Movie Tab II

Tools    

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The opening sequence is incredible, as are the highly imaginative special effects. There are a lot of great elements here, like the nightmarish, distinctly 80's soundtrack, and the feeling that you are waking up from a bad dream only to enter another. But even for all of the things it does right, Nightmare on Elm Street overstays it's welcome for 20 minutes.

Don't Look Now

Beautifully shot on location in Venice, Don't Look Now offers up some flashy moments and little substance. Some of the moments attempting to be creepy just come off as goofy and Donald Sutherland's performances ranges from excellent to hilariously bad (likely due to some poor dubbing).

I found out about this flick from a list of horror movies. I would not describe it as that. It's actually a very tame thriller, with some paranormal elements and a very unnecessary sex scene. It's not a complete misfire though, there are some truly creepy moments and the ending almost redeems the rest of it.

Back in Time (Jason Aron,2015)
++++ - Today I watched this fantastic documentary that explores everything behind the cult classic film series that is Back to the Future. As a die hard, full fledged BTTF fan for the past 30 years, it was a wonderful addition to the never ending fantasy trilogy. Not an addition as to a fourth film obviously (which what Back to the Future: The Game literally is) , but an added feature for all futurists. It was nice seeing Stephen Clark in the documentary too. Unfortunately, Tom Wilson (Biff,Griff and Mad Dog Tannen) wasn't part of it. Though he did voice the character of Biff and all his time travel character versions in the game.

Ever since BTTF day on October 21st, the massive cult fan base has gotten bigger and grander than ever. Not that it wasn't already huge in the first place.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Manson Family Vacation - That title may hint at a cheeky sort of spoof, but this is not that film. A successful Lawyer gets an unannounced visit from his estranged, mentally ill older brother who's uncomfortably obsessed with infamous cult leader Charles Manson, and they go on a strange road trip to the scenes of his crimes. This film is scary without being a horror, funny without being a comedy, and a fascinating study of why damaged outsiders were so drawn to Manson. It's a bit slow, and extremely talky, but also a rewarding experience for those who will have the patience to watch this unnerving journey into darkness.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Tommy Lee Wallace, 1982)

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (Dwight H. Little, 1988)
+
Halloween 5 (Dominique Othenin-Girard, 1989)
-
Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978)

So when did Michael Myers become possessed by the Boogeyman?
Question 7 (Stuart Rosenberg, 1961)

Apartment Troubles (Jennifer Prediger & Jess Weixler, 2014)
-
Her Name Is Sabine (Sandrine Bonnaire, 2007)

Fists in the Pocket (Marco Bellochio, 1965)

At the wake of their mother (Liliana Gerace), sexy Paola Pitagora talks with amoral brother Lou Castel about improving the family situation, unaware that he did his part by eliminating mom.
Romanoff and Juliet (Peter Ustinov, 1961)

Black Sheep (Allan Dwan, 1935)

If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (Florin Serban, 2010)

Get on the Bus (Spike Lee, 1996)
+

On a bus traveling from LA to DC [2,700 miles] to the Million Man March at the behest of Louis Farrakhan, a group of disparate African-American males get into some philosophical discussions about history and current events, but their heart and soul is represented by the oldest and wisest (Ossie Davis).
Gigi (Jacqueline Audry, 1949)

Love Is News (Tay Garnett, 1937)

Irreconcilable Differences (Charles Shyer, 1984)

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (Felix Herngren, 2013)
+

Centenarian Robert Gustafsson escapes from his old-age home and gets mixed up with mobsters and an elephant, among others. We learn too that he’s an explosives expert who was present at many important events of the Cold War.
Pound of Flesh (Ernie Barbarash, 2015)

Immediate Family (Jonathan Kaplan, 1989)

For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada (Dean Wright, 2012)

Waterworld (Kevin Reynolds, 1995)

After escaping death at a floating community, mutant mariner Kevin Costner travels with his savior Jeanne Tripplehorn and special girl Tina Majorino, and they’re pursued by madman Dennis Hopper who’s seeking a legendary paradise called Dryland.

Balto III: Wings of Change (Phil Weinstein, 2004)

One Minute to Zero (Tay Garnett, 1952)

Ali: An American Hero (Leon Ichaso, 2000)

The Hunters (Dick Powell, 1958)

During the Korean War, American Major Robert Mitchum leads another mission against Chinese MiGs.
Lady of the Night (Monta Bell, 1925)

A Lady of Chance (Robert Z. Leonard, 1928)

Yosemite the Magnificent (James A. FitzPatrick, 1941)
+
The Great Sinner (Robert Siodmak, 1949)

Young writer Gregory Peck is drawn deeply into gambling by the beautiful daughter (Ava Gardner) of General Walter Huston.
Exists (Eduardo Sánchez, 2014)

Aliyah (Elie Wajeman, 2012)

Growing Up and Other Lies (Danny Jacobs & Darren Grodsky, 2014)

The Circus (Charlie Chaplin, 1928)

The Tramp tries to elude the police in a hall of mirrors.
Hunt the Man Down (George Archainbaud, 1950)

Free Men (Ismaël Ferroukhi, 2011)
-
The Baby-Sitters Club (Melanie Mayron, 1995)
+
The Chase (Arthur Penn, 1966)

Sheriff Marlon Brando and prison escapee Robert Redford are both in danger of mob violence in a small Texas town.
I Am Giant: Victor Cruz (Gotham Chopra, 2015)
+
The Joneses (Derrick Borte, 2010)

A Man Betrayed aka Wheel of Fortune (John H. Auer, 1941)
+
Manson Family Vacation (J. Adams, 2015)
+

Two brothers, lonely Linas Phillips who has a Charles Manson obsession and family man Jay Duplass, take a road trip to visit the sights which made the Manson Family infamous.

Care to expand a little on The Chase, Mark? I just looked it up and I see it's got a very nice cast/director combo. I never heard of it before your post.

The Chase has a huge cast, and most of them get to chew the scenery. Brando and Redford give the most-low-key performances. Although there are elements of a social satire and a brooding thriller, the film's editing was taken away from Penn and it was turned into an obvious soap opera. You should still see it though since there are pleasures to be had.

Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978)

So when did Michael Myers become possessed by the Boogeyman?

WHY MARK WHY ?

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1997)

Monster House (Gil Kenan, 2006)
-
Tracers (Daniel Benmayor, 2015)
+
Management (Stephen Belber, 2008)
+

Five Miles to Midnight (Anatole Litvak, 1962)

Rampart (Oren Moverman, 2011)

Electrical Power (Henry Hoffman, 1938)

The Gift (Joel Edgerton, 2015)
+

Jason Bateman receives one of the gifts from former high school classmate Joel Edgerton whose intentions aren’t clear at the beginning.
The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course (John Stainton, 2002)

Balto (Simon Wells, 1995)

When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Patrick Read Johnson, 2001)
+
The End of the Tour (James Ponsoldt, 2015)
-

On the last leg of his book tour promoting his brilliant novel Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel), is interviewed by journalist David Lipsky (Jesse Eisenberg) for Rolling Stone magazine.
The Bravados (Henry King, 1958)
+
The Rainmakers (Fred Guiol, 1935)
+
Watchtower (Pelin Esmer, 2012)
-
Bridegroom (Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, 2013)

Shane Bitney Crone and Tom Bridegroom were in a commited, loving relationship in Los Angeles for six years until Tom’s accidental death, but their rural families reacted differently to their love.
Taken from Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story (Gary Harvey, 2011)

The Sound and the Fury (Martin Ritt, 1959)
+
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (Vicente Minnelli, 1970)

Into the Blue (John Stockwell, 2005)

Basically a remake of The Deep with young divers, including Jessica Alba, in the Bahamas finding a sunken treasure ship, a wrecked plane with cocaine and several sharks.
Tu dors Nicole (Stéphane Lafleur, 2014)

The Sicilian Clan (Henri Verneuil, 1969)

Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (Frank Sabatella, 2009)

The Petrified Forest (Archie L. Mayo, 1936)

Killer Duke Mantee (Humphrey Bogart) temporarily holes up in a desert diner where he meets existential Leslie Howard and dreamer waitress Bette Davis.

I am glad I watched this because the story is truly unbelievable. I am very confident in saying that the book is probably twice as compelling. That is because the narrative is really straight forward and there is no actual footage to show and, quite frankly, the reenactments are not great. That leaves a little bit to be desired in this format, worth a look if you don't know the story though.

Van Helsing (Stephen Sommers, 2004)
+
Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1994)
+
Around the World in 80 Days (Frank Coraci, 2004)
+

Haven't had much time for movies or MoFo in that past few months, just caught up on the thread and great post guys. I think I'll try to watch a nice movie this weekend and give a quick write up, for now here's a lazy post of the 3 films I've watched in the past 2 months, and a great song.

Recent Watches:
The Visit (Shyamalan, 2015)-
-
Citizenfour (Poitras, 2014)-
-
Goon (Dowse, 2011)-

This is a really well done doc but I was hoping to love it more because of some of the things I had heard about it. Because of the topic this movie could not be more uncomfortable to watch. We are constantly hearing things for an hour and a half that most of us can't spend more than five minutes talking about. What makes the doc so interesting is that as soon as we are given a point a view about one of the people we are immediately given an opposing view point. It is a very interesting way to tell the story because it keeps the viewer guessing. However at the end of the day we are left with a man who has done incredibly horrific things even if he didn't do ALL that he was accused of. It's a fine line that doesn't end up mattering to me when I step back and look at the big picture. Very well done movie and the subject matter is very disturbing but compelling. It is a look at how a seemingly normal guy can be doing the most unimaginable things.

I really wanted to love this. I don't want to be the guy on MoFo that dismisses an entire genre. However, I am always amazed that when I watch one of these classic horror films I come away with the same exact problems. The script and the acting here is absolutely horrendous. The characters are shallow so we are left with nothing but how they are eventually going to get killed off. It is a slasher so spoiler alert:
WARNING: "Halloween" spoilers below
They are going to get killed in their bra and panties making out with their boyfriend.

That is all except for our protagonist who will have a close call (worst bit in the movie) and get away. Not all is bad as you can see from my star rating. The music is great and I really like the way the camera moves. The first person POV shot in the opening is really good, even if it is ultimately ruined by Myers stand at the end of the sidewalk with no blood on him and just a but at the end of his knife. All the cinematography remains great throughout though.

I wish I didn't hate on all these horror movies, but I just do. I find them corny and most importantly not in the least bit frightening. I will keep trying every so often until I get through the classics but this is another dud for me.

I really wanted to love this. I don't want to be the guy on MoFo that dismisses an entire genre.
Don't worry, that position has already been taken.

Accattone (1961)

The Iceman Cometh (1973)

Mamma Roma (1962)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

R.I.P.D. (Robert Schwentke ,2013)
- Except for 2 or 3 cool chase and action sequences, this was completely idiotic.
Did you really expect anything else? I'm surprised you liked two or three bits of it.