Movie Tab II

Tools    

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)
8/10
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
7/10
The Revenant (2015)
+ 8.5/10
The Lunchbox (2013)
+ 9.5/10
About Time (2013)
8/10
Ex Machina (2015)
+ 8.5/10
Cinderella (2015)
8/10
Bicycle Thieves (1948)
7/10
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
7/10
My Mother's Smile (2002)
5/10
A Simple Life (2011)
+ 7.5/10
When Marnie Was There (2014)
8/10
Downfall (2004)
9/10
The Witch (2015)
+ 7.5/10
Zootopia (2016)
8/10
Mother (1996)
8/10
The City of Lost Children (1995)
8/10
Painted Skin: The Resurrection (2012)
6/10

Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
+
Star Trek: Generations (David Carson, 1994)

The Goonies (Richard Donner, 1995)

A system of cells interlinked
The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015)

Sicario (Villenueve, 2015)

Black Mass (Cooper, 2015)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Blue Hawaii (Norman Taurog, 1961)

Public Wedding (Nick Grinde, 1937)

Fugitive in the Sky (Nick Grinde, 1936)
+
All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records (Colin Hanks, 2015)

Elton John’s favorite place to go was the Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. which opened early for him and where he claims to have spent more money than anyone. My favorite Tower was on Beach Blvd. in Anaheim.
Night Train (Diao Yi'nan, 2008)

Let’s Dance (David Miller, 1936)

From Headquarters (William Dieterle, 1933)

Scenes from a Marriage (Ingmar Bergman, 1973)

A married couple (Liv Ullmann & Erland Josephson) are there for each other’s daily life but are unable to provide unconditional emotional nurturing.
The Law in Her Hands (William Clemens, 1936)

White Bondage (Nick Grinde, 1937)

Here Comes Carter (William Clemens, 1936)

Night Watch (Timur Bekmambetov, 2004)

Supernatural beings actually control the Earth, divided into two parts depending on whether it’s day or night. A group of the forces of light try to protect Moscow during the night.
Man Hunt (William Clemens, 1936)

Body Team 12 (David Darg, 2015)

Once a Doctor (William Clemens, 1937)

Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982)

Rocky (Sly Stallone) tries to shoo a fly away from the mohawk of Clubber Lang (Mr. T) who pities the poor thing.
Glimpses of New Scotland (James A. FitzPatrick, 1947)
+
Roboshark (Jefferey Landor, 2015)

Arthur & Merlin (Marco van Belle, 2015)
-
The Gift (Sam Raimi, 2000)
-

Clairvoyant Cate Blanchett keeps getting psychic messages about the disappearance of socialite Katie Holmes, as well as some concerning disturbed Giovanni Ribisi.

I'm with Iro on this one. That's screaming to be seen.

I noticed my copy of The Gift today and I now I see you watched in the last day or so. Another film I liked but haven't seen since release. I quite liked that, too.

Because of all the Coen brother talk in movie circles I have been in a mood to rewatch some of their films. I have decided I really need to watch the films I thought less of and have only watched once because of it. For one it made a huge difference in my feeling and rating of the film, the other not so much.

This movie was so much more humorous to me on a second watch. Hanks is great as usual but Simmons and Waynes provided the belly laughs for me. Nothing profound here but I will definitely come back to it because of how many laughs it provided me. No longer my least favorite Coen film, it has moved towards the middle of the pack.

This one will stay put or even move down the rankings depending on how Hudsucker and Simple Man do upon second viewings. It is well written like all Coen films. Clooney has some really funny moments and Jones is simply hot. Those moments are too few and far between for this to move out of the below average rating though.

Independence Day (Roland Emmerich, 1996)

Air Force One (Wolfgang Petersen, 1997)

Space Jam (Joe Pytka, 1996)
Ebert: "'Space Jam' is a happy marriage of good ideas".

The Guest
(Adam Wingard, 2014)

Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed "You're Next", so had decent hopes for this film. It starts off strong, has some great dark comedy moments, but as soon as he began to be "hunted",and I began to realise I would never get a reason for his being, I cared much less. Should have stuck with family element, why did he kill to "help them" in the first place? Also: Strong performances from Dan Stevens & Maika Monroe

The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009)
+

Enjoyed the overall grainy Seventies feel, and despite lingering at times dangerously close to stretching its little plot for way too long, it just about manages to keep the balance right, ensuring that for the first hour there's a terrific amount of suspense. In the end, the final act felt disappointingly rushed. Also: Could have been better if the opening message didn't reveal the film's "satanic" setting.

The Voices (Marjane Satrapi, 2014)

I wish the film had stuck to its more playful dark comedy tone throughout. There are some hilarious moments, in particular from the Scottish-accent cat, but then there are also a number of dark moments that feel slightly out of place, as if they belong in a horror film with a more seriously created, disturbed character. I would recommend this for those seeking out more unique offbeat yet "mainstream" film products. Recommended by Rhys, which I'm glad he did because it gave me some very interesting ideas for myself.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (Eli Craig, 2009)
+

Starts off interesting enough with a decent premise and some clever comedy moments, but as it goes on its thin plot becomes exposed and as a result the film turns into exactly what it was originally parodying, a horror film. Unfortunately a real villain is introduced, complete with unnecessary family backstory, and finally we're also introduced to a romantic plot line that I didn't think worked either.

Black Mass
(Scott Cooper, 2015)
-

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this, so waited a while before seeing it. I didn't think it was fantastic, but there are some good elements here. Very nice photography, and whilst the memorable moments might be the violent scenes of Depp, it's the more subtle, tense moments that I enjoyed. Edgerton, who I was unsure of previously, impressed me a lot. A shame that Cumberbatch and family elements were largely wasted.

The Crying Game (Neil Jordan, 1992)

The relationship of Rea & Whitaker at the beginning of the film sets up an interesting plot that should have made for a complex study of Rea's obsession. Already the study of guilt & sexual desire would have made it interesting enough. But the twist adds nothing & even detracts from the interesting obsession. Disappointing yet predictable "past comes back to bite you" finale & strange subplots left unexplored (Dave).

The Two Faces of January (Hossein Amini, 2014)

For half the film I thought I was going to give this a strong rating, but as so often happens with films that rely on suspense, the last act disappoints, relying on action & plot rather than the subtle implications, strong performances & photography of earlier. The first half felt like a nice mix of Hitchcock & European directors like Antonioni, so it's a shame things go downhill after the "underground" scene.

Fear and Loathing

Great Set of Not so Recent Watches (Ranked):
Mermaid (Melikyan, 2007)-

Horse Feathers (Marx Brothers, 1932)-

[REWATCH] Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Gilliam, 1998)-
++
The Big Short (Mckay, 2015)-
+
The Book Thief (Percival, 2013)-
-

It's nice to see someone else who isn't madly in love with Tucker & Dale. Though I did like it a lot more than you. I remember The Crying Game being a lot better than that, too, but I've not seen it since the mid 90's, I think.

Welcome to the human race...
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is pretty decent as far as genre parodies that stop being parodies towards the end go, but I do agree that it's a tricky balancing act and its flaws can easily ruin it for people.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Oxhide II (Liu Jiayin, 2009)

Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City (James H. Smith, 1949)

The Sellout (Gerald Mayer, 1952)

A Quiet Place in the Country (Elio Petri, 1968)

Kinky pop artist Franco Nero’s inspirations have dried up, but when he moves to the country, he becomes obsessed with a horny ghost who died during WWII.
Phantom of the Rue Morgue (Roy Del Ruth, 1954)

The North Avenue Irregulars (Bruce Bilson, 1979)

The Hungover Games (Josh Stolberg, 2014)

A Night to Remember (Richard Wallace, 1942)

The Greenwich Village apartment of mystery writer Brian Aherne and his new wife Loretta Young seems creepy, maybe haunted and has a disappearing dead body.
The Way West (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1967)

Lisa Lampanelli: Back to the Drawing Board (Jay Chapman, 2015)

Calamity Jane and Sam Bass (George Sherman, 1949)

The Conversation (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

In the post-Watergate era, surveillance aficionado Gene Hackman feels guilty that his latest job may result in innocents being killed (as it was once before).
French Kiss (Lawrence Kasdan, 1995)
+
I Used to Be Darker (Matthew Porterfield, 2013)

James White (Josh Mond, 2015)

Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

The cost of the seven samurai’s defense was high but not unexpected.
The Five-Year Engagement (Nicholas Stoller, 2012)

Sam Whiskey (Arnold Laven, 1969)
+
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Francis Lawrence, 2015)

Everything Is Copy - Nora Ephron: Scripted & Unscripted (Jacob Bernstein & Nick Carter, 2016)
+

She was an essayist, humorist, novelist, screenwriter, director and playwright. She and her three sisters were the children of screenwriters, and she was married to three famous writers. She was very outgoing in her writing about her personal life, but she kept the illness that eventually killed her from basically everyone, including her older son who directed this tribute.