My List of Things that MAY (or MAY NOT) Be Movie-Related

Tools    

Very interesting Capt. I never knew, that you knew so much about art. Question about your artwork: I know you've mentioned working as a cartoonist (illustrator) in the past. Can you tell me more about that and also do you work in other mediums. I have my own little art story that relates to BS in art. I'll post about it, in awhile.
Hi Rules. For the most part I've dropped out of visual arts pursuits (for now).

For me, art as a way to give a visual narrative to my creative expression as I was always coming up with characters & stories as a kid - but I was not a natural when it came to drawing. I was naturally creative, but not gifted with talent like some of the other artists I met. Whatever skills I developed came through practice.

I wanted to be a comic book artist, but just didn't have the skill, patience or persistence to get to that level. Without the skill to render realistically without hours of painstaking effort, I fell into cartooning.

My art school education took place just before the computer age took off, so I was only educated in pre-computer art. I had a comic strip in a school newspaper & I've dabbled in various mediums since.

I tried at different points to get into syndicated cartooning, but no leads ever took off.

I did quite a few freelance commissions, but never enough to make a living off of - and for me, it was always laborious & emotionally fatiguing, taking far longer than it was worth.

It took me a while to admit that I just didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation because it took more effort and time than I wanted to commit (and then there were the mistakes - after 3 weeks of work, spilling ink on it, or finding I spelled something in the piece wrong, or smearing a face on a finished portion with the side of my hand, etc.).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hi Rules. For the most part I've dropped out of visual arts pursuits (for now).

For me, art as a way to give a visual narrative to my creative expression as I was always coming up with characters & stories as a kid - but I was not a natural when it came to drawing. I was naturally creative, but not gifted with talent like some of the other artists I met. Whatever skills I developed came through practice.

I wanted to be a comic book artist, but just didn't have the skill, patience or persistence to get to that level. Without the skill to render realistically without hours of painstaking effort, I fell into cartooning.

My art school education took place just before the computer age took off, so I was only educated in pre-computer art. I had a comic strip in a school newspaper & I've dabbled in various mediums since.

I tried at different points to get into syndicated cartooning, but no leads ever took off.

I did quite a few freelance commissions, but never enough to make a living off of - and for me, it was always laborious & emotionally fatiguing, taking far longer than it was worth.

It took me a while to admit that I just didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation because it took more effort and time than I wanted to commit (and then there were the mistakes - after 3 weeks of work, spilling ink on it, or finding I spelled something in the piece wrong, or smearing a face on a finished portion with the side of my hand, etc.).

It's interesting that you said that you "didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation". One of my college friends was an amazing artist, and he was even offered a job by Marvel. He turned it down because he said that he enjoyed drawing, but if he had to do it for a living, he was afraid that it wouldn't be enjoyable for him anymore.

It's interesting that you said that you "didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation". One of my college friends was an amazing artist, and he was even offered a job by Marvel. He turned it down because he said that he enjoyed drawing, but if he had to do it for a living, he was afraid that it wouldn't be enjoyable for him anymore.
I think that's a common problem, GBG. And it could probably be applied to most creative outlets - as soon as it becomes a "job" (with all the inherent pressures, deadlines, and required compromises & conformities) the love of the craft can soon drift away.

I got involved in some art-related jobs, and while being around other creative people was a great inspiration & motivation, the jobs themselves turned me off to some art aspects. I was a picture framer for a while which kept me close to artists & the art world. I also got a job as a color-separator for a company that supplied services to DC Comics (and to Marvel occasionally & a couple other companies). During that time, even my love for comics began to wane.

#88.

COUNTDOWN LISTS!

Why do we love them? What are they counting down to? Would the world be better without them? What are your top 20 favorite countdown lists? Can you name them in descending numerical order?
Feel free to quote, question, comment, criticize, complain or discuss.

#88.

COUNTDOWN LISTS!

Why do we love them? What are they counting down to? Would the world be better without them? What are your top 20 favorite countdown lists?
Feel free to quote, question, comment, criticize, complain or discuss.
Whoops sorry!

On a serious note I had some thoughts on Bigfoot, but I don't have the time right now. Pizza's about done and I'm turning into a pumpkin in 15mins.

From here on in, I'm just going to list Asian Chicks as "Asian Chicks" (you can just assume they are all part of item #98). Despite our love of Countdown Lists, who wants a countdown list within a countdown list?

ASIAN CHICKS:

So here is Sooyoung Choi of South Korea...

\

(I know Mr. Minio doesn't like this one... Sooyoung is just too perfect... she does have some nice teeth!)

#87.

BUMPING OLD THREADS AFTER YOUR COMPUTER DIED AND YOU HAD TO GET A NEW ONE (BUT YOU HAD TO GET A NEW ONE ANYWAY SINCE "VISTA" IS "NO LONGER SUPPORTED")

Okay, this item is kind of a subset of #89. (BUMPS), but then, everything on this list will be a subset of #100. (THE UNIVERSE).
Hopefully there will just be more cute Asian chicks soon!

Hopefully there will just be more cute Asian chicks soon!
You know I like the old classics, so how about Hideko Takamine! I've only seen her in one movie Twenty Four Eyes (1954)...no it's not a Japanese b-budget monster flick about a multi-eyed creature created by atomic waste. It's about a school teacher and her 12 students.

So there you go! I hope your new computer renders these pics in HD quality!

Thanks Rules.
I remember your review of that movie (at least I hope it's the same one I remember) and it piqued my interest. So it's on my list of films to obtain!
P.S. Pics look great!