Instrumentals Song Tournament

Tools    

Round 1 Day 3
Squarepusher - Don't Go Plastic vs. The Surfaris - Wipeout
Rush - La Villa Strangiato vs. Savannah River Holiday: Overture - Ron Nelson
Mussorgsy - Bydlo (from Pictures at an Exhibition) vs. Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)
Ramin Djawadi - Game of Thrones theme vs. Michael Nyman - In Re Don Giovanni
Floods - Hildur Gudnadottir vs. Sibelius - Finlandia
Autumn 3 (Vivaldi Recomposed)- Max Richter vs. Pink Floyd - Marooned Voted against my nom!
Samuel Barber - Violin Concerto, Opus 14 - II. Andante vs. Hildur Gudnadottir - Into Warmer Air Both are great, but I've been slightly obsessed with the first and have listened to it 4+ times since this match was posted.
Parhelic Triangle - Autechre vs. Bagley - National Emblem March Agree with Chyp, there is something hypnotic about Autechre and I couldn't stop staring at the video either.

Anticipating the matches to get increasingly difficult!

Samuel Barber - Violin Concerto, Opus 14 - II. Andante vs. Hildur Gudnadottir - Into Warmer Air Both are great, but I've been slightly obsessed with the first and have listened to it 4+ times since this match was posted.
sadly it doesn't look like it's going through, but I'm the same. Whenever I think about that piece of music I have to go and find it again and listen over and over . There's something about that bit of repeated melody (there must be a word for that , Neiba would know. Hook is what you'd call it if it were a pop song!) that's absolutely entrancing

sadly it doesn't look like it's going through, but I'm the same. Whenever I think about that piece of music I have to go and find it again and listen over and over . There's something about that bit of repeated melody (there must be a word for that , Neiba would know. Hook is what you'd call it if it were a pop song!) that's absolutely entrancing
It is absolutely beautiful and I'm going to look for a copy to download when I get home from work. When you said you heard it in Deep Blue Sea, this is the movie that came to mind:

Round 1 Day 3
Squarepusher - Don't Go Plastic vs. The Surfaris - Wipeout
Rush - La Villa Strangiato vs. Savannah River Holiday: Overture - Ron Nelson * * (alt. version for Europe)
Mussorgsy - Bydlo (from Pictures at an Exhibition) vs. Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)
Ramin Djawadi - Game of Thrones theme vs. Michael Nyman - In Re Don Giovanni
Floods - Hildur Gudnadottir vs. Sibelius - Finlandia
Autumn 3 (Vivaldi Recomposed)- Max Richter vs. Pink Floyd - Marooned
Samuel Barber - Violin Concerto, Opus 14 - II. Andante vs. Hildur Gudnadottir - Into Warmer Air
Parhelic Triangle - Autechre vs. Bagley - National Emblem March

Sure - I can put Friday's round up as usual tomorrow morning and Saturday's up in the middle of Friday evening - would that work for you Christine?
That would be ace Chyp. Sorry if it puts anyone else out

where are you Deadchannel? Come join the voting.

Round 1 - Day 4
"Wuthering Heights" (Cathy's Theme) - Alfred Newman vs. Unveiled - Hildur Gudnadottir - I have to go for Wuthering Heights as it has a very personal nostalgia for me.
Tonomura - Ducktales NES Moon Theme vs. Variations 1-4 - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Ducktales is cute but I'm too old to have a nostalgia vote fopr computer games music!
Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore vs. Miller - Moonlight Serenade - really hard, they're both the strongest songs of this round I think. I had to go for Acker as he was a local lad
YMO - Chaos Panic vs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton * * (alternate version for Europe) - both good
Shut Up And Dance- Vitamin String Quartet (Walk the Moon) vs. The Ocean - Bathyapelagic I: Impasses - both good too!
Ladies in Lavender- Nigel Hess and Joshua Bell vs. Steve Vai - Tender Surrender I like LiL but fancied a bit of guitar listening this afternoon
Aphex Twin - Fingerbib vs. Steve Vai - For the Love of God...but not too much besides Aphex Twin is great
Carlos Paredes - Verdes Anos vs. Miles Davis - Blue in Green - both good, but Miles Davis is just so atmospheric, redolent of smoky nighclubs

Round 1 - Day 4
"Wuthering Heights" (Cathy's Theme) - Alfred Newman vs. Unveiled - Hildur Gudnadottir
Tonomura - Ducktales NES Moon Theme vs. Variations 1-4 - Andrew Lloyd Webber
Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore vs. Miller - Moonlight Serenade
YMO - Chaos Panic vs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton * * (alternate version for Europe)
Shut Up And Dance- Vitamin String Quartet (Walk the Moon) vs. The Ocean - Bathyapelagic I: Impasses
Ladies in Lavender- Nigel Hess and Joshua Bell vs. Steve Vai - Tender Surrender
Aphex Twin - Fingerbib vs. Steve Vai - For the Love of God
Carlos Paredes - Verdes Anos vs. Miles Davis - Blue in Green

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
"Wuthering Heights" (Cathy's Theme) - Alfred Newman vs. Unveiled - Hildur Gudnadottir
YMO - Chaos Panic vs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton * * (alternate version for Europe)
Shut Up And Dance- Vitamin String Quartet (Walk the Moon) vs. The Ocean - Bathyapelagic I: Impasses

Round 1 - Day 4

YMO - Chaos Panic vs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton

A system of cells interlinked
Round 1 - Day 4

That last one was harder than I thought it would be, and I ended up going with Paredes in the end, even though when I saw the tracks listed, I figured Davis was a shoe-in.

Steve Vai is THE MAN, and these two tracks are two of my favorites of all time by the artist. Funny thing: I was deciding between those two for my Vai pick - glad someone else nominated Tender Surrender!

Round 1 - Day 4

Tonomura - Ducktales NES Moon Theme vs. Variations 1-4 - Andrew Lloyd Webber Huge wave of nostalgia listening to Tonomura. I never played that game before but the music gave me the overwhelming urge to look up the music from Super Mario Bros. and Kirby's Dream Land followed by a mad search for my first generation Game Boy that had been forgotten and stuffed in an old junk drawer. Thanks for the nom FM!

YMO - Chaos Panic vs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton Nemo Egg is something I listen to when I need to de-stress quickly. Went with my nom, but loved feeling the 80s in the first piece.

Ladies in Lavender- Nigel Hess and Joshua Bell vs. Steve Vai - Tender Surrender Thought Ladies in Lavender was so beautiful when I heard it on the radio. Watched the movie- story was okay, but the music stayed with me.

Aphex Twin - Fingerbib vs. Steve Vai - For the Love of God First time listening to Fingerbib and enjoyed it a lot, even with the image of the album cover that kinda gave me the creeps.

Carlos Paredes - Verdes Anos vs. Miles Davis - Blue in Green Liked both but I've got a soft spot for Miles.

Shut Up and Dance was my nomination because I wanted to plug some Vitamin String Quartet. It's a lot of fun listening to their covers and waiting to see what they release next. If anyone was interested, here are some of the other covers I considered nominating:
The Cave- Mumford & Sons
Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson
Poker Face- Lady Gaga
Best Day of my Life- American Authors

I've come to the conclusion Random.org is just plain cruel, pitting the two Bach tunes against each other yesterday and now these two iconic tunes today. Voting with my nom but that really is the sole reason as it's nigh on impossible for me to split these two - feel free to insert an appropriate stock phrase of your choice here.
I love the smell of napalm in the moonlight?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Round 1 - Day 4

This tournament is already worthy because I discovered Hildur. Newman's alright, not quite my thing though.

Honesty, hated both! Just hated that strange thing they did to Lloyd Webber's music a tiny bit more.

Glen Miller is one of my favourite jazz musicians of all time, and Moonlight Serenade of my favourite songs, so not really hard for me to decide! Bilk is great too, though!
YMO - Chaos Panicvs. Nemo Egg- Thomas Newton
Just love the power of The Ocean!!! Great song!
Tender Surrender is one of my favorite guitar solos of all time! Just watching Vai playing it is a demonstration of pure class! I would have choose it even if it wasn't my nomination. But I admit it's not an easy choice because Ladies in Lavender is beautiful!
Of all the draws with my own nominations, this was the only one I admit I could have serious doubts! Blue in Green is a legendary song from probably the best album in jazz history. Carlos Paredes, for those who don't know him, is the master of the portuguese guitar, an instrument with a beautiful sound as you can hear. The specific song is very cherished by portuguese university students because it's part of a great tradition.