Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Revenant (2015)
+

Well well well, who would've thunk it? Turns out, that if you disable DiCaprio's voice in a film, criple him so he can't show off his more feminine running style, limit his lines, place him in a rugged, manly, and carnivorous setting (for a change), throw in a bit of tongue action with a Pawnee (dude), and what do you know, he wins his first, well deserved Oscar. Bravo!

Hardy was good in all his scenes.

The film was long, so they had plenty of time to borrow ideas and visuals from other movies (First Blood, Rambo III, Gladiator and The Empire Strikes Back are the ones that come to mind), but nothing too distracting.
That bear scene.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Did Hardy's character remind anyone else of Berenger's character from Platoon?
For me, it was more like Berenger's character in Hatfields & McCoys, but, nonetheless, Berenger's character.

A Scanner Darkly -
+

Difficult one to rate. I really loved some things about it but i was a bit up and down at times, and i admit i had no idea where it was going at certain points. Such a weird film. Honestly got no clue how i feel about it visually. Some of the hallucinations were extremely well done, while the more normal scenes were a bit more annoying. It was unique, that's about as much as i can say about it. Was so nuts when peoples faces would keep switching into different people.

I liked the interactions between the characters most. Robert Downey Jr was probably my favourite, to my surprise though i also liked Keanu. I think he was unnatural as always in certain scenes but it kinda worked for this which may not have been intentional. Mostly because of how weird his character and the various situations he ended up in were.
It was funny at times too. The scene were they start panicking and planning to sell their house because they thought someone broke in when it was just Donna was great . As well as the dialogue and interactions, that's what i think was done best the portrayal of paranoia. Also loved the ending it was just so cruel what Keanus character was subjected to.

Interesting film that i'd like to revisit at a later time.

I have to return some videotapes...
A Scanner Darkly (2006) -
+

Camo I read your review and it peaked my interest, so I gave it a shot, it had already been on my watchlist. Really intriguing film, I was surprised how much I liked the acting for Keanu, he was perfect for the role. His relationship with Winona seemed a little under-developed, especially with how the ending goes down. I thought the interactions between the main crew was intriguing as well and the comedy was okay at times too. This films problem is I don't think I needed it to be animated and I feel like it delves into pockets that are strange and aren't necessarily needed. Probably will need another viewing to really find a concrete rating.

Camo I read your review and it peaked my interest,

His relationship with Winona seemed a little under-developed, especially with how the ending goes down.
Suppose it was but i wasn't that bothered by it because the relationship wasn't of that much interest to me until the ending. I think it will be something that will bother me more on a rewatch.

This films problem is I don't think I needed it to be animated
That as definitely true, it didn't need to be animated. Richard Linklater seems to be a very experimental filmmaker though so i can see why he wanted to try this (i know he did it with Waking Life too but i haven't seen that yet), especially with the hallucinations and just general weirdness of the story giving a chance for some potentiallly interesting visuals. It just comes down to whether you personally liked it or not. As i said it was mixed for me, i loved some of the weirder scenes but i found it a bit intrusive in the normal ones.

Probably will need another viewing to really find a concrete rating.
Same. I think it had some problems but it was very interesting and i've been thinking about it more since it finished. Glad you tried it. Think i'm going to try his other animated film Waking Life soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Don't Breathe

(Fede Alvarez)

Much like the Netflix film Hush, Don't Breathe hooks viewers in with an interesting concept dealing with sense deprivation. 3 teenagers break into an old man's home to steal what they think he has, hundreds of thousands of dollars. They think it will be an easy score because the man is also blind, but what they don't know is that he has some skeletons in his closet.

From Fede Alvarez, who directed the Evil Dead remake, Don't Breathe is a thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat with anticipation. Unique elements keep the film afloat and will have you changing from scene to scene who you are rooting for. Alvarez, right from the start, shows us how these kids are unlikable. Breaking into a home, stealing the right amount of things so it's not grand larceny, pissing all over the floor for the hell of it. These three are not really likable. Then we see a softer side of, well, at least two of them. Rocky is living at a trailer home with her drunk and irresponsible mother. She is the only one looking after her little sister. Alex is in love with her and will do whatever he can to make sure she gets out of that hell hole. The third guy is Money...yes, that is his name. He has next to no redeeming qualities about him.

Stephen Land, from Avatar, plays the Blind Man. He has the right amount of menace for someone lacking sight. He's set up his home to be beneficial to him, leaving the kids at the disadvantage. Numerous times I did not know where the film was going to go and that added to the enjoyment of it. One particular out of nowhere sequence comes about halfway through. I won't spoil what it is, just know that it is random, weird and out of left field. It spoiled the film for my friend, but added to the absurdity of the premise to me.

Competent direction and good acting help keep the viewers attention. A good concept can only go so far, you need good execution, which this film has. Recommended to those who are looking for a good thriller with very little, if any gore. The film is more concerned with tension than blood. Which is a nice surprise these days.

Suspect's Reviews

Heat (1995) -

Amazing Al Pacino vs. Robert De Niro. Maybe too long.

The Ones Below (2015)

Rosemary's Baby (1968) isn't my favorite Polanski. Hell, it's not even my favorite of the so-called Apartment Trilogy. Maybe that's why I found myself so open to David Farr re-imagining the story nearly half a century later. Do I feel like I placed my trust in the wrong hands? Not particularly.

Justin and Kate are the romanticized university sweethearts. He's a promising campaign manager who can afford a new flat for his expecting a wife, herself maintaining a career in fashion at some compacity. Our understanding of their relationship deepens with Kate venting about her withholding mother, Justin expressing concern over her mental health especially considering her family history, the revelation that conceiving a child was a topic they debated long before the act. For an 80 minute picture, we really get a three dimensional picture of their dynamic without ever feeling like a clump of backstory is being stuffed down our throats.

An offer of herbal tea is as close as the neighbors come to the eccentric Mr. and Mrs. Casevete. Instead of occult conspiracy, their veneer conceals the tacit agreement that they love each other as a means to bear a child as opposed to any more intimate connection. For Jon, it's an extension of business that already pushed him to leave a previous spouse found to be infertile. For Theresa, it's a high pressure responsibility, especially in Jon's presence. Even after piecing together what we can, the brunt of their identity is still hidden away from the viewer. We never get to see how they interact when they're alone. It's a very effective decision that the film thankfully never doubles back on.

Though explicitly inspired by a younger Polanski, The Ones Below also reminds me of his 2011 effort, Carnage which followed two groups of parents stuck together in an apartment for an uncomfortable afternoon. The couples really grate against each other even before a tragic event sets them at odds. Theresa and Jon's dinnertime charade is a cringe inducing affair. The courtesy Justin extends to Jon is met with icy reception. When everything boils over, they're at each other's throats abandoning any guise of civility. Theresa demands they both see the child she blames them for losing, its premature corpse too meager to leave behind ashes. The rest of the film is unnerving in a different way, though rooted in this devastating exchange that occurs early on.

The Ones Below is an exercise in tension, riding that familiar line between paranoia and conspiracy. It's a more grounded experience, resolving itself in the vein of a procedural as opposed to a fever dream. It never travels too far outside the realm of possibility to torture its audience, relying on awkward conversations and a frenzied depiction of anxiety. For everything it does right, it still feels like a very minor story perhaps too constrained by its runtime and likely its budget. Perhaps the most disappointing shortcoming lies in it spoiling any interpretation by cheaply explaining the ending in the most blunt manner possible. For a film that thrives on withholding certainty from the audience, it really shoots itself in the foot for some misguided sense of resolution.

/sleep deprivation fueled word vomit

http://boxd.it/bfPRz

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Don't Breathe

(Fede Alvarez)

Much like the Netflix film Hush, Don't Breathe hooks viewers in with an interesting concept dealing with sense deprivation. 3 teenagers break into an old man's home to steal what they think he has, hundreds of thousands of dollars. They think it will be an easy score because the man is also blind, but what they don't know is that he has some skeletons in his closet.

From Fede Alvarez, who directed the Evil Dead remake, Don't Breathe is a thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat with anticipation. Unique elements keep the film afloat and will have you changing from scene to scene who you are rooting for. Alvarez, right from the start, shows us how these kids are unlikable. Breaking into a home, stealing the right amount of things so it's not grand larceny, pissing all over the floor for the hell of it. These three are not really likable. Then we see a softer side of, well, at least two of them. Rocky is living at a trailer home with her drunk and irresponsible mother. She is the only one looking after her little sister. Alex is in love with her and will do whatever he can to make sure she gets out of that hell hole. The third guy is Money...yes, that is his name. He has next to no redeeming qualities about him.

Stephen Land, from Avatar, plays the Blind Man. He has the right amount of menace for someone lacking sight. He's set up his home to be beneficial to him, leaving the kids at the disadvantage. Numerous times I did not know where the film was going to go and that added to the enjoyment of it. One particular out of nowhere sequence comes about halfway through. I won't spoil what it is, just know that it is random, weird and out of left field. It spoiled the film for my friend, but added to the absurdity of the premise to me.

Competent direction and good acting help keep the viewers attention. A good concept can only go so far, you need good execution, which this film has. Recommended to those who are looking for a good thriller with very little, if any gore. The film is more concerned with tension than blood. Which is a nice surprise these days.
Just came home from seeing this in the cinema, which marks the first time I ever watched a horror movie on the silver screen. I thought Lang stole the show, he was a great mix of strength, silence and fury. I also liked the section in the basement where the kids are trying to get out...and then Lang kills the light. For a few seconds the screen's black, we only hear fast breathing, then the screen shifts into a greyish spectrum, we understand it's still black as pitch for the characters, but we, the audience, can see them. This greyish light had a poor draw width, almost like fog, so a very short distance away the visibility droped to near nothing. It reminded me of Silent Hill 2, how they used the fog to obscure the fact that the surroundings didn't load properly untill you were way to close. Anything that brings up recemblance to that game's allright in my book. Would rate it at

High Rise (2015)

The director, Ben Wheatley, is one whose movies I've enjoyed. Down Terrace was a nice independent crime film, Sightseers an excellent black comedy, and Kill List is a mind blower that's one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years. It seems that with all the promise he's shown, he was given a larger budget and a name cast. High Rise stars a very good Tom Hiddleston and Luke Evans, a smoking hot Sienna Miller, and a mailing it in Jeremy Irons. The movie has a few scenes that look and feel extremely cool, but they would have been a lot greater had the movie been better overall. It's at it's best when there doesn't seem to be much going on except stimulating the viewer visually and with excellent use of music. As the movie gets more chaotic, it also gets less interesting. I definitely think that Wheatley continued to show great promise as a filmmaker, but unfortunately his next film (Free Fire) looks like a dud.

I definitely think that Wheatley continued to show great promise as a filmmaker, but unfortunately his next film (Free Fire) looks like a dud.
It's got a good IMDb rating and some good reviews, and about 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 73/100 on metacritic so far after 6 reviews, will probably get lower with more but seems about his normal level with critics.

It's got a good IMDb rating and some good reviews, and about 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 73/100 on metacritic so far after 6 reviews, will probably get lower with more but seems about his normal level with critics.
I think his new movie coming out has a broader appeal. It's an action movie with a comedic side. I watched the trailer, and while mainstream audiences might like it, I thought it looked lame.

Fair enough. Just watched the trailer, I'm divided, the look of it and cast seems cool, and often with these things they put some of the more obvious/silly humour in trailer (masturbation joke), so hopefully it works better in the actual film. I've only seen A Field in England and Kill List from him so far anyway, both which I thought were okay to good.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
To Camo & Cole: DEFINITELY give Scanner Darkly rewatch. The first time is a bit bumpy to watch trying to figure out what's what but after a rewatch it, for me, becomes a fun lil drug film to enjoy watching

For me:

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) Casablanca (1942)
+++ Favorite scene? See above

(SEVERAL REWATCHES) Oscar Wilde (1960)
Morley is wonderful in this with a great supporting cast.

Forsaken
+++ While it does come off as a "cut and paste" old time TV western it is a very good watch with several favorite actors including the father/son Sutherlands, Brian Cox (HUGE fan of his) and Micheal Wincott.
Admittedly, no one plays out of their range, but again, a good watch, if not an all too familiar watch.