The Netflix Experiment

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Week 6 - December 13th, 2013

A Good Day To Die Hard (Canadian)

I never thought a Die Hard film could be boring...

The thing that made the original Die Hard exciting was that he was a regular die caught in an irregular situation. He wasn't a Stallone or a Schwarzenner, he was a nobody. This is 4 sequels later and John McClane is the Terminator. He can be blown up, flipped over in not one, but two car crashes, thrown from a helicopter through a glass window building, shot at, jump off a building, fall through more glass windows and God knows what else...and be perfectly fine.

A Good Day to Die Hard feels like a script someone found in a pile at a studio and through the Die Hard title on it. I really liked Live Free Or Die Hard, John McClane (the MOFO member) didn't. He felt that the film did not feel like a Die Hard picture. I get that feeling with this entry. This is no longer Die Hard, this is random action film starring Bruce Willis.

The change of environment doesn't really do the film any favours. The addition of his son this time instead of his daughter is even worse. Now we have father-son hate bantering going on. Also, how many times does Willis have to remind us he is on vacation? Once, twice, three times maybe? It felt like once every 15 minutes. A car chase sequence that is excessive to the point of boredom. Plot twists you can see coming a mile away and a flat out boring, uninteresting and overall stupid villain add up to make this, not only the worst Die Hard entry, but one of the worst films of the year.

Skip this garbage and hope to God that they go back to basics in the next entry.

Suspect's Reviews

Must've been one short DVD shelf.
So...as I posted in the picture thread, the wife and I recently put up some new shelfs in our new home, then put our dvds in it.

She came up with the ambitious idea of watching EVERY SINGLE one of them, from first - to last.

Not once a day, but whenever we decide to have a movie night, we would go from #'s, to the A's, then the B's....till we hit...what is it, Zoolander?

Plus I'm lazy.

That Awkward Moment

You know that awkward moment when you're watching a film and you really hate it, but you just don't turn it off because you have nothing else to do? Or the fact that you said you would randomly watch a netflix film, that's my situation with this one. An unfunny take on a stupid premise. 3 friends decide to stay single. No matter how good a relationship may be, they will do what they can to stay single. Hilarity is suppose to ensue, but it does not.

The formulaic comedy does the cast no favours. Zac Efron is the player" of the group, avoiding long relationships anytime a woman asks the 'so' question. "So where is this going?" "So what are we doing?", that's when he drops them from her sex index. Of course he runs into a beautiful and funny girl who challenges his whole system and his friends notice how in "love" he is, but when things get a little too serious, he runs away. Can he fulfill the romantic comedy troupes and win her back with inane romantic poetry that somehow always works on the women in these stories?

Let's take Miles Teller next, the goofy friend who is in a 'hush-hush' relationship with a common friend. He can't tell his friends so he lies to her in order to keep up with the plan. Do you think she's going to find out? Do you think if she does find out that she gets angry at him and HE has to win her over too? Do you think she falls for whatever poetry that he has to say in order to get back into her pants?

Lastly we have Michael B. Jordan, the cool friend who has been married forever and doesn't know how to get back into the game after he finds out his wife has been cheating on him. He tries desperately to win her back. Will he win her over? Or will he start a new life with a beautiful woman he met at the bar?

Nothing about the film surprises you, nothing about the film makes you laugh. It hits every weak and cliched beat it needs to and this wouldn't be so terrible if it didn't try to subvert the very same genre it falls into. That Awkward Moment is a misfire.

Tammy

Does anyone else think that Melissa McCarthy has run her course with these crude comedy roles where we constantly laugh at how fat she is, how ugly she is and how crass she is? Truth be told she's a very likeable person, but she relies on the same routine over and over again and this time the well has run dry.

Her husband is leaving her for another woman, her boss has just fired her and now Tammy wants to just drive away from it all. Grandma demands to come along, it's her car after all. The two squabble with each other, get drunk and throw obscenities each others way. When Grandma gets herself in jail, Tammy goes rogue and robs a fast food joint to help get her out. That's the best summary for tis poor excuse for a road movie. McCarthy can be great in comedies, she stole the show in Bridesmaids and ever since then Hollywood has been pushing her down our throats. Spy was a surprise hit and compared to this drivel, is comedy gold.

Sarandon plays the alcoholic grandmother and is probably the best thing about the film. She has decent chemistry with McCarthy and the role feels natural to her. It does seem a little odd that she is a grandmother in this film because Allison Janney plays her daughter. a 13 year age gap makes these roles a tad unbelievable. Nevertheless, Sarandon shines in this film, despite the poor script and even poorer jokes.

Tammy is a skip. Avoid it like the plague. Jokes misfire, constantly. The thrown together story is tedious and everyone involved seems a little bit embarrassed. Or at least, I felt embarrassed for them.

My mom watches the indian movies . i watch the foriegn movies, Though my mom did love beverly hills chihuahua 3. we're a honduran family

Before We Go

Chris Evans gives us his directorial debut in a small film about two people who spend one night together in NYC. Nick, played by Evans himself, is a musician and plays his trumpet at Grand Central Station when the beautiful, but clearly distraught Brook, played by Alice Eve, comes running through to catch the last train. She misses it. She also accidentally broke her phone. When he decides to chat her up he finds out her purse was stolen earlier and she must, absolutely must, get home tonight. Throughout the night these two discover secrets about each other, fears, goals and everything else that would make someone potentially fall in love, but do they?

I'll admit something here that might get my movie viewing card revoked. I've never seen any of the "Before Trilogy" films and even I know that this film borrows heavily from them. I don't know if I would have enjoyed this more or less, but for the most part, this film is genuine.

Most of the film works based on the charms of the two leads. Evans has always had that charm to him and he puts it to full effect here. The relationship between the two only has hints of romance. Evans, smartly, side steps the obvious romantic choices for something more real. I appreciated that. His directorial effort is nothing to shake a stick at. The script doesn't call for anything fancy, so it comes off as too easy a choice for him to start with. Shoot two good-looking people roaming around NYC, not too hard.

The script tries to find ways to make it impossible for these two to separate. Broken phones, no money, broken noses. The shortcomings here are few, but noticeable. I feel that fans of the Before films will either despise this film for being too familiar, or appreciate it as a "little-brother" of sorts.

The Fundamentals of Caring

Have you ever watched a film that was full of sappy cliches and knew was emotionally manipulative? Yet you seemed to not care and was invested and entertained by the end result? That's my feelings towards this Paul Rudd film, which tries extremely hard in a lot of areas that I wish it would just relax.

Ben, played with emotional disconnect from Rudd, is a retired writer who seems to be running from his devastating past, decides to become a caregiver. He is given a problem child of sorts, 18 year old Trevor, who suffers from muscular dystrophy. Trevor needs assistance for almost everything, he can't even wipe himself after using the washroom. This part of the film is devastatingly sad and shows the painstakingly difficult task some people have to go through on a daily basis. If this film left me with one thing, it's that a job as a caregiving is something that I don't think I would be able to handle.

Trevor is all talk and no bite. He likes to swear, push people's buttons and prank others. He can't do much else and takes joy in seeing others be uncomfortable. Ben rolls with it and they seem to hit it off. When Ben discovers that Trevor wants to see the deepest pit on earth, the two hit the road. This is when this film becomes a cliched on the road flick. Beautiful strangers, car troubles and bad food all fall in line here. All that is forgiven because the chemistry between Rudd and Craig Roberts, who plays Trevor, is the backbone of this film. They work extremely well off each other

Selena Gomez turns in a surprisingly decent performance as a hitchhiker whom Trevor takes an immediate liking to. Her story feels a bit underwritten and near the end, the film simply just drops her character. The film's faults are pretty evident and while I was watching the film it was obvious they were trying to check off every "indie" film vibe they could think of.

Fundamentals is a lightweight comedy with depressing subject matter. It does a decent job of making you laugh, mostly due to the performances and by the end, you'll have a smile on your face.