Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

My opinion is kinda worthless when it comes to these types of films.

======================================

Shrew's Nest

Trailer:

Oh oh, Olga, this could have been so much better(dodgy acting from a lot and silly dialogue in parts spoilt it). I still love you Olga!

Trailer:

Philomena (2013)

+

A true story, quite simply told very well, with two exceptional performances from Judi Dench and Steve Coogan. Nice and tight with a 95 minute runtime, and packing plenty of emotion. A fantastic watch and a quality recommendation by Citizen Rules.

Philomena (2013)

+

A true story, quite simply told very well, with two exceptional performances from Judi Dench and Steve Coogan. Nice and tight with a 95 minute runtime, and packing plenty of emotion. A fantastic watch and a quality recommendation by Citizen Rules.
I hope one of these days Cricket you'll finally watch my recommendation, Glory!!!

I did-you forgot already? I watched Blood Diamond too.
You watched Glory??? I must've completely missed it!

Edit: I do remember you watching Blood Diamond though

Ash vs Evil Dead

Overall, it's an exiting, bone-crunching, head-smashing, entertaining bloodbath.

I don't usually watch horror/scary stuff, but the trailer didn't make it seem so scary. So I watched all the episodes today.

It was awesome! I liked the fact that there is CGI but practical effects also. They're equally distributed throughout every episode, so...it's kinda awesome. There also is a lot of nasty stuff (mostly gory scenes) and some scenes including exorcisms...or attempted exorcisms.

I did enjoy it but I wouldn't say it's perfect. Still, I give it a

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Human Condition Part III: A Soldier's Prayer
-

And so my 9 1/2 journey comes to an end.

This final part, in my opinion, is the strongest of the entire trilogy. It's a death-haunted piece of work and a fitting finale to a colossal piece of filmmaking. This entire series is the tale of one man, but it is also a tale of the entire Japanese nation.

God's not Dead (rewatch)

Overall...it was better the first time I watched it.

When I look at it again, I realize it's just a bunch of clichés and cheesy dialogues that sometimes are completely unnecessary and don't make any sense.

Don't get me wrong on this one: I am a Christian and I support the message this movie delivers. Still, it was a very bad delivery. From the girlfriend who's a strong Christian that suddenly becomes against the idea of defending God (and therefore finishes her relationship with the main character) to the unrealistic and unnecessary death of the teacher, this movie really was a lousy film.

This movie really disappointed me and even sometimes got me confused because of its unnecessary dialogue and its fast shift between stories. I was expecting a movie mostly based on debate over God's existence with a thrilling ambient. Well, let's just say this isn't it. There are only three "debates" and parallel stories that lead up to the typical happy ending and musical ending Christian movie cliché.

Greatly disappointed, I give this movie a

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
There Will Be Blood (2007)

Currently on a Daniel Day-Lewis marathon. This is the fourth one I've watched since yesterday.

Greatest actor living IMO. This was one of his greatest performances. Everyone was great in it though.

Tomorrowland- 2015

My interest was peaked when this was announced. An orginal blockbuster film not based on any pre exsisting properties or spinoff of anything. (yes I know the park at Disney but an original idea, gotta market it somehow I guess) Plus it has my boy Clooney in it. He has made some of my favorite movies ever (O Brother, Up In The Air, Out Of Sight). He always gets at least a view from me.

The movie overall was really well acted and visually beautiful. I mean some of the scenes are breathtaking. The first 2/3 of the movie is really interesting and captivating, even if I wasn't completely sold on the story. However the 3rd act completely falls on it's face. I am still not sure what the hell happened at the end of the movie. It's very hard to follow what the hell is going on. They have this big Tomorrowland that they don't really utilize or give you much back story either. There is an awkward scene between Clooney and a child actor that probably seemed good on paper but was awkward, at least to me, in execution. I feel like the main girl wasn't really need in the end anyways. It struggles to find who the protagonist is. The 3rd act really messes the movie up even if it is an inspirational message it's trying to send.

I really did enjoy the movie until the 3rd act lost me. I don't know just didn't work for me. Oh well

2/5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Been on a bit of a Norma Shearer kick lately. Three films with her here:

Idiot's Delight (1939)

Norma and Clark Gable are teamed in this pre-WWII flick, wherein Clark is walking the streets for jobs and gets one as a psychic's assistant. Unfortunately, the "psychic" is a lush and can't remember her cues. Norma tries to help her from the side of the stage but ends up ruining the act. Norma apologizes to Clark and they have a little fling then part ways. Years later, Clark is traveling in Switzerland with his six blonde dancer/singers and stops at a Swiss hotel. When they are temporary refused passage beyond the Swiss border because of tensions in the surrounding countries, Clark makes a deal to perform his act with the gals in exchange for accommodations. There are various characters at the hotel, including the great Charles Coburn as a cancer researcher, the equally great Edward Arnold as a German munitions manufacturer, a super Burgess Meredith, who knows what's going on with the German soldiers at the hotel, and best of all, Norma Shearer, who appears as a blonde Russian who accompanies the German industrialist. Clark thinks she's the same woman he romanced years earlier (or is she?). He attempts to find out throughout the movie.

One thing I thought odd was that there was an airfield at the base of the cliff where the hotel sat and German planes took off frequently. This seems to clash with what is known about the Swiss allowing such bases in their country for either the Axis or the Allies. But some people did use Swiss air space for flying over, with the Swiss shooting down anyone who violated their neutrality. But if they didn't include this airfield in the movie, the drama would be lessened I suppose. One of the most entertaining things in the movie is Clark "dancing" and "singing" to Puttin' on the Ritz at the hotel. If you can find this clip, look it up just for laughs. All said, this was a very entertaining movie. TCM showed it with two endings filmed, one for the international crowd, one for the domestic audience. The international ending is much better. But still, fascinating to see both.

We Were Dancing (1942)

Norma Shearer and Melvyn Douglas are loads of fun in this comedy which starts at an engagement party for Shearer, who is found making out with Douglas on the veranda, thus busting up her engagement. She and Douglas run off together, and using their descent from aristocrats, become professional guests at the houses of rich people who like to rub elbows with the elite. They host Shearer and Douglas for free, till it's time to move on, which they do, to the next rich hosts they've read up on. It's only a matter of time before Shearer bumps into her ex-fiance and Douglas into his ex-girlfriend. There's jealousy, the danger of exposure, courtroom shenanigans, and gambling, all in the name of fun. Nice to see these old-timers in their prime, playing for laughs all the way.

The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)

The story of the romance of Elizabeth Barrett and author/poet Robert Browning, which almost didn't happen due to the interference of Barrett's domineering, bitter father. He's played by Charles Laughton, who is super as always and every time he makes you feel a bit sorry for his character, he pulls back and shows what a mean bastard he is. Shearer does a fine job as the sickly Barrett and Fredric March is fine as the opinionated Browning who refuses to give up, despite Laughton's edict that none of his nine children (who are all adults) will marry. Very good drama. Shearer was nominated for Best Actress by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for this film, but Laughton should have been nominated for Best Actor. He is great in this movie.

And, a third in a series that I've come to enjoy quite a bit:

Taken 3 (2015)

Different but still entertaining third installment in the series with Liam Neeson as Bryan Mills, the ex-government agent who in the previous films, was called upon to save one or two members of his family. This time, his
WARNING: spoilers below
ex-wife, played by Famke Janssen is murdered and her body left at MIlls' apartment to frame him.

So Mills has to avoid the police and the foreign criminals who are after him also, all the time trying to prove his innocence and flush out the real bad guys. Of course he uses his "particular set of skills" along the way, including hand-to-hand combat, shooting, torture, causing mayhem on the freeway by driving his car like a jet plane, etc. This movie, unlike the first two, at least in story, plays more like a remake of "The Fugitive," with Neeson in the Harrison Ford role and Forest Whitaker in the Tommy Lee Jones role. Whitaker is particularly good as the somewhat laid-back detective who snaps a rubber band around his wrist, maybe out of nervousness, maybe not---you'll eventually find out. And he tends to smile while checking out where Neeson has just been, figuring out what Neeson is doing or why he's just done something. Maggie Grace is good as Neeson's daughter, who is understandably sad and angry that
WARNING: spoilers below
her mother has been murdered.
She blames her step-dad, played by Dougray Scott, who takes over the role played by other actors in the previous films.

The films should end here because there's seemingly nowhere else to go, but who knows? At the end of the day, this was a fine shoot-em-up and had me guessing a bit at the reasons for the murder.

Be a freak, like me too
I've seen Dirty Harry yesterday because I've read the book by Robert Graysmith about the Zodiac killer a few weeks ago. In the book, Graysmith said that Dirty Harry is very faithful to the criminal case?! I don't understand why he said that, this isn't the case at all. I was also interested in this movie because it launched the Italian sub-genre the poliziottesco.
I'm a little surprised that this movie became a cult film. The pace is very unequal, this stuff of peeping Tom is badly developed. And frankly... Clint Eastwood has always the same facial expression. The Italian director Dino Risi said about him in Leone's films : "Clint Eastwood has two facial expressions : one with the cigar and the other without the cigar"

No, it's not Photoshop

This was an amazing movie and one of the best of 2013. In fact, I personally felt it should have won the Oscar for Best Picture that year. Dench and Coogan were brilliant and had a powerful chemistry.

Philomena (2013)

+

Edgar Allan Poe