. I know it will.

Where have all you people been who have not seen Rio Bravo. Its on AMC once a year when they do John Wayne Weekend. I will however confess that Eldorado which is much like Rio Bravo I do prefer too watch. Its a bit more action packed then Rio Bravo. But Walter Brennan, Dean Martin and Angie made Bravo far better in later viewings.

These are the predictions from my 'magic nine ball' that I picked up on a street corner for just a mere fifty notes (am starting to think I might have been conned and it might not actually be a genuine magical predictor though - perhaps they didn't like that I paid for it via the special flute that my mate Wolfgang Amadeus kindly gave me?) .....

20. The Searchers
19. Rashomon

Rio Bravo was my number one film, if you all haven't worked that out already. I've wrote bits and bobs about it around the forum but nothing too substantial. I think the themes and how it fits in to the body of work of Hawks are pretty straightforward and evident once you've seen it a couple of times, or watched a few Hawks films, but it just really is one of those films that is just so great for me in that its just such a fun experience. I mentioned just above that it seems to be on TV quite often over here actually, even though I own it now, I always record it when I can and give it a watch.

The perfect film about masculine companionship, I love John Wayne as an actor, and Dean Martin both in and out of films has to be one of the coolest men to have ever lived, add a perfectly cast, equally cool Ricky Nelson in to the mix, a sprinkle of humour with Walter Brennan and a nice romantic angle with Angie Dickinson and you have a dream cast. I could watch these people hang around the prison for hours upon hours, the two and a half of the film really do fly by.

Here's probably the most I've wrote about it, and about my overall love the Howard Hawks' films:

Rio Bravo and my love for Howard Hawks

I went out last night as it was a bank holiday weekend. Spent too much and drank too much, so today I've been mainly recovering, and I noticed that TCM had Rio Bravo on, so of course I watched it. I think it's probably my fourth full viewing, but I've seen it in parts even more.

I actually bought a framed poster type of thing for the film recently. It's a film I consider to be one of my very favourites. I think I first watched it probably because of Tarantino's praise for it, when I was getting into films his opinion meant a lot and I tried to check out whatever he recommended. I thought it was great back then, and I think it was in the top 30 of my first ever top 100, but back then I had knew nothing of the great director Howard Hawks, really.

Earlier this year I watched a lot of films from Hawks, and I now consider him to be one of my favourite directors. I also love that a lot of other members here seem to be watching more of his films over the past year, and I hope that when it comes around that Rio Bravo will do really well in the Fifties countdown.

Watching it today only further strengthens my thoughts towards it, a masterpiece of cinema. I love the laid back feel of the whole thing, through watching more of his works I've discovered how Hawks loves to create pictures about companionship and masculinity, there's always a leisurely feel about his films with nothing flashy about his direction, mainly medium shots and cuts only when they're needed. Despite the humour there's always a darkness luring and the characters come to prove themselves through their actions, often through violence.

A few weeks ago I watched The Big Sky late night on TV when I was staying with my grandparents. Another great Hawks film that once again focuses on masculinity through violence. I think the most unusual thing about it is how it uses its landscape to emphasis the darkness looming over the characters. I also think the black and white photography of Only Angels Have Wings goes quite a long way in creating a mysterious mythical atmosphere that seems to consume the characters.

Here's how I would rank Howard Hawks' films, approximately:

1. Rio Bravo
  2. Only Angels Have Wings
  3. Ceiling Zero
  4. El Dorado
  5. His Girl Friday
  6. Hatari!
  7. The Big Sky
  8. The Big Sleep
  9. Scarface
  10. Red River
  11. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  12. Bringing Up Baby
  13. Rio Lobo

Although the rankings don't mean much, as I think they're pretty much great, except for Rio Lobo. I watched that film the other week too, on TCM, and whilst I still enjoyed it, it felt like a pale imitation of Rio Bravo. El Dorado surprised me with just how great it was, Mitchum and Caan were brilliant, and in terms of laughs I found it to be a really funny screenplay, Rio Lobo's supporting cast was all weak and there was nothing memorable about it, I thought the beginning and end scenes were the best parts.

Also, I just remembered that my brother recently bought Rio Bravo on Blu-ray (part of a Westerns collection), he loves the film too, although he hasn't seen many other Howard Hawks films. You'll notice I ranked Ceiling Zero really high on the list, I actually bought that on DVD earlier on this year when I was on my Hawks spree. I noticed it was hard to get and the copy I have is a French DVD with the title "Brumes" actually, but it's a perfectly fine copy. Not many people seem to have seen it but I think it's one of his best, it feels more intimate and personal. Like Only Angels Have Wings it focusses on flying, masculinity through these high risk jobs, friendship, honour etc., in both films the endings are extremely sad and moving, throughout there is an impending feeling of doom that comes with the joy of these men enjoying themselves.

What has everyone else seen from Howard Hawks? What are your favourite films of his? Is Rio Bravo a favourite of yours and do you see it doing well on the Fifties list?
I later watched Monkey Business which I also thought was a great little comedy, and I included it near the bottom of my list (sorry for the spoiler, but I might as well mention it now as its relevant) but I knew that wouldn't make it.

If bluedeed had sent a list I'd guess he'd have it in at least his top ten, which could have perhaps boosted it a bit. It's also, as I mention above, one of my brother's favourites films. Overall I think 22nd is a good ranking for it, had this list been done a few years ago it probably would have been in the bottom half, I would guess.

The framed poster that I mentioned I bought in the quoted post, I managed to sneak in to my own short film I'm releasing soon (bit of a plug, but most have you have seen anyway ) as a way of showing my admiration for the film. Here's a screenshot, with it, and it's my brother in the photo

...it's not that well known outside of those who know it.
wise words

I didn't...it's not that well known outside of those who know it.
Interesting. But what does that have to do with him predicting Rio Bravo the day before it actually showed up?

Interesting. But what does that have to do with him predicting Rio Bravo the day before it actually showed up?
The way he said it i just took it as some sort of joke i wasn't getting and left it haha.

I think Pickpocket has missed the list by now.
It.
Woz.
Robbed!