CiCi's Top Ten Horror Finales!

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Hello, everyone! Seeing all of these other lists being created made me eager to start another one so I decided to start one based on the complete opposite theme of my previous list "The Opening Kills" (that I'll have to salvage at some point).

So here it is, my favourite endings to horror films that both saved what could have been a forgettable film, or maintained the level of artistry and tension sustained throughout their durations up until those credits begin to roll.

Inevitably, there will be spoilers, but I'll just cut straight to the chase and get the first few posted!

Master of My Domain
I hope Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is on this list.

Will be regularly tuning in CiCi.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
10. The Last House on the Left (1972)

Wes Craven's directorial debut left millions breathless at the relentless brutality he showcased against a pair of 17 year old girls (Sandra Cassel and Lucy Grantham) that illustrated not just the revolting nature of sexual violence, but also the heartbreaking consequences it leaves on the victims loved ones that I don't think has ever been replicated to such an extent as seen here (watching them all fight with an innocent "Happy Birthday, Mari" banner in the background makes it so extremely sad and melancholic, for me anyway!)

As such, our hatred of the sadistic rapists is probably unparalleled to any other film character, and seeing them get what they deserve here creates one of the most satisfying endings to a film that I've ever encountered. But with that being said, when all is said and done and the parents of Mari begin to realise what they've become, you ending up with that same bitter taste and feeling of disgust in revelling in the violence enacted against the perpetrators.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I think this will be interesting as it will give me new watchlist ideas.
I hope Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is on this list.

Will be regularly tuning in CiCi.
Where's that Audrey Hepburn "you're making me blush" gif

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Haven't seen that yet always been interested in it though.
Watch it, preferably not with any family members, or partners around

Avoid the remake as well, it's not bad as far as remakes go, but it has very little on this one (The ending in that one is piss poor as well )

Great start to your list! I love that movie, and the ending is classic!
Why, thank you! I agree, it's a classic, and looking back on it, I'd confidently say it's the best exploitation film I've ever seen, mainly because it isn't (overly) gratuitous and tries to deliver a point!

And also that's good because you're going to hate the next addition

Watch it, preferably not with any family members, or partners around

Avoid the remake as well, it's not bad as far as remakes go, but it has very little on this one (The ending in that one is piss poor as well )
Funnily enough after i posted that i read your post and i have seen the remake haha. I was mixing it up with The People Under The Stairs, i would like to watch Wes Cravens version though.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Funnily enough after i posted that i read your post and i have seen the remake haha. I was mixing it up with The People Under The Stairs, i would like to watch Wes Cravens version though.
That looks like an interesting film, I think that's the word I'm looking for anyway

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
9. Deep Red (1975)

The film that inspired Billy the Puppet from Saw!! That's anything but it's main claim to fame though, considering Hitchcock himself was supposedly impressed with the film when he watched it (the ending is clearly inspired by one of the his films, though)

The ending here may seem a bit peculiar, but when put into context of the complex plot, it's masterful. It dispels several red herrings, and even though the killer may come as a surprise, Argento implements touches that just continue to shock. Here, Marcus (David Hemmings) realises that he saw a reflection of the killer during his first encounter with her, and if you rewind to the scene earlier in the film, she's actually there!

But, it also involves a strange, but utterly compelling fight scene that carries a certain verisimilitude to it, and for a man obsessed with scores, the lack of a one here makes it all the more uneasy.

i tried to get it to start at the ending, but I think I failed, but just skip to the 2 hour mark!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
8. Friday the 13th (1980)

It's the film of a 1,000 sequels/reboots/remakes... and it barely featured the infamous Jason Voorhees.

Anyway, alongside featuring the campiest cat fight in a film by epic proportions, the film swiftly employed an entirely different, chilling approach by implementing one of the best and most effective jump scenes I've ever come across, and in regards to my bladder when seeing it, well, in the words of Laura Branigan it took "my self control" (almost anyway )

I only watched Friday The 13th for the first time last year and i'd already seen the ending. Wish i hadn't because it was a great scene, must admit i didn't like the film that much but that was definitely a great ending.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I only watched Friday The 13th for the first time last year and i'd already seen the ending. Wish i hadn't because it was a great scene, must admit i didn't like the film that much but that was definitely a great ending.
I hadn't seen the ending when i first saw it, so I was stunned. I agree though, considering how iconic it's become, it's severely overrated.

Also haven't seen anything from Argento yet. What would you say would be a good starting point?
And you call yourself a movie fan

Deep Red and Suspiria are his best films, so if you don't like them, you won't like his other films. If you prefer violent slashers more orientated around a plot with interesting themes, go for Deep Red, but if you like violent and aesthetically breathtaking supernatural films, then go for Suspiria!

They're very, very different though, so I'd recommend watching both anyway!

I hadn't seen the ending when i first saw it, so I was stunned.
I first saw it on Channel 4's 100 Scariest Moments, that show ruined a lot of Horror Films for me. Freddy vs Jason was the first Jason film i saw.
WARNING: "friday the 13th spoiler" spoilers below
Obviously i know Jason is only in that one scene but you know what i mean

And you call yourself a movie fan
I made no such claim

Deep Red and Suspiria are his best films, so if you don't like them, you won't like his other films. If you prefer violent slashers more orientated around a plot with interesting themes, go for Deep Red, but if you like violent and aesthetically breathtaking supernatural films, then go for Suspiria!
Someone told me to get used to him before trying Suspiria, not sure who it was or why.

They're very, very different though, so I'd recommend watching both anyway!
Will do at some point.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Suspiria isn't a usual film, it's plot is paper thin (although to be honest, I still liked it!) so yeah, I can see why somebody would say that!

I have to return some videotapes...
Friday The 13th was a great ending, in a way it kind of makes the film memorable to me and differentiates itself from other slashers.

Not a big Horror Fan but hey Friday the 13th looks like real cheese