The Love & Heartbreak Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not my favorite cover but timely as it coincides with Mojofilter's Doors countdown.

L.A. Punk bad X doing a cover of The Doors - Soul Kitchen recorded in 1980

I don't think I've ever heard that song by any artist.

Just out of curiosity, how many of my nominations in this tournament do you know? I would've assumed all of them.
I know all of them, after clicking on the links and listening to them, but these are the only songs that I knew just by the title of the song:

The Bee Gees-To Love Somebody
Roberta Flack-The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Billy Joel-Just the Way You Are

So what are your favorite cover version songs?
I don't know offhand. I'll research and tell you later IF there's any.

Oh. The Fugees with "Killing Me Softly." I do like that more than the original.

I don't know offhand. I'll research and tell you later IF there's any.

Oh. The Fugees with "Killing Me Softly." I do like that more than the original.
Is this the right song?

I liked the first 30 seconds or so, but then I didn't like the musical beat that they added to it. It kind of sounded like a slow rap song. But I liked the singer's voice.

Where is HK? Hope he joins in
Last I heard, HK was still deciding whether or not to join.

You should be OK, Christine. Not sure if I'm in or not yet.
Don't wait for me. If you're ready to go, go. If I decide to play afterwards either that's too bad for me or I'll vote on songs if you let me.

Daniel M also showed an interest in joining, so I'm leaving this open for HK, Daniel, or anyone else to join. If nobody else joins by tomorrow afternoon, (about 12 hours from now), I'll figure out how many additional noms we need so we can get started.

Well, I wish I had the time. I LOVE love songs.
There are some great nominations in this tournament. They're listed in the first post of the thread if you want to listen to them.

If you're going to be here every day, you're welcome to join. If not, you're welcome to just enjoy the great music, add your comments, and join in the discussions whenever you can.

When's the deadline?
I'm hoping to start this by sometime tomorrow night, so I'd need to know if you're joining by tomorrow afternoon, (around 2 or 3 PM Eastern Time, about 12 hours from now). I still have to figure out how many extra nominations each person needs to add to bring the tournament up to 128 songs total, but I can't do that until I know how many people join.

I doubt I'd have the time. I'm leaving here in about 4 hours, and I have to get a lot done before then. Then I won't be back until around 7 EST. We had a family crisis. An elderly family member collapsed with a staph infection. We are checking her out of the hospital today, and we have to get her registered in the rehab hospital next. Before all that, I'll be at her house, tending to her bills, laundry, packing, etc . . . No computers until tomorrow late afternoon. I wish I had seen this earlier. Ooops!

I doubt I'd have the time. I'm leaving here in about 4 hours, and I have to get a lot done before then. Then I won't be back until around 7 EST. We had a family crisis. An elderly family member collapsed with a staff infection. We are checking her out of the hospital today, and we have to get her registered in the rehab hospital next. Before all that, I'll be at her house, tending to her bills, laundry, packing, etc . . . No computers until tomorrow late afternoon. I wish I had seen this earlier. Ooops!
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she's okay.

Would it help if I give you an extra day to get your nominations together? If I know that you're definitely going to join, I can calculate that in when I figure out how many extra nominations we need. People will need time to get their extra noms together anyway.

But keep in mind that you would have to be here every day to vote. I don't know how busy you'll be caring for your family member, and family should always come first. Will you be here to vote every day too?

My exact schedule after today, is that I will be at my home for her two weeks of therapy there, and then I am her therapist for the final 3 weeks. The main hospital got the first week. So, that will be two weeks of free time for me. I have no idea how long this Valentine song tournament will last, but I plan on taking my computer to her home for those final three weeks. I will only be on late at night, but that should work, right?

My exact schedule after today, is that I will be at my home for her two weeks of therapy there, and then I am her therapist for the final 3 weeks. The main hospital got the first week. So, that will be two weeks of free time for me. I have no idea how long this Valentine song tournament will last, but I plan on taking my computer to her home for those final three weeks. I will only be on late at night, but that should work, right?
Late at night isn't a problem because the sets will all be open for at least 24 hours. As long as you'll be able to vote every day, that should be okay.

With 128 songs, the first round should be 8 days, the second round should be 4 days, the third round should be 2 days, and then round four should be 1 day, followed by the final 8 songs, the final 4 songs, and the last 2 songs.

So 8+4+2+1+1+1+1=18 days, plus maybe one or two days in the middle somewhere that might end up being skipped for some reason. So you should figure about 20 days total for the whole tournament.

Late at night isn't a problem because the sets will all be open for at least 24 hours. As long as you'll be able to vote every day, that should be okay.

With 128 songs, the first round should be 8 days, the second round should be 4 days, the third round should be 2 days, and then round four should be 1 day, followed by the final 8 songs, the final 4 songs, and the last 2 songs.

So 8+4+2+1+1+1+1=18 days, plus maybe one or two days in the middle somewhere that might end up being skipped for some reason. So you should figure about 20 days total for the whole tournament.
Very good. Then that'll work. I pretty much know what songs I want to use, and none have been taken, from what I've seen. I'll just need some time to make my final decisions, and work up the videos.

Thanks little lady!

Very good. Then that'll work. I pretty much know what songs I want to use, and none have been taken, from what I've seen. I'll just need some time to make my final decisions, and work up the videos.

Thanks little lady!
You're welcome, and welcome aboard.

You'll need at least 8 nominations that you can post here whenever you're ready, and I'll know by late tomorrow if you need 1 or 2 more depending on if anyone else joins tomorrow. (I'm still waiting for decisions by Honeykid and Daniel M.)

Quite glad this won't be starting for my 'today' tbh as need to catch up on a bit of sleep after watching Superbowl L last night ('50' don't look quite as cute or impressive in Roman do it but it's ok - the game wasn't exactly impressive either from an offensive standpoint).

Sorry to hear about your family member Destiny - hope they recover well and all gets back to normal before too long!