The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I was 'Sons of Drebin' for a while, then 'Sons of Camp' (pink colours, natch). The little details in this game are a total joy.

Just found the Friday I'm In Love tape ..... music from the future.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It gives new meaning to the term sop.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok I seem to have bought Saint's Row IV & Arkham Asylum in some Steam flash sales. That should tide me over

(Although think I'll be saving Arkham for a bit. There's only so much magnet-fist action you can take in a year ).

---

I've also prepped for eventually succumbing and getting MGV PP - I've read this summary of the plot (minus V-era spoilers). Dear lord. It's like the Manchurian Candidate having gone off its drugs. Talk about a snake eating its own tale

---

@Seds, I'm guessing you got Shadow of Mordor. The Nemesis system is great (and ludicrous). Well worth the massive download for all that potential dialogue

(I found the first few hours a bit slow, but well worth plunging through to get the more free-flowing parkour/arkham combos going. The second half of the game also features a far prettier map and a particularly ludicrous power that makes taking out your Nemesises and general combat/stealth extra fun )

It's in no way challenging, outside possibly the first boss fight, and some poisonous cave sections, but it's a strangely pleasing world to slink about in

I've somehow racked up 60 hours in MGS 5.

3 of them have been faffing around grinding money and time to research a particular weapons tree in order to tackle a certain boss - Pro tip: Even if you're a stealthy stealthist like me, get some higher level rocket launchers researched. Trust me.

Found the Spandau Ballet tape, though, so it's all good.

Still on the hunt for:

EDIT - Non-spoiler shot by the way. Quiet's got one helluva mix tape in her cell but she's not for sharing.

The 80s cassette things is a surprisingly strong selling point for me

Think I'm showing my age...

Yep, I found a stack of cassettes in a box in a cupboard at home the other day.

In fact, I nearly mucked up a run through a heavily guarded mansion in the game because I heard the strains of True coming from the floor below and knew I had to backtrack and get it. Walked in on 3 elite XOF guards, sadly not slow-dancing...

After all these years of MG, I've finally found a use for the cardboard box...and it's mail fraud.

The animal fetching finally struck me of how it similar to RDR it is. Well, short of the skinning and gruesome sound efx.

Yes Golgo, wade into the warm waters. Let them wash over your being and imbue your soul. Join this nomadic tribe of spice hoarding belly walkers.

Apparently the target training on MB does not save after completion. All the time you spend interrogating your men and fetching diamonds, will be for not if you meet an untimely end. My favorite so far, has been stepping on the giant radar (?) globe. I probably flushed an hour's worth of game time down the drain.

Future s.o.p will be to complete a training exercise and then do something to initiate a save.

p.e.

I should have known there would be an s-ton of Quiet gifs out there...but, sheesh internet.

I'm decades behind. Haven't played anything this century. Still, i nostalgically recall Manic Miner, Bruce Lee, Match Point, Jet Set Willy, Underwurld, Sabre wulf, Pygamarame, Everyone's Wally, Knight Lore, Ant Attack, Moon alert, (Target) Renegade on Spectrum and the shadow of the Beast, Passing Shot, Interceptor, Shufflepock caffe, The Maniac Mansion, Zachery McCracken and the alien mindbenders (about aliens who the stupidest in the universe, only behind us, so they came to make us even stupider than them), Indiana Jones and the last crusade, Loom, the Dune on Amiga.

Oh Beatle, 98% of the stuff you mentioned could have been written in chinese. Maniac Mansion on the other hand, is one of my favorite games and one of the few things that would warrant me buying a Nintendo to play...

Well, that and the greatest Mega Man clone ever.

I'm probably about 6 or 7 hours in MGS5 and, while it's good, I don't like it quite as much as the older games. Is anyone else just not that crazy about the whole open world aspect? To me, everything just looks the same, they re-use the same base for like 4 different missions so far and there doesn't seem to be all that much to do in the open world besides doing side-ops and pick flowers. So far I liked the opening sequence more than this whole Afghanistan open world thing.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Punished Snake. It's kind of annoying how he just doesn't talk 90% of the time, and just sits there with a blank expression on his face. Not saying there's anything too terribly wrong with it but it's well established that Snake (all the Snakes) talk a good amount, and with this one he just doesn't seem like he's actually Snake/Big Boss. You'd think with Kiefer Sutherland voicing him they'd want him to have more lines.

I don't know, I'm definitely gonna be playing it more but I hope it picks up a bit more for me.

The choice of exposition method (which is all that the old codec conversations were, anyway) makes total sense in this style of game. A free flowing non-linear (to an extent) open world game wouldn't be very free flowing when you're constantly being interrupted with massive dollops of plot and lore.

You're now only fed what's absolutely necessary for the mission but all the old MGS fluff is still there to be listened to at your leisure.

I was very cautious when MGS 5 was announced as an open world game but, my god, they've nailed it perfectly. The way it's been integrated with the traditional massive set-piece boss fights, and if you make it to the end of act I you'll know what I'm talking about, is as heartening as it is clever.

I think it's the best MGS game (and I've been a fan since the first) by quite a margin.

Yeah I feel like I should probably play it a bit more before I really judge it. That was just my first impression really.

I can't help but miss the super-long cinematic cut scenes though, because that's what Metal Gear was really, a very cinematic experience. I do have a feeling that things will pick up later in the game though.

And favorite MGS by far?! I have a hard time believing that this will end up being better than MGS 1 or Snake Eater. To me, MGS 1 had possibly the greatest cast of characters in any game ever.

Was never a huge fan of MGS 3. I just didn't find it fun to play what with all the camo micromanaging and feeding, plus the camera was flat-out awful until they fixed it with the Subsistence edition. MGS 1's a classic, and will always have a place in my favourites but it has aged (and this is from someone who attempted to play all the games again in preparation for 5) terribly.

Have no fear on the long cut scene front, either. They're in there, not as abundant (or interminable) as in previous games, but they do make up a decent portion of the game.

Is anyone else just not that crazy about the whole open world aspect? ... doesn't seem to be all that much to do in the open world besides doing side-ops and pick flowers. ... You'd think with Kiefer Sutherland voicing him they'd want him to have more lines.
I agree with almost everything you said.

I find myself yearning for a confined industrial-military setting / lots of metal corridors / steel grate flooring. Experimental laboratories full of exposed technology and science stuff .

I'm struggling with all the rpg like add-ons. Mother Base development, weapons development, yada-ya. I feel like I don't fully understand and therefore I may be missing out. (I do have on good account to make sure my rocket launcher game is on point. ) I would prefer less choice, because it would not be so overwhelming.

The open world seems really vacant. I get tired of grabbing the taragon, black carrots, etc (the hell with you wormwood, nobody likes you), because I know I have to. The missions do feel samey and just recycled on a new map down the road. I don't want to ride a horse (unlike RDR) between camps or get mailed in a box or call tha choppa.

David Hayter is Snake and it bothers me every time that Boss talks in this game. Each time I slow my horse and I hear Kiefer Sutherland "whoa, whoa", it makes me cringe. It really pulls me out of immersion, because I identify the talking as being done by David from the Lost Boys.

Now for the last part. I love it! The polish, the sounds, the visuals, the detail to minutiae. This game deserves all the 10's and 5 stars and superlatives it has garnered. I get so tired of half-butt developed games and their choppy play and images and phoned in voice acting.

There is no such thing as the perfect game. As much as I champion Gran Turismo and Uncharted as my favorites, I could list more faults than above for each one. Games like this (on platforms at least) are so few and far between that I am savoring every bit.

My base basically runs itself, and that's the way I like it. As long as you spend some time early on levelling up your various platforms, Fultoning everyone/thing you see (especially containers) and sending your troops out for well-paid jobs (to pay for the levelling up) you can kinda forget about it and only come back every so often to shower.

Well I just finished my first ever MSG mission . I cack-handed my way through the main Zeroes one, with a D-rating, and only two time paradoxes. (Did I kill Jimmy Carter or something?)

I can see the appeal, and I like that you can go all noob carnage where necessary (although I do now feel that I've cheat-scoped the level somewhat). Was a fun intro all told - no real tutorial, just go survive and learn the rules. By the end, having given myself over to some inevitable casualties, I was just pot-shotting my path clear with the unsilenced sniper, and enjoying the confusion from various bushes

I think stealth games are eminently silly ultimately, with defenders cooling down to nonchalance in minutes, but I liked how their presence ramped up here as thing's progressed. Yet another reason to try a proper stealth run, although I feel like I could do with a few more toys... (I figure they're forthcoming ).

That baked in silliness meant I was fine with the sheer ludicrousness of the little plot sample too, altho the grit/cartoon-opera combo didn't sit entirely comfortably.

WARNING: "Pocket Rocket" spoilers below
Really, the ultimate sacrifice combined with cavity kaboom? Even John Waters wouldn't go there

Was never a huge fan of MGS 3. I just didn't find it fun to play what with all the camo micromanaging and feeding, plus the camera was flat-out awful until they fixed it with the Subsistence edition. MGS 1's a classic, and will always have a place in my favourites but it has aged (and this is from someone who attempted to play all the games again in preparation for 5) terribly.

Have no fear on the long cut scene front, either. They're in there, not as abundant (or interminable) as in previous games, but they do make up a decent portion of the game.
I'm surprised that you weren't a fan of 3, I thought that was arguably the best one. I think what helps it was that besides the main game, I have fond memories of the Ape Escape-themed side missions.

I can understand the first one having aged quite considerably. Did you ever play the remake Twin Snakes for the Gamecube? The cut-scene they made with Gray Fox is quite possibly the best Metal Gear cut-scene ever. Bad-assness times 1000!

Oh and regarding MGS5—just want to say I hope expressing my criticisms didn't make it seem like I wasn't enjoying the game, because I definitely am. It still has the classic Metal Gear substance that I've been a fan of for so many years. I guess I just need a little more time to adapt to the changes this time around.

2 and 4 were also great, by the way.

That entire post was great Golgo 13 .

@FW

I think that enjoying the game despite your criticism of it, says a lot. People that can't say anything bad, or don't have any vices are the ones I trust the least.