War movie ID

Tools    

I remember this movie in which there was a guy who was the underdog of the company, but he was a kind guy. So while they were on the ship, waiting to attack an island full of japs, tension was building up, and the soldiers were trying to relieve the tension in any way possible, and this guy goes around asking if anyone needed their bayonet sharpened, and if they did he went to sharpen it. Then in the end he dies, killed by a jap hidden in a tunnel or something like that.

Then i remember another WW2 movie, but maybe it s the same one. I just remember this scene of this guy running, with a lot of japs on his back, who shoot him several times and then he falls down dead. He was one of the protagonists.

I know it s little information but it s all i remember. Could it be that one (or both) of the movies was Flags of our fathers?

Also: i remember seeing edward norton in a war movie. But i looked on the internet and didn t find anything, so i was wrong right?

The only war film Edward Norton has been in is "Kingdom of Heaven", which is about the Crusades.

Sounds like Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line, which had just about every male actor except Edward Norton in it. Jim Caviezel plays the gentle, peaceful soldier who winds up getting killed by several Japanese soldiers who chase him down in a shallow river.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra