The Videogames Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Really dig the art and animation style.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Apologies, another BattleBomb... with the usual caveats:

• The pricepoint to get the best out of this game is ludicrous
  • There are more innovative team shooters on the market, and infantry/vehicle hybrids that are far more feature replete

Now the partner system feels like a solid co-op mechanism, and an offline variant of Walker Assault mode is definitely in the works, it's looking like a better sale buy down the line.

It's all about the DLC for the full experience though, and they've finally got the Cloud City map rotations working right. Lots of very fitting interiors and cityscapes for a SW nut to charge around. The new mode plays out better in the infantry maps too, if with an added dollop of chaos.

The support tools are a mixed bag, but have helped the teamplay all told.

That and I've remembered there's a secondary lock-on in the Fighter mode. Turns out I was trying to survive while using the force . Actually made me better at it, and the maps with aerial objects to swoop around are a step up on the previous.

The flight-alone stuff desperately needs some new modes, but could see them pulling off something half decent with the Death Star DLC now...

On the topic of Ethan Carter has anyone played a similar game called Firewatch? The ending was somewhat lackluster, it was not necessarily bad but there were several other options that would've left more of an impact. It was fun while it lasted, though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
On the topic of Ethan Carter has anyone played a similar game called Firewatch? The ending was somewhat lackluster, it was not necessarily bad but there were several other options that would've left more of an impact. It was fun while it lasted, though.
Loved Firewatch, and didn't have the problem with the ending a lot of people did either.

WARNING: "Firewatch" spoilers below
I saw the story as primarily the relationship between the two main characters, with the goings on around them somewhat secondary. That the truth around the mystery was revealed as something relatively mundane kinda fitted.

Loved Firewatch, and didn't have the problem with the ending a lot of people did either.

WARNING: "Firewatch" spoilers below
I saw the story as primarily the relationship between the two main characters, with the goings on around them somewhat secondary. That the truth around the mystery was revealed as something relatively mundane kinda fitted.
That's why I can't say the ending was bad, it was just a bit lackluster.

WARNING: "More Firewatch" spoilers below
I liked the relationship between Henry and Delilah. Don't misunderstand, I can see where the ending had a refreshing approach. But I think I can safely say we all expected something big and sinister. The fact they made it something, as you say, mundane was unexpected so they do get kudos for that. It's just that reading so many different theories and possible scenarios (some are really great) it makes me wish they would've at least added some alternate endings. Yeah, I know, the premise wouldn't be the same. Still...

Stuff like this make-a-me wanna cringe. Kaz is now saying what a nightmare GT5 and 6 were to make on the 3. But don't worry, GT Sport gonna be awesome.

A prime example of stuff you can say when you are a made man.

read more

And yeah. I'm going to get one of the FF VII Monopoly sets to throw in the closet with all the other stuff I never do anything with.

kotaku very much

The PS3 was really difficult to code for, to be fair, and that's reflected in the number of multi-platform games which were just better on the 360. It was more powerful than the Xbox but that power was difficult to harness. Dunno if I've already linked to this but here's one of the Naughty Dog top men talking (at length) about making the Uncharted PS3 games.

That Gran Turismo 5 took 27 years to come out on PS3, however, is a little bit much.

I get that. This whole junket that has popped up just seems like it is in really poor taste.

"We got a new game coming, yeah the last one was undercooked, but this one one is gonna be great, don't worry."

GT is why I wave the Sony flag and buy their systems. Just don't give me this line, when your soundboard still consists of "insert vacuum joke" sounds.

Be arrogant. Own your shiz and on to the next one. It just makes me concerned that Sport is gonna be undercooked as well, when they are championing a FIA partnership more than making the definitive sim racer of this gen.

Let the night air cool you off
PlayStation Store has a deal on the Telltale Games collection (Walking Dead Season 1&2, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderland, and Game of Thrones) for $22. It says it's 80% off. These games have been pretty well received by critics, but what do you mofos say? I am much more interested in the opinions of the people that I actually know, or at least sort of actually know.

PlayStation Store has a deal on the Telltale Games collection (Walking Dead Season 1&2, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderland, and Game of Thrones) for $22. It says it's 80% off. These games have been pretty well received by critics, but what do you mofos say? I am much more interested in the opinions of the people that I actually know, or at least sort of actually know.
They're mostly hits with me. I especially loved The Wolf Among Us (it got me into the Fables comics too) and Tales from the Borderlands. They're basically interactive films (gameplay doesn't extend far beyond walking and quick time events) with little to no replay value.

I've gotten really emotionally invested in them though. $22 is definitely worth it if you know what type of game you're getting.

I've only played season 1 of The Walking Dead, with the first episode of Wolf Among Us thrown in.

As much as I think the Telltale formula needs freshening up (and as much as I eventually figured out that the games weren't for me), 80% off is a great deal. Just don't expect much innovation from title to title.

That said, I know more than one person who put Tales From The Borderlands on their GOTY list last year, despite not even being Borderlands fans.

My picks from the latest PSN sale -

The Resident Evil 1 remake
Guilty Gear Xrd Sign
Strider
Wild Arms 3 & Rogue Galaxy - Both PS2 games, but I bought WA3 yesterday to see how the PS4 handled them and the answer is very well indeed - Will probably get Rogue Galaxy before the sale ends, it's a great late PS2 RPG
Arcade Game Series 3-in-1 - Galaga, Pac-Man and Dig Dug? Pieces of history and still extremely playable

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Strider
Super duper fun at first. Gets extremely frustrating lategame.

Super duper fun at first. Gets extremely frustrating lategame.
True, but for £3.99.

Two weeks now with a PS4 and I've hit a backlog already - Don't know whether to start Bloodborne in earnest, Last Of Us Remastered or continue on my pointless (but fun) quest to find ever shinier helmets in Destiny.

I imagine you don't know me, but I'm going to throw in my two cents anyway.

Tales from the Borderlands is easily the best one of the series. When it was first announced I was not on board with it at all, despite being a fan of Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel. I just didn't understand how they could make a story based game on the Borderlands series, but I'm glad I eventually gave it a chance. It's pretty, it's funny, and unlike the later Walking Dead games, you actually have enough of a head's up to pull off the QTEs. For the first time in one of these games I didn't miss a single one.

I also loved The Wolf Among Us. Like re93animator, it got me interested in the Fables comic series. I loved the aesthetic, but it didn't seem quite as polished as Borderlands (particularly in some of the backgrounds). I loved the characters and the story, and despite the fact that I had a lot of issues trying to play the game (I bought the severely broken, near-unplayable disc version), I liked it so much I pushed through. It is very forgiving with missing button prompts (they would glitch out and frequently disappear or only show up a split second before I needed to press them), because the action sequences would continue on with Bigby just getting beaten up instead of failing you outright.

The first Walking Dead is good. I loved the characters, I got invested in the story, and even teared up a little at a few parts. It definitely proved that these types of games could be done well, more so than Heavy Rain did. 400 Days was a bit of a disappointing follow-up, but was still in the spirit of season one. Season two on the other hand...I don't like. The QTEs would come out of nowhere, and had very small windows to actually hit them. Failure meant you had to restart, and that really killed the flow of those scenes. The characters this time around were nowhere near as interesting as the ones from the previous entries, and a few returning faces had their previous character development completely destroyed. This was the only game that I played as the episodes were new, but after episode one I just waited for all of them to come out because I couldn't be bothered to remember to download the new parts.

Game of Thrones is tied with Walking Dead Season Two for the worst of the bunch. While the characters and aesthetics of Borderlands and Wolf Among Us really went well with the Telltale style, Game of Thrones is just awkward looking. Everything is dull, the original characters look too cartoonish to stand next to the more realistic tv show models (the show's cast reprised their roles for the game), and the game was really just too much for the engine. Textures would remain fuzzy or pop in and out, the load times were atrocious. I don't even want to know what the disc version of this game looked like. The worst part, however, was that the game only provided you the illusion of choice. There were at least two times where the game proceeded as if I had made the opposite choice, rendering my actions completely pointless. If they wanted to tell a particular story, then don't pretend to let us have a say in how it unfolds. Near the end there were two characters I actually started to like, but I was glad to be finished with it.

The set is definitely worth the $22. For the record, the order I played them in was: Walking Dead Season One (after all episodes were out), Walking Dead 400 Days, Walking Dead Season Two, Tales from the Borderlands (after all eps were out), Game of Thrones (after all eps were out), The Wolf Among Us (disc version).

I thought the game sounded familiar. An updated version is yours for only a pittance. I'm sure the reason I remember this was a Nintendo Power layout I read around 840 times.

@ Mr. T

I am looking forward to your thoughts on TLoU.

I did own TLoU at one stage on PS3 but played it for an hour - The resolution and framerate bugged me so much (normally, I can moan about that but still play through a game) that I set it aside then later sold the disc. It seemed like a game developed for a console that hadn't yet been released, or trying to make your ancient gaming PC play a modern game by lowering all the settings as far as they'd go. It reminded me of the last days of the PS2, even though TLoU was released while the PS3 was still very much a current machine.

I've played through the opening scene on PS4 and the 60fps-ness is extremely welcome. There's also a weird setting, obviously for perverts, which ups the shadow quality but locks the framerate to 30.

A 'worse' button.

I played the first two seasons of The Walking Dead and I bought The Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones and have yet to play them. My complaints with Telltale are the same as everyone: occasional illusion of choice, too passive, choices too obvious or stark (though I'll still take that over choices with totally unpredictable consequences, I suppose). I almost never reach for one if I have something more engaging on the to-play pile.

But that said, I like them well enough to always buy them on sale and play them when my more enticing options are out and I feel like playing something a bit more relaxed. There's enough good about them that I think anyone who likes the sound of what they are is probably going to enjoy them. And at this point I'm far enough along in TWD that I'm definitely getting the third season to see how it all ends.

I am cautiously optimistic for their take on Batman, though. I would hope they sense what a big "get" that is and take this opportunity to really knock our socks off. That might be the rare offering I buy and play from them early.

Summer sale purchases:
Portal 1 & 2 – I’ve beaten them both before, but I mainly just wanted to get access to Portal Stories: Mel.
Mafia II – Just started it. The story seems well written so far, with a grand soundtrack to boot. Looking forward to more.
Remember Me – Started it a while back on PS3. I really liked it despite rather generic gameplay, but never finished.
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth – A lot of the reviews say it’s full of bugs and crashes, but it looked too awesome for me not to pick up.
Subnautica
The Stanley Parable – Played before. Now I just want to have it to surprise some friends.

Recently played:
Rise of the Tomb Raider – Fun overall, but I thought the narrative was really lackluster. 6/10
SOMA – Cool. 8/10
Firewatch – Riveting, but I wish it was a little longer. 8/10

Summer sale purchases:

Mafia II – Just started it. The story seems well written so far, with a grand soundtrack to boot. Looking forward to more.
Greatest in-game collectibles. Ever.