Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Final Sacrifice (1990) - 2.1/10

Starring '80s mullet uncle guy as Zap Rowsdower. This isn't a sci-fi movie, he's just a normal guy, and his name is Zap... Rowsdower... Might be the best worst name I've ever come across.

Also starring a kid who looks like a Ferengi as Troy.

Sits happily along side some of the worst movies I've seen. It (barely) separates itself from the truly dreadful by managing to create a sense of adventure/mystery, and by having some half decent camera work.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Jesus Christ, what the hell happened???

I think I dodged a bullet when I rated Halloween

Just think on the bright side, we already have a favourite for Best Mofo Couple of the Year and the winner of Most Controversial Mofo! Mofies look easier now!

Unforgiven (C. Eastwood, 1992)

A retired and resentful about his past Man with No Name comes back for a last job, how's that for a movie?

I read that Eastwood read the script for this and waited till he was old enough so he could be on it... I can see why! Looking at his past, there's no better person to be William Munny and the movie would lose a great deal if he was not on it.

The whole premise alone makes the film: what I loved the most about this is that noone tells who they really are: The Englishman (what a fascinating character), the Kid and Little Bill constantly overrate themselves, while William Munny only show his trueself in the last scene. That and a overblown request made by a group prostitutes give stage to a really straight forward but great western.

The acting is great, especially by Hackman. Eastwood is equal to himself, with the emotion spectre of a rock but that is no problem when portraying this type of characters. I'm not sure about Freeman, sometimes I liked him, other times I just think he was a miscast.
The writing has some cheesy parts (especially Eastwood's lines) but overall ends up being quite solid.

I think this gets more praise as a statement by Eastwood than as a movie by itself, but it's still one of the best westerns of the "modern age".

+

I'm not stopping till the dude is banned for bad taste.

A new member with that level of douchbaggery? I don't think I've ever seen it on this forum. Ever.
Do you wake up every morning thinking "I'll be an a$$hole today", or were you simply born that way?

I'm not stopping till the dude is banned for bad taste.

A new member with that level of douchbaggery? I don't think I've ever seen it on this forum. Ever.
Do you wake up every morning thinking "I'll be an a$$hole today", or were you simply born that way?
Dude, stop.

You both STOP...

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

I don't remember what rating I gave the previous Trek film that featured Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain, but I know I liked it. But this one is loads better. There is plenty of space adventure and action but like any good Trek movie, it retains its focus on the core characters and their relationships/friendships and manages to incorporate new friends and a badass villain, particularly Krall, played by the super Idris Elba. As this version of our Trek heroes is set in an alternate timeline, it has freed the filmmakers up to not feel they have to copy or repeat previous incarnations of stories, but each new film has dovetailed somewhat with things that happened in the same numbered "Classic Trek" films, i.e. Khan being in Star Trek Into Darkness. This time, something disastrous happens fairly early on in the film that also happened in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. And that is the
WARNING: spoilers below
destruction of the Enterprise
, which is necessary for the rest of the film to play out, which deals with the crew stranded on Krall's planet, all of the stars paired off, with only Scotty (Simon Pegg) teamed up with a new character, Jaylah, delightfully played by Sofia Boutella, who has a super technology that helps our crew out immensely.

Unfortunately, the late Anton Yelchin who plays Chekov, probably gets the least amount of screen time of the crew. During the final credits , there is a dedication for him, and for the late Leonard Nimoy. I loved this installment and have already heard there will a fourth film. I look forward to it.

Calendar Girls (2003)

Delightful, based-on-a-true-story film about a group of middle-aged British women in Yorkshire who belong to a women's institute and are largely bored by the monthly themes of things to learn about. Julie Walters plays Annie and her husband has cancer. While waiting at the hospital with her best friend Chris (Helen Mirren), they are miffed by the bad furniture, particularly one couch, in the waiting room in the cancer ward. Chris's teenage son leaves his skin magazine where Chris finds it, and she also sees a pin-up calendar in a garage, all of which gives her the idea for the local ladies of the women's institute to pose nude for a calendar to raise money for the hospital waiting room furniture in Annie's husband's name. Of course the nudity is very tasteful, with their, ahem, parts covered up with various things like pastry trays and flowers. The whole thing becomes a huge success but is not without problems, some with husbands, some with the women's institute in general, some with the trappings that come along with fame. But this movie is all done with a gentle, loving hand and leaves you with a good feeling.

Sorry, I've just never met such a complete jerk like him before.
Alright, you made your point and MM did his, so back off now and stop responding to each other on this thread.

MM, I love you bro, but this goes to you too. Please don't respond, not even to this post.

Sorry, I've just never met such a complete jerk like him before.
You need to get out more then.

Jesus it's an internet forum, i agree he was a bit harsh but he also didn't just say FU, he made a pretty thoughtful comment after that. I think you should just get over it, MM too tbh, but whatever.

If you express controversial opinions on a public forum, you shouldn't act offended when people start attacking you (even in an impolite manner). It makes you look like a naive noob. This is simply the way people react sometimes on the internet.

Win the discussion by defending your opinions with good arguments. Name-calling doesn't solve anything.

Nice top ten, by the way, RedFoot!

Calendar Girls (2003)

Delightful, based-on-a-true-story film about a group of middle-aged British women in Yorkshire who belong to a women's institute and are largely bored by the monthly themes of things to learn about. Julie Walters plays Annie and her husband has cancer. While waiting at the hospital with her best friend Chris (Helen Mirren), they are miffed by the bad furniture, particularly one couch, in the waiting room in the cancer ward. Chris's teenage son leaves his skin magazine where Chris finds it, and she also sees a pin-up calendar in a garage, all of which gives her the idea for the local ladies of the women's institute to pose nude for a calendar to raise money for the hospital waiting room furniture in Annie's husband's name. Of course the nudity is very tasteful, with their, ahem, parts covered up with various things like pastry trays and flowers. The whole thing becomes a huge success but is not without problems, some with husbands, some with the women's institute in general, some with the trappings that come along with fame. But this movie is all done with a gentle, loving hand and leaves you with a good feeling.

I'm glad you posted that review! I was considering that film but never got around to watching it....so now thanks to your positive review, I just requested it from Netflix. I'll review it in the near future.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm glad you posted that review! I was considering that film but never got around to watching it....so now thanks to your positive review, I just requested it from Netflix. I'll review it in the near future.
I've liked both of your taste of movies, and I do like "ahem" - especially when it's tasteful and beautiful and not just for the sake of titillating (lol).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
MM - neither side looks good anymore, though. It's not like being here any longer justifies the douchebaggery either.

Suspect - damn, dude, Hail, Caesar! gets a lower rating than Sausage Party? I figure it's about what you'd expect from the Coens, though - they're all about these weird shaggy-dog stories even in their best films. At the very least, I think their post-No Country output is fairly solid with no major missteps.

I haven't been too impressed with their recent output. Burn After Reading was mediocre at best, True Grit was kind of okay and I really dislike A Serious Man.

Suspect's Reviews

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016) -

As suspected, this is a very dumb movie with some fairly entertaining action set pieces, if you can enjoy the ridiculousness of it all.

I was not a fan of The Mechanic, so I did not intend on seeing the sequel. However my room mate heard it was so stupid it was fun (which is right up my alley), so we decided to go see it. That assertion was correct...to an extent. Most of the first act is taken up by this boring, unnecessary beach holiday with Jessica Alba that made me regret paying money to see this. But if you're in the mood to laugh at it (like the entirety of our theatre was), you'll at least be entertained by the rest of the movie, as long as you don't think too hard about what you're watching. It's closer to Crank than it is to the first Mechanic, so whether or not that's a good thing will depend on how you feel about Crank.

If nothing else, it's at least accidentally a better Hitman adaptation than Hitman (2007) and Agent 47 (2015).

I've liked both of your taste of movies, and I do like "ahem" - especially when it's tasteful and beautiful and not just for the sake of titillating (lol).
Ha...I doubt there's much 'titillating' going on with a group of old ladies. Unless this is part of the senior movie wave we keep hearing about

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
Raising Arizona as well that seems to get mistreated regularly.
Love that film.