The Videogames Tab

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
MGS 5 is coming in at a pretty reasonable 20GB (5 less than Mad Max). Shouldn't be too surprised, I suppose, as Ground Zeroes was only 2 or 3 gigs.

I saw you were on and was gonna request a status update.

Getting better at Dark Souls, still hard as ****. I'm at that point when you can get cursed by frogs, most intense part of the game for me.
I give you credit for playing that one. After a childhood of NES games, I've had my fill on hard times. As soon as I start getting mad (?s), I walk away.

My homeboy is playing the new Duty beta and he never sounds like he is enjoying it. Hour after hour...

The People's Republic of Clogher

I saw you were on and was gonna request a status update.
The status update is this -

Got up, turned PC on, had breakfast.
Saw MGS5 was available for download and the Mad Max pre-load was also ready.
Clicked Install on both.
Had a shower.
Came back to my PC screaming 'I don't have enough hard drive space' at me.
Had to cut/paste my Witcher 3 install folder to another drive because I'd forgotten that Steam needs double the initial space to unpack a game and Mad Max was struggling.
Resolved, now that prices have come down so much, that 120GB SSDs are trash and 250GB is the new minimum.
MGS5 is on a 250GB SSD.

I'll probably actually play the thing this evening...

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Guys, this is my video, its just one minute of your time (no literally, its one minute long...) so if you could check it out. I tried with Let's Plays a while back, but it ain't for me, so here we go, new idea, tips and tricks videos, something that will show you secret places in games and stuff. They tend to be short so its a lot easier to do.

Here it is:

Looks like you got the treasure chests figured out. What are you running this off of?

Where do you attach the Fulton?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Snagged 45mins with MM. PC port seems really solid. Wasn't checking fps but it felt up in the 60s to me on top settings. Only one lag spike in a very busy spot.

The world itself looks grand. Lovely little wind and particle effects everywhere, shifting the sand about, with the bones of a suitably rumpled & tortured landscape beneath. The smoke from distant camps acts as a decent incentive to drive over the next hill. Great draw distance too means you can see strange structures from afar, even if they're separated from you by a giant fissure for now.

The opening cut-scene's conclusion wassss batsh*t though. Very much in the bombastic JC2 mode. But I'm ok with a cartoony Mad Max

Looking forward to plowing some proper hours into exploring and upgrading. Shame there's no UI options though - I'd really like to get rid of the combat prompts to make it a bit more challenging. Supposedly you can remove the HUD entirely in camera mode. Hopefully more nuanced mods will be on the way

The 3rd-person-brawler mobility & camera view does feel a bit at odds with the 'explore every cave and corner' incentives somehow. And they're very shy about telling you how to go into first person mode in the car (supposedly it's up on d-pad, yet to try). Looking forward to cruising about in full immersion mode tho

Snagged 45mins with MM. PC port seems really solid. Wasn't checking fps but it felt up in the 60s to me on top settings. Only one lag spike in a very busy spot.
I know someone else playing it on a 970 and he says it runs super well. Take note WB - Don't farm out your PC ports to under-manned and under pressure 3rd parties and let the original developer do them.

Phantom Pain runs excellently too. Everything's cranked up and the GPU's fans are barely running - No surprise really, Ground Zeroes ran brilliantly on the 780.

So far it's everything I expected: A bigger, more open Ground Zeroes with added MGS lunacy. Still not sure about Sutherland in the title role - No stain on him as an actor and he's not been given anything more than a few emotes so far but I miss David Hayter.

Most of all I miss those interminably long Codec calls. Weird, huh?

What do you mean? What I used for recording?
Yea. PC, Playstation, or Xbox.

Glad to hear everything is working for everyone. I may just go full-massochist and deny MGS until I finish riddling.

...and tatty, everyone misses the codec convo.

It's offtopic, but if I had PS2, I would play this game for sure

Hey now. I got an 80g Ps3 (motostorm bundle) that's on the market.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Yea. PC, Playstation, or Xbox.
Oh that, PC. Recorded with OBS. And by the way, starting tomorrow, there will be 3 videos a day, I hope people will find something interesting in there.

PCSX2

It's delving into the grey area of emulation but I use it with a clear conscience, playing all my old PS2 games in glorious teneightypee-ovision with a (whisper it) 360 controller. You need a reasonably powerful PC to pull it off, however, especially the CPU.

I actually ordered a new hard drive (160GB for under a tenner brand new!) for my actual PS2 last week. IDE drives are getting hard to find and the one which is in my console currently had previously been running in more than one PC and makes more noise than me getting out of bed in the morning. A hard drive (which only works with the older fat PS2s plus a network adapter) and OpenPS2Loader installed means you can install games directly and run them without the disc with much improved load times.

Ground Zeroes save transfer unlocks content in PP. Need to find a redbox or do the ol' Gamestop buy and return a used game rental tactic.

Not that it matters...I was getting tyres, now I am getting an inspection, and I will be hanging out at the DMV.

NHL 15 in anticipation of the impending release of NHL 16!

there's a frog in my snake oil
I don't normally leak Elite excitery in here (because much of it is puff and vapour ), but the combat arena just hit Beta, and lo, it is fun

For the uninitiated it takes the nippier smaller craft of this space sim and gives them some fun obstacles to flip around, while capturing flags and blazing fools and whatnot

Works well . They might almost be right that it could become a minor eSport... if they get spectator cams and all that in. (And find some streamers who don't sound like engineers rating their favourite spanners )

You. Can. Fulton. Sheep.

I think I've found the greatest game of them all...

Also: The soldiers you recruit for your base have the most Metal Gear names imaginable.

Frantic Goat is gonna be a star, I can feel it.

Man, this game's good. It's as if they remade Far Cry to the extent that I actually want to play it ... and it's a mini-game inside Metal Gear Solid!