The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They were on my extended iist but both got cut eventually. Two super flicks.
Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964)

Goldfinger certainly ranks as one of the best Bond flicks and definitely Sean Connery's best. I've gone back-and-forth in my thoughts about this through the years, but last night, it seemed REALLY good, with an incredibly fast pace, Bond's use and abuse of women almost gleefully on display, two terrific villains, Goldfinger (Gert Fröbe) and his henchman Oddjob (Harold Sakata), and three great Bond girls, Jill Masterson (Shirley Eaton), her revenge-seeking sister Tilly (Tania Mallet) and the enigmatic Pussy Galore (Honor Blackman). When you add in Shirley Bassey's exuberant version of the title song, you've got terrific escapist entertainment. What else could help make this the Best Bond? Well, 007 gets to use his super tricked-out Aston Martin for the first time, and Bond gets to piss off his adversary several times at the beginning of the film using wit and ingenuity before ever having to resort to violent action. There's also the first use of a real laser in film history when Bond just about loses his "shortcomings". I still think that for spectacular action set pieces that On Her Majesty's Secret Service may just top Goldfinger, but it's extremely close if it does because Goldfinger is almost wall-to-wall with action, whether it's by land, sea or air.
Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967)

Arthur Penn's second consecutive homage to the French New Wave hits paydirt in a spectacular character study/black comedy/social satire utilizing Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow as a commentary on not only what they represented in the 1930s, but more importantly, what film and hero worship represented in the 1960s. Penn reunites with Beatty, the protagonist of his artsy-fartsy existential gangster flick, Mickey One, and turns that film's abstractions and pretentiousness into commercial gold. Relative newcomer Faye Dunaway proves to be a perfect foil for Beatty, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Bonnie and Clyde is one of those essential films which arrived at the right place and at the right time. It signaled, along with Mike Nichols' Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and The Graduate, a new frankness in American films which could never be "fully" contained by a Code and could never turn back to the Old Days. Bonnie and Clyde was certainly the most violent mainstream film made before The Wild Bunch, and while the latter was rated R, the former was originally released with no rating whatsoever.

Not only did the film turn Faye Dunaway into an immediate star, it reignited Warren Beatty's career which was actually on a downslide. Add in the fact that Estelle Parsons won an Oscar for her second role, Gene Hackman and Michael J. Pollard were rightfully nominated for two of their earliest roles, and Gene Wilder was a laugh riot in his first feature, and it's easy to see how significant Bonnie and Clyde was at its time of release and how important the effects of its success continue on to this day.

While ya'll talk about Goldfinger and Bonnie and Clyde (one of my last cuts), I'm going to catch up on a couple of films from my list that showed up awhile ago:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was my #14. It's more grounded in reality, more democratic, more civilized, than your typical western. We still get a white hat/black hat staredown between The Duke's surefire hero and Lee Marvin's smarmy villain, but instead of taking place on an open plain, it occurs in a crowded restaurant over a fallen plate of steak. There are no wide shots of beautiful landscapes with towering cliffs on the horizon. Everything in Liberty Valance feels walled in. It cages the myth, examines the legend. We see how one man's entire reputation and good fortune is built on the forgotten sacrifice of another man. The beautiful black and white photography captures the somber mood that's established by the funeral and carries through into the flashbacks. Stewart and Wayne are two of my favorite actors, so any scene where those two share the screen is gold for me. I wish Vera Miles had more to do in the film because she's also excellent. Staples of the genre, like Lee Van Cleef and Woody Strode, grant the film that authentic western feeling, even if their roles are minor. In some ways, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance reminds me of an early Unforgiven. Both are westerns that strip away the mythology and add weight and thoughtful discourse to the actions of their characters.

Repulsion was my #15. I used to think that going insane might be kinda fun. Just look at the giant lovable rabbit in Harvey, for instance. Then I watched Repulsion. Never has crazy looked so scary. Everything we are is locked up inside our brains -- I think, therefore I am -- so what do you do when your own mind betrays you? How do you trust anything you see? Anything you hear? You become a slave to your psychosis. The monster is your mind. To me, that's far more frightening than any bogeyman. So I've always been fascinated by films that portray a descent into madness. And I think Repulsion is one of the most effective psychological horror films in existence. It perfectly captures that inescapable, hopeless feeling. You can barricade yourself inside your apartment, put furniture in front of the door, but there's no escaping yourself. The film is loaded with iconic, haunting imagery, like the groping hands that extend from the walls. Things become increasingly chaotic and frightening as Carol spirals farther and farther out of control, but I think some of the eeriest moments are early in the film when you see Carol's thousand yard stare, her skittish interactions with others, the way she zones out while looking at a crack in the sidewalk, the way she walks to work as if a predator might snatch her at any second. This is a woman teetering on the precipice of abyss, yet nobody around her, not even her sister, is privy to it. I also love how Polanski fills the film with subtle clues to the possible cause of her madness. The hallucinations, the way men are portrayed in the film and the disturbing look on the girl's face in the photograph hint at past sexual abuse. If so, she's been a ticking time bomb for many years. We just happen to be introduced to her moments before her self-implosion.

My List So Far:
#12) Fail-Safe
#14) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
#15) Repulsion
#16) Knife in the Water

Goldfinger was #12 on my list. And like Silent Vamp, I thought I had Bonnie and Clyde on my list. I must have switched it for another film at the last minute. Strange, because Bonnie and Clyde is a rather personal film for me. When I was a kid, it was being filmed at neighboring towns, and my Dad actually got to go see the scene being filmed where a supposedly naked Faye Dunaway, up by her bedroom door, asked Warren Beatty what he was doing around "her mama's car." Of course he said that they did numerous takes on the scene, sometimes with or without one of the two stars. The news that I thought was cool was that Michael J. Pollard had a beautiful wife sitting with him, watching the filming. I need to find out who she was and what she looked like.

EDIT: Captain Spaulding, excellent thoughts on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Couldn't have even come close to stating it as well.

Forgot to mention that Goldfinger was the first film I ever saw or remember seeing even a part of. I was only three-years-old and we saw it at the drive-in. A naked, golden woman can make an impression even on a young child.

Goldfinger and From Russia With Love are my two favourite Bond films. Before I started watching films for this they were locks. In the end I decided to honour an excellent series of films that have helped shape me as a cinephile a great deal with one as the last place on my list, I went with FRWL simply because it was fresher in my mind having just rewatched it a few months back. My dad who has watched a lot of films, from a wide variety of time periods,genres,etc, would most likely have Goldfinger in his top five for this even though its the only Bond he really likes.

Bonnie and Clyde was actually the first film I watched for the 60s countdown, way back before we had even decided to do the Animated one. Not a big fan to be honest but I'm open to rewatching it at some point.

Seen - 27/56
My List - 3/25

I've re watched all of the early Bond films lately and to be honest none of them did much for me - occasionally fun but with the exception of Lazenby's film, none of them really went in the direction I would have liked to see them go. In fact that didn't happen until recently.

I didn't watch Bonnie & Clyde until after I submitted my list - it wouldn't have made it but may have gone close. Excellent film technically and whilst I tend not to think of Beatty as a great actor, he did a great job with what turned out to be a relatively complex character.

So, Goldfinger is too high and B&C is too low

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 45 of 56

Not a fan of Bonnie and Clyde at all, in fact it's easily one of my least favorites from the decade. Goldfinger is a cool movie.

Plenty of good films showing up. Two of them also made my list!

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was my number 18. I watched it especially for this list and I fell in love with it immediately. Ford showed great control and style when directing this very complex western film full of narrative layers and with a rare kind of thematic richness. I'm not sure if I consider this my favorite Ford film from what I've seen so far (that honor may still go to The Searchers), but it's definitely a film that I think very highly of. A must see!

The other film that made my list is of course Goldfinger! I made room for it, because it was such an important film for me and because I still feel a special kind of love for it. It was my number 25. I briefly wrote about it in my top 101 thread:

101. Goldfinger (1964)

This film and Dr. No are pretty much the first films that made me feel nostalgic in ways that I never before could have imagined. They made me fall in love with the concept of 'older times' (in this case, the '60s).
I chose this one over Dr. No, because it has one of the most brilliant theme songs of all time and because it's the first Bond film I ever watched.
The film may have its flaws, but I couldn't exclude it from my list, as it was such an important film for my early developments as a cinephile. I still have tons of fun every time I watch it and my admiration for Connery's classy performance as James Bond still remains.

Goldfinger is cinema at its most entertaining and most basic. For me, this is the ultimate spy film and Sean Connery immortalized himself in it as the one and only true "Bond, ... James Bond".

Just as last time, I was considering to include Dr. No as well, which is my second favorite Bond film. It's a pity it probably won't make this list.

My list so far:

2. An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
15. Late Autumn (1960)
16. The Swimmer (1968)
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
19. Blow-Up (1966)
21. Belle de Jour (1967)
25. Goldfinger (1964)

I had Bonnie and Clyde at #9. Long-time favorite.

My List:

3. A Hard Day’s Night (#53)
9. Bonnie and Clyde (#45)
21. Andrei Rublev (#55)

Goldfinger is one of the few Bonds I've actually seen. I dig it. I like Bonnie & Clyde too, personally.

Had neither on my list though.

A system of cells interlinked
Bonnie and Clyde was #20 on my list.

That's still just two titles for me, so far. From Russia With Love and Bonnie and Clyde.

Seen both, but not a big fan of either.
^^This.^^

Actually, that's not true. I'm not a fan of either. Let a lone a big one.

Well, I either tell you I don't like them or say nothing. I'd been saying nothing for most of the list so far so I thought I'd have a change of pace.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Bonnie & Clyde was my #17, which makes 5 from my list.

Of the 20 left I'm sticking my neck out and saying only two others (plus Carry on Camping, you joyless lot) won't make it. Actually, make that three.

Definitely three. Or two.

^^This.^^

Actually, that's not true. I'm not a fan of either. Let a lone a big one.
How many from your list so far?

I think 10 of mine have made the list so far. I don't think my number 2 is going to make it as I've not ever heard anyone else talk about it. I think another 11 of mine could get here as it starts to get more populist at the top. There's one British film I really want to be here, I'm crossing my fingers