Mojo Filter's Top 10 John Travolta Movies

Tools    

There is no way there are ten Travolta performances that I love.

1. Blow Out
2. Get Shorty
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Grease
5. Saturday Night Fever

I did meet him, a few years back. That's Kelly Preston, behind us. That didn't make Old Dogs, Perfect, or Battlefield Earth any more watchable.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden Pike, awesome pic! Thanks for sharing! I agree, Perfect and Battlefield Earth were horrible, but Jamie Lee Curtis made the former at least a bit watchable

3. THE EXPERTS
(Directed by Dave Thomas, 1989)

I know. Most of you have probably never heard of this film, or have and thought it was corny and pretty much an example of bad filmmaking. I loved it, though. I watched this movie probably a hundred times as a teenager. This is the film where John met his future wife Kelly Preston. John stars as a loser who, along with his friend, gets sent to the Soviet Union thinking he is in rural America with the goal of introducing the people there to the 20th century. It's a hilarious film, but only if you have the right kind of humor to see through the corniness of it all.

Trailer

Movie Clip

2. SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
(Directed by John Badham, 1977)

One of the greatest and most influential movies of the 70's, Saturday Night Fever introduced the world to John, a sensational young actor who had incredible dance skills, and featured some of the best songs of all time that were mostly written and performed by the Bee Gees. The movie is also considered the ultimate disco movie, but it's theme is mostly about teen angst in the mid- to late 70's. John's performance as Tony Manero earned him his first Oscar nomination.

Trailer

Movie Clip

1. PULP FICTION
(Directed by Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

One of the greatest, if not the greatest, films ever made, this is the film that brought John back to the public interest after many years in a slump. Legendary director Quentin Tarantino has been credited for reviving John's career after insisting on casting him as Vincent Vega, a hitman with a drug problem, who takes his boss's wife out for dinner -to take care of her -and almost causes her death. His performance earned him his second Oscar nomination, his first being 17 years prior.

Trailer

Movie Clip

I'm pretty good with the 80's but I'm drawing a blank on The Experts. I'm with you all the way on your top two, although I'd flip them.

1. Saturday Night Fever
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Blow Out
4. Grease
5. Urban Cowboy
6. Swordfish*
7. The General's Daughter
8. Broken Arrow
9. Savages
10. Primary Colors

Carrie would be high up for me but he has such a small role that I leave it out.

Next!

I have The Experts on LaserDisc. It's probably a bit better than its critical reputation, but that's not saying much. Decent premise, really cheap-o production, feels like there was more that could have been done with the material with a darker tone and a more sure hand. I love Dave Thomas from "SCTV" onward, but he didn't turn out to be much of a director.

The movie poster, which somehow was done by the great Drew Struzan, may be the best thing about the whole flick. But, again, not saying much.

I have The Experts on LaserDisc. It's probably a bit better than its critical reputation, but that's not saying much. Decent premise, really cheap-o production, feels like there was more that could have been done with the material with a darker tone and a more sure hand. I love Dave Thomas from "SCTV" onward, but he didn't turn out to be much of a director.

The movie poster, which somehow was done by the great Drew Struzan, may be the best thing about the whole flick. But, again, not saying much.

ATTACHMENT 23172 NOT FOUND
I could never find this movie on DVD. I own it on VHS.

I don't know if I could come up with ten. Certainly not ten I'd love, but I'm sure Phenomenom would be in there somewhere. I really liked that.
Phenomenon was a decent film, but not one of my favorites.

You just made me regret placing it at 10. It's just that I haven't seen it in many years. I do remember how great it is, but his most recent films are more fresh in my memory. If I re-watch it, I'll probably place it higher. But oh well, the list must go on
I, too, was surprised that Grease was #10.

7. GET SHORTY
(Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, 1995)

Following his big comeback in 1994 with his Oscar nominated performance in Pulp Fiction, John played a gangster who muscles his way into a big Hollywood production in the black comedy classic Get Shorty that co-starred Gene Hackman and Danny DeVito.

Trailer

Movie Clip

This movie was brilliant and Travolta has rarely been better.