Ryan Coogler

Tools    

I don't know why but I am incredibly drawn to this talented dude. He feels like a unique voice in the movies. A YOUNG black man who grew up in big city urban environment. Usually it would take a director from something like that a while before their big shot. He had his at around 26 with Fruitvale.

I think I am drawn to him as well because he is a year older then me at 29 and was a college athlete (football) as was I (basketball). So it is inspirational to see someone your age that would be relatable to you (I am white) doing such great things. Plus the fact that he writes and directs his own projects always get more respect from me.

My question is do you see him as a great talent? Do you think his influence will keep growing? What should be his next move? What would you like him to do? Just curious on your thoughts. Seems like him and Micheal B. Jordan might be heading for a Di Nero/ Martin S thing.

As for answering those questions myself, I think he just turned down Black Panther. I am sort of torn on if he should do it or not. If he did it and crushed it he would have clout to do basically anything he wanted to after. Would prove he could handle a big blockbuster as well. But I can see him wanting to write it and have complete creative control which is probably why he turned it down. I think he might be attached to the Cybrog movie with DC, which isn't as safe a bet as Marvel's Black Panther to me. DC's universe hasn't proved it yet. But he probably will have a lot more creative control over that.

I think he signed on for the Atlanta teacher scandal with Michael B. Jordon. Not sure if he is adapting it or writing it. I was sort of disappointed by this choice. I am sure he will rock it that's not the problem, I would have just preferred him to write something original. This is the pitfall, at least to me, of most black directors, they go after movies about real life events and people instead of creating their own worlds. One or two is nice but I'd rather see something like Creed or Dope characters that would be created by him.

I dunno thoughts, opinions?

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Looks like Coogler will do Black Panther
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/bl...ed-1201654620/

Like I said up top I'm torn on wether he should do this or not. I think it will be a good move though. If he kills it he will basically be able to do whatever he wants after. Plus you might as well get paid while your at it! Plus it is going be an important movie being the 1st really big black superhero movie. And it's not like it will be terrible, it's Marvel, even there worse movies are entertaining. Be interesting to see how much freedom they give him. He will probably do his other movie with Micheal B Jordan first then Black Panther. Excited to see him work with Chadwick too who I think is freaking talented.

Just saw Creed today. Coogler is so legit. I enjoyed the whole film but was completely consumed by the last 3rd. I heard people gasping and applauding during the film. That's a huge credit to Coogler's direction. It was an awesome movie and I'm not much of a Rocky guy.