Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

So Sean, what qualities do you see in the trilogy and what flaws stick out to you?
Batman has always been my favorite superhero, so someone like Nolan getting a hold of this was an easy set up for me loving the movie. The story of Bruce Wayne has always felt like a more intimate story then other comic books to me. I think that is why I like this trilogy so much as well. The villains are better because they are as much a character as Batman. In a lot of comic book movies you could switch out the villains for anyone and it wouldn't matter, it wouldn't change the dynamic. In Nolan's Batman the villains are key. It sets better stakes. It also sets up great action sequences. I love the action in this trilogy.

As far as flaws. It is really easy to poke holes in the plots of comic book films if that is what you want to do. I really feel like that is what happened with Rises. It was a sequel to maybe the most popular comic movie ever, and it was never going to live up to it. I don't see the flaws. Maybe because I don't want to, but still there it is.

How about you?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well as you said Rises had big footsteps to follow, and it certainly didn't fully deliver, but I still see it as an entertaining film. I'm certainly with you on the villain front, whether it be Scarecrow, Joker, or Bane. I thout all three brought in rather good performances, Ledger among the best I've ever seen in a support role.

Time for a thread revival: Sean and I will next be discussing the Directorial works of Clint Eastwood.

For me, Eastwood is one of those directors that has me invested fully in his stories. His camerawork is in my opinion one of the best that Hollywood has ever had to offer. He always takes stories that are already interesting and brings them even more to life.

The greatest example is the film I rewatched last week, Mystic River. An excellent novel by Dennis Lehane that was adapted to perfection on the big screen. The performances from Penn and Robbins are phenomenal.

I really like Eastwood. Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby are in my 100. He has other movies I am not so fond of. Devil's advocate, do you guys consider Eastwood an auteur? I enjoy his storytelling technique, but I struggle to think of how I would pick his films out of a lineup. What do you guys think about that?

Definitely think Eastwood is an auteur, and at some point I'd like to watch some other films in his filmography and revisit some of my favourites. I think there are constant themes that he likes to explore, questioning his own position as an actor and the male hero that we have come to view him as, and just masculinity in general in fact. Often a male character is thrown into or has to deal with a traumatic event in a certain way. Mystic River, Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, American Sniper, they all fit in with this really, I think.

Eastwood is an auteur for sure. Sean, I would be curious to know what films of his you don't enjoy. For me, I always have a tough time liking Pale Rider. I'm not sure why but it seems the blandest of his films.

What i've seen from him so far ranked:

01.Unforgiven
02.A Perfect World
03.The Outlaw Josey Wales
04.Mystic River
05.High Plains Drifter
06.Gran Torino
07.Play Misty For Me
08.Changeling
09.Million Dollar Baby

I like the concept behind this thread.

Shame I have practically zero interest in directors (their specific influence is usually too difficult to nail down).

What's your thoughts on his directed Westerns, Sean?
I have been thinking about his Westerns since you started us back up. I love Unforgiven and it really stands out as the best of the bunch to me. I know I have seen Josey Wales and Pale Rider but they are fuzzy to me. I really would like to watch those and High Plains Drifter again. He is a great cowboy and I always enjoy his westerns, even the ones he didn't direct. I would be lying if I didn't admit that most of them run together for me.

I think what sets Unforgiven apart is the conflict in the main character. That and the fact that Freeman and Hackman are also in it.

I will try to write something larger this weekend about Eastwood.

What do you think of his war films?

I think I've only seen one of them, which is a damn shame. I liked Letters From Iwo Jima, but not as much as I enjoy his other works. It's probably a film that is in need of a rewatch though as it has been a decent chunk of time since I've seen it. I've also never gotten around to American Sniper yet, but I should. I've heard mixed things.

Think after McCabe i'm going to take a break from the Westerns HOF and 50s to watch something from Eastwood. What would you two suggest obviously other than one of the nine i ranked in my last post?

Think after McCabe i'm going to take a break from the Westerns HOF and 50s to watch something from Eastwood. What would you two suggest obviously other than one of the nine i ranked in my last post?
Rauldc will obviously didagree but I think Letters From Iwo Jima is one of the greatest war movies I have ever seen. Very highly recommended.

That is something i've wanted to see, i know Miss Vicky really likes it and it is not the sort of film she usually does. I'll see what Raul think then i'll decide.

Of all the directors working today, by far Eastwood is my favorite. His auteurs stamp is a lack of gimmicks..with a focus on character study. I enjoy his films as many are period pieces with more adult story lines...and void of typical blockbuster over-the-top action stuff.

I've seen these films he directed:
2014 American Sniper
2014 Jersey Boys
2011 J. Edgar
2009 Invictus
2008 Gran Torino
2006 Letters from Iwo Jima ( I was neutral on this one)
2006 Flags of Our Fathers ( I was neutral on this one too)
2004 Million Dollar Baby
1992 Unforgiven
1985 Pale Rider
1983 Sudden Impact (it's been so long I don't remember much)
1976 The Outlaw Josey Wales
1973 High Plains Drifter

I loved all of his westerns including Pale Rider.
There's been only one film that I hated and that was Changeling (2008)