The Love & Heartbreak Song Tournament

Tools    

Round 1 - Day 4:

2 - The Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
vs. 14 - Lionel Richie ~ The Only One

5 - Tracy Byrd - Keeper Of The Stars vs. 7 - Nazareth - Love Hurts - I'm not mad on either really, but I'm obviously not a absolute romantic as I'm finding a lot of the slow ballads way too schmaltzy

14 - England Dan & John Ford Coley ~ Love is the Answer vs. 11 - Jacques Brel - Ne Me Quitte Pas..seriously? how are you voting against Jacques? I even put an English subs version on there for you. No accounting for taste!

5 - Kenny Rogers - Buy Me A Rose vs. 15 - Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially for You - I like the sentiment of the KEnny Rogers song, but Kylie and Jason will always hold a special place in most Brits hearts

3 - Faith Hill - There You'll Be vs. 8 - Whitesnake - Is this love

10 - Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline vs. 11 - Nathalie Imbruglia - Torn - I'm going with my choice as I love it a lot but I would've voted for Neil against most of the other songs in this round
9 - Led Zeppelin – All my Love vs. 2 - Mr. Big - To Be With You - two good one but Led Zep just takes it

9 - Aerosmith – Love in an Elevator vs. 15 - Kim Wilde - You Came (Alternate link for U.S.)

14 - England Dan & John Ford Coley ~ Love is the Answer vs. 11 - Jacques Brel - Ne Me Quitte Pas..seriously? how are you voting against Jacques? I even put an English subs version on there for you. No accounting for taste!
Fret not Christine - I still think you have great taste in music!

5 - Kenny Rogers - Buy Me A Rose vs. 15 - Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially for You - I like the sentiment of the KEnny Rogers song, but Kylie and Jason will always hold a special place in most Brits hearts
Ok - I completely rescind that previous comment

Wow, some of you went from one extreme to the other. You seem to be voting against romantic songs now.
True, but sometimes you just don't like one of the songs.

True, but sometimes you just don't like one of the songs.
Plus - and I can't remember who - but someone also made the point that this tournament is about Love/heartbreak and not romance anyway

And you've voted for exactly how many of mine?
Ummmm, I have no idea. I shall go see right now . . .

Oops!

Hey, have I ever told you that your my best friend on here? You sure are. It's because of how cool you are.

Is any of this working?

But it was totally your fault hun - had you not been tardy with the thread my felicitations would not have been belated The fact I'd not have even known it was their birthday or that my wishes were belated had you not posted in both regards is immaterial
Now, if you had made his birthday thread on time, then I simply would have been replying late, instead of making his thread late. So you see, it's your fault. I'd blame GBG, because she makes a lot of those birthday threads, but she's been busy with this, so I'll let it slide.

Ummmm, thank you!

Ummmm, I have no idea. I shall go see right now . . .

Oops!

Hey, have I ever told you that your my best friend on here? You sure are. It's because of how cool you are.

Is any of this working?
Nope, but it doesn't need to - I vote for the song I prefer irrespective of who nominated it and obviously so do you

Now, if you had made his birthday thread on time, then I simply would have been replying late, instead of making his thread late. So you see, it's your fault. I'd blame GBG, because she makes a lot of those birthday threads, but she's been busy with this, so I'll let it slide.
Touché - matter closed

No need, I vote for the song I prefer irrespective of who nominated it and obviously so do you

Round 1 - Day 5:

11 - Stay With Me Baby - Lorraine Ellison vs. 4 - I Could Write a Book - Harry Connick, Jr.-I don't recall hearing that first one before; I thought it was brilliant.

7 - The Beatles - Something (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 2 - Kool & The Gang - Cherish-Love Kool & The Gang, but never really cared for that song. The other will be tough to beat.

1 - The Bee Gees-To Love Somebody vs. 14 - Dionne Warwick & Kashif ~ Reservations for Two-Never been a Warwick fan while I've loved the other since I was a child when my parents used to play it.

13 - Shakespeare Sister - You're History (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 11 - The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup-I like these about the same, but lean towards the 2nd for the purpose of this tourney.

12 - Beth - KISS vs. 8 - The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You-I love Kiss, but Beth has never done anything for me. I liked that other one.

10 - Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft vs. 14 - Damn Yankees ~ High Enough-I liked that 2nd one but I thought it sounded a little generic.

2 - Kenny Rogers - Lady vs. 13 - Marc Almond & Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart-I enjoyed the 2nd but it's up against a great one.

4 - More Today Then Yesterday - Spiral Starecase vs. 9 - Sugarcube – Hit-For some strange reason, I always thought that first song was sung by Stevie Wonder. I liked the other a good amount as well.

One of my favorites is The Rose, but I nominated it before and it didn't do well. Anyone else like it?
I've certainly nothing against it but for me it pales against something like Stay With Me Baby for instance (as do lots of others) as that one just contains so much passion in it's delivery (can you tell I really wish I'd remembered that one for my nominations ).

Round 1 - Day 4:

2 - The Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love vs. 14 - Lionel Richie ~ The Only One - This was always going to be a tough match up.

5 - Tracy Byrd - Keeper Of The Stars vs. 7 - Nazareth - Love Hurts - If the first wasn't so country or, maybe, even a little shorter this might've been a tougher choice for me.

14 - England Dan & John Ford Coley ~ Love is the Answer vs. 11 - Jacques Brel - Ne Me Quitte Pas - Almost a coin toss. I don't know if I'd have preferred the second in English or not. Probably not.

5 - Kenny Rogers - Buy Me A Rose vs. 15 - Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially for You - Another song I've thought about nominating for various tournaments.

3 - Faith Hill - There You'll Be vs. 8 - Whitesnake - Is this love - I'm more of a fan of the video than the song, so familiarity is probably taking this over the line for me. The other one was OK, though.

10 - Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline vs. 11 - Nathalie Imbruglia - Torn - Love this song. I think I nominated it for the 90's tournament.

9 - Led Zeppelin – All my Love vs. 2 - Mr. Big - To Be With You - It isn't To Be With You.

9 - Aerosmith – Love in an Elevator vs. 15 - Kim Wilde - You Came (Alternate link for U.S.) - I don't think it really goes with the theme, but it's allowed and it's the better song.

One of my favorites is The Rose, but I nominated it before and it didn't do well. Anyone else like it?

Yes I like that song. I think Bette Midler has a great voice too.

Plus - and I can't remember who - but someone also made the point that this tournament is about Love/heartbreak and not romance anyway
I was saying that many of the songs nominated didn't sound like love or heartbreak songs to me. Personally, when I think of love/heartbreak/romantic songs, I think of low to mid-tempo songs with lyrics that express an extreme adoration of a female or male figure, depending on the gender of the one who is singing, and/or feelings of agony for not being around that love figure.
It was just my opinion. I was not dictating the nature of this tournament.
Can we drop this already and move on? I promise I will not make anymore controversial statements, at least not intentionally.

I was saying that many of the songs nominated didn't sound like love or heartbreak songs to me. Personally, when I think of love/heartbreak/romantic songs, I think of low to mid-tempo songs with lyrics that express an extreme adoration of a female or male figure, depending on the gender of the one who is singing, and/or feelings of agony for not being around that love figure.
It was just my opinion. I was not dictating the nature of this tournament.
Can we drop this already and move on? I promise I will not make anymore controversial statements, at least not intentionally.
Just to clarify ... and this will be my final post in this thread aside from posting my future votes ...

a). The use of both a winky and a devil were intended to signify that my comment was very much not intended to be taken seriously by anyone.

b). I've trawled back through the thread and it was actually Gbg that I was being a little playful wtih.

Round 1 - Day 5:

11 - Stay With Me Baby - Lorraine Ellison vs. 4 - I Could Write a Book - Harry Connick, Jr. . Prob couldn't not like anything Harry Connick Jnr did, but if you're talking breakup songs then Lorraine Ellison has the rawest, most heartbreaking of all. That woman is prepared to go down on her knees to keep her man and my heart always goes out to her no matter how many hundreds of times I've heard it

7 - The Beatles - Something (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 2 - Kool & The Gang - Cherish I prefer Kool and the Gang's funky stuff, but besides that Something is a better song

1 - The Bee Gees-To Love Somebody vs. 14 - Dionne Warwick & Kashif ~ Reservations for Two

13 - Shakespeare Sister - You're History (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 11 - The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup I like You're History, but I've always loved Build Me Up Buttercup

12 - Beth - KISS vs. 8 - The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You - The Beth video made me laugh - it was supposed to right? but there's something sweet and innocent about The Seekers, always was. Maybe it's Judith Durham's pure voice but I like it anyway.

10 - Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft vs. 14 - Damn Yankees ~ High Enough = anything drawn against Ol Blue Eyes will have a hard time, specially such a fantastic song in a brilliant Nelson Riddle arrangement, just great!

2 - Kenny Rogers - Lady vs. 13 - Marc Almond & Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart - This was hard cos Kenny Rogers reminds me of my mum, she loved him a lot, but then Somethings Gotten Hold of My Heart reminds me of her too. This version is good, I like the two great voices together.

4 - More Today Then Yesterday - Spiral Starecase
vs. 9 - Sugarcube – Hit - I've never heard of Spiral Starecase before, liked them

I must say tho, we've had to suffer through some bleedin' awful videos in this tourney

Just to clarify ... and this will be my final post in this thread aside from posting my future votes ...

a). The use of both a winky and a devil were intended to signify that my comment was very much not intended to be taken seriously by anyone.

b). I've trawled back through the thread and it was actually Gbg that I was being a little playful wtih.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, again.
No offense to you.
However, this was my opportunity to clarify why I made earlier statements in this thread that gb responded to.
Hope we're all cool now

Lorraine Ellison ~ Stay With Me Baby vs. I Could Write a Book ~ Harry Connick, Jr. - Connick's songs just sound perfect for this kind of theme!

The Beatles ~ Something(Alternate link for U.S.) vs. Kool & The Gang ~ Cherish - Both songs are amazing. I'll go with the song I nominated.

The Bee Gees ~ To Love Somebody vs. Dionne Warwick & Kashif ~ Reservations for Two - Bee Gees all the way

Shakespeare Sister ~ You're History(Alternate link for U.S.) vs. The Foundations ~ Build Me Up Buttercup - I've always liked the Buttercup song

KISS ~ Beth vs. The Seekers ~ I'll Never Find Another You - I liked the sound of The Seekers' song more

Frank Sinatra ~ Witchcraft vs. Damn Yankees ~ High Enough - I liked the sound of the Damn Yankees song more

Kenny Rogers ~ Lady vs. Marc Almond & Gene Pitney ~ Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart - This was a no brainer for me. Kenny Rogers singing a Lionel Richie-penned ballad is definitely a winner

More Today Then Yesterday ~ Spiral Starecase vs. Sugarcube ~ Hit - I liked the sound of The Spiral Starcase song more

Round 1 - Day 5:

11 - Stay With Me Baby - Lorraine Ellison vs. 4 - I Could Write a Book - Harry Connick, Jr.

7 - The Beatles - Something (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 2 - Kool & The Gang - Cherish

1 - The Bee Gees-To Love Somebody vs. 14 - Dionne Warwick & Kashif ~ Reservations for Two

13 - Shakespeare Sister - You're History (Alternate link for U.S.) vs. 11 - The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup

12 - Beth - KISS vs. 8 - The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You

10 - Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft vs. 14 - Damn Yankees ~ High Enough

2 - Kenny Rogers - Lady vs. 13 - Marc Almond & Gene Pitney - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart

4 - More Today Then Yesterday - Spiral Starecase vs. 9 - Sugarcube – Hit