Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Well, for the $144m budget, they've made back a total worldwide box office of $80m.
Only $19m of that comes from outside of the USA.

Which is really, really bad, seeing as the movie was released outside the USA 11 days ago. $19m in 11 days.
So?

They've nearly made back the budget.

Well, considering other big movies make $60m-$80m on their opening weekends, and GB has taken 11-12 days to do that, makes me think that, along with the bad press and word of mouth since it's release, it may not make a profit.
Unless they keep it in cinemas for an extra 3 months longer than planned, but by then people won't be going to see it anyways.
I mean, let's face it, not as many as they wanted are going to see it right now already.

Welcome to the human race...
The prevailing prediction is that Feig's movies don't have massive opening weekends yet actually do solid numbers and turn a profit over the course of their runs anyway, and that was without any interest that the Ghostbusters brand would bring (it's worth noting that Ghostbusters has had a bigger opening weekend than any other Feig movie anyway). The word of mouth hasn't been unanimously positive but it hasn't been unanimously negative either so there's a good chance of it doing the same solid numbers anyway. The real question is what the advertising budget is like.

I think Ghostbusters is going to have trouble at the box office, and its reception among fans and critics has nothing to do with it. For big blockbuster movies, the American box office is nowhere near as important as it used to be. Plenty of movies have come out recently that have bombed in North America but have made back their budget and become a financial success due primarily to one country: China.

However China is refusing to show Ghostbusters (for reasons that have nothing to do with why the reboot is a controversial issue around here), and I think that decision is going to result in the movie barely breaking even (if it even does). With Star Trek starting this weekend and Bourne starting the next, I just don't see Ghostbusters raking in the large numbers it needs to be financially viable.

An anti-feminist assessment:

Originally Posted by Shoe0nHead
paul feig is a lolcow. ghostbusters was cute. but is it worth giving money to someone who hates you (and himself)? here’s my opinion of the movie and controversy surrounding it. OH AND MEN AREN'T FUNNY APPARENTLY.

However China is refusing to show Ghostbusters
*sigh* Again?

Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
China's official censorship guidelines technically prohibit movies that "promote cults or superstition"
Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest suffered such a fate

I saw this film and found absoultly everything about it besides the acting terrible. The plot progression was so predictable and poorly done. Each character felt like a cliche and it moved like a semi trying to fit through a drive through. I did however truly enjoy the acting from the cast. I was impressed with how they brought life to a crappy role

Almost 3 weeks into its cinematic run, and they've still not made a profit.
Budget was $144m, and after 20 days, they've made a grand total of.... $130m.

The largest market outside of the US, is the UK... and in 20 days it's made only $9.5m... in terms of £s, that's just over £7m.

$144 million dollars was spent so a bunch of fat, ugly women could run around and zap CGI ghosts with toy guns?

Well, take into account the cost of marketing and licensing during the cinematic run... I reckon that $144m is closer to $200m.

That means the movie is looking at anywhere up to $70m in losses. Maybe even $80m.

Hehehehheheheheeeeeeee!

Oof, that's rough. Even Pixels didn't make back its $88m budget and that was a borderline Ghostbusters reboot (though I imagine that was more to do with people generally being shot of Sandler in particular). It sucks that it's effectively going to be written off as a flop because of the numbers - flawed though it is, it deserves better.

It sucks that it's effectively going to be written off as a flop because of the numbers -

No it doesn't.

- flawed though it is, it deserves better.

No it doesn't.

At least I watched it, Mr. I-Constantly-Point-Out-How-The-Thing-Is-Technically-Not-A-Remake-Whenever-People-Try-To-Challenge-My-Unflinching-Dismissal-Of-All-Remakes.

Yes moi is another who spent money on it! I spent extra for a premier seat in the cinema, bought the score music CD, will buy the blu-ray when released(hopefully a steelbook like the original films) and I want a Ghostbusters t-shirt with Kate Mckinnon on it only. Does that make you feel sick Rodent?

Take my money Ghostbusters, take my money.