The UK Voting Referendum

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
The pound has fallen so far today that the UK is no longer the world's 5th largest economy. France has overtaken it.
17 million people never gave a ***** about the economy and they probably won't now

there's a frog in my snake oil
and if the Leave campaign think they're going to be saving money, well...

Can we have our subsidies back now please?
Ah Cornwall. Always the sensible face of angry nationalism :/

If you actually think the EU is going to punish you with extremely harsh laws for wanting out, that kinda seems like a good argument for wanting out in the first place.

Kinda odd how the EU is sounding more and more like a Hitler mentality.
"Join us, or pay. Stay with us, or pay"

There's a lot of other countries on about leaving now lol!
Soon it'll just be the Brussels and Germany Union.

Brermany?
Germsels?
It'll be less amusing when Russia starts nosing around the power vacuum. But sure, take glee in one of the key organisations that's helped maintain peace across a traditionally fractious continent possibly fracturing. Bravo.

Kinda odd how the EU is sounding more and more like a Hitler mentality.
"Join us, or pay. Stay with us, or pay"
Yeah, that's, like entirely how Hitler operated.

If you actually think the EU is going to punish you with extremely harsh laws for wanting out, that kinda seems like a good argument for wanting out in the first place.
My thoughts too.

I see a lot of ****-slinging over this and yet if it's bad as some say the "Leavers" will see the consequences soon enough.

As to whether there's a "plan" to resolve the economy, I question any general plan is even capable of stabilizing something as complicated as an economy. Economies are built on trade and trade is an endless process of buying low and selling high. It'll work itself out one way or another, it's merely a question of how long and whether the shift is better or worse in the long term.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It'll be decades, our economy is shrinking rapidly with every minute and consequently when we try to set up deals with bigger economies, they will be able to dictate terms to us, instead of negotiate that would have occurred with access to the EU, a substantially bigger economy.

Why will they be able to "dictate" terms, and why hasn't this same thing happened to all previous nations that were not part of some giant confederation of nations? I don't see any evidence elsewhere in the world for the idea that being independent puts you at some ridiculous trade disadvantage.

Why will they be able to "dictate" terms, and why hasn't this same thing happened to all previous nations that were not part of some giant confederation of nations? I don't see any evidence elsewhere in the world for the idea that being independent puts you at some ridiculous trade disadvantage.
Because we're only a small country to start with. We don't have the size of, say, Australia or even any of the countries in the EU.

Because we're only a small country to start with. We don't have the size of, say, Australia or even any of the countries in the EU.
That didn't stop us from owning their asses all the way up to the early 1900s.

That's just restating the initial claim. I'm asking why you think being smaller leads to this imbalance, and where else I can find evidence of this actually happening. Because from where I'm sitting, this sounds awfully close to an economic fallacy, and I'm getting the distinct impression that people are accepting it (and repeating it) uncritically.

That's just restating the initial claim. I'm asking why you think being smaller leads to this imbalance, and where else I can find evidence of this actually happening. Because from where I'm sitting, this sounds awfully close to an economic fallacy, and I'm getting the distinct impression that people are accepting it (and repeating it) uncritically.
Less land, smaller population, smaller army (especially compared to the joint forces of the EU) etc will all make it easier for us to be dictated terms to.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
At least England has health care for all, benefits for those who can't find work -- you guys will be fine.. I'm afraid for the US.

Scotland still has free college too.

Less land, smaller population, smaller army (especially compared to the joint forces of the EU) etc will all make it easier for us to be dictated terms to.
Those are all just ways of restating the fact that they're smaller. What about this allows them to be "dictated" to, and where else do we see it happening? There are all sorts of independent countries, and nearly all of them are smaller than the EU. Why isn't the EU running roughshod over all of them?

I think there are some pretty fundamental misconceptions about trade underpinning these arguments.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Because without the input of 26 other economies, of course we'll be less influential. On top of that, our economy is currently in freefall, and it's expected to only get worse.

EDIT: Norway and Switzerland weren't punished because they never joined the EU and then left, we're the first to do so. (As far as I'm aware) but we had economic stability to trade with the rest of the world as a part of the EU, something we no longer have.

Originally Posted by DalekbusterScreen5
I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark and say that literally has nothing to do with trade.

Unless you think the world is actually playing a giant game of Civilization, I don't think Ghandi has the temerity to talk down your trade offers on the merits of military superiority.

Because without the input of 26 other economies, of course we'll be less influential.
I can't really unpack what this even means. Less influential in what way, and what practical effect on trade will this lack of "influence" have?

I can't really unpack what this even means. Less influential in what way, and what practical effect on trade will this lack of "influence" have?
We don't have their backing for negotiations anymore. This becomes even more serious when you start to look at things like wars: once we're out of the EU in two years, we won't have their armies to assist us in any battles. We'll be expected to fight them on our own and that'll mean we'll have less soldiers and potentially less control over our land.

The rest of Europe won't help us when we're in trouble anymore. They won't give a damn about us. All those years building bridges and what will it have gained us in the end? Nothing because we decided to be arrogant and claim we can deal with things on our own (we can't).