Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It was on cable and the only thing I hadn't watched all the way through. I'll watch whatever.
Watch Catcher in the Rye (2008) then!!! Possibly the most boring film ever!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Thumbelina (Don Bluth & Gary Goldman, 1994)
It's the first time I see this film being mentioned here! It's one of my childhood movies, though I agree it's not perfect I still feel so much nostalgy watching this!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho, 2013)
-
Honey I Blew Up the Kid (Randal Kleiser, 1992)
+
Overboard (Garry Marshall, 1987)

Tears of the Black Tiger (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2001)
+

A surreal pastiche of westerns and gangster flicks is decked out in psychedelic imagery as a duel looms between gloomy hero Chartchai Ngamsan and his best friend/nemesis Supakorn Kitsuwon.
The Cry of the Children (George O. Nichols, 1912)

Petticoat Camp (No Director Listed, 1912)

The Evidence of the Film (Edwin Thanhouser & Lawrence Marston, 1913)
+
The Thanhouser Studio and the Birth of American Cinema (Ned Thanhouser, 2014)

The Thanhouser Studio, America’s first major independent film studio, was established in New Rochelle, New York, in 1910 and known for movies with naturalistic acting, strong narratives and creative editing and special effects.
'Master Harold' ... And the Boys (Lonny Price, 2011)
+
Drive Me Crazy (John Schultz, 1999)

Donkey Skin (Jacques Demy, 1970)

The World of Jacques Demy (Agnès Varda, 1995)

A loving collection of interviews, home movies and clips from his many famous films are here in Varda’s tribute to her husband, now gone for 25 years.
Mistaken for Strangers (Tom Berninger, 2013)

Football Headliners (No Director Listed, 1955)
-
Big Top Pee-wee (Randal Kleiser, 1988)
-
Fort Apache (John Ford, 1948)

Captain John Wayne rightfully thinks his fort’s new commander (Henry Fonda) is a martinet who believes his code is the correct one but disrespects Cochise and the Apache.
J.W. Coop (Cliff Robertson, 1971)

The Tall Men (Raoul Walsh, 1955)

The Floorwalker (Charlie Chaplin, 1916)

The Last Samurai (Edward Zwick, 2003)
+

American Civil War veteran Tom Cruise trains to become a samurai after he’s captured by the enemy he went to Japan to defeat.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tears of the Black Tiger (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2001)
+

A surreal pastiche of westerns and gangster flicks is decked out in psychedelic imagery as a duel looms between gloomy hero Chartchai Ngamsan and his best friend/nemesis Supakorn Kitsuwon.
You got a mistake here, dude. The gloomy hero's name is The Gunslinger45!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Pretty much in agreement with honeykid on this one. Kingsman's whole "like James Bond but edgy, bruv" style meant that it's not so much offensive as disappointing. What campy fun there was went out the window with the revelation of Samuel L. Jackson's main plan, which means that the infamous church scene comes across as implicitly disturbing more so than "woah, awesome". There's also the fact that the film skims over the implications of its climatic carnage in order to resort to a cheap sex joke, which ends up being just one more reason why I think less and less of Kingsman the more I think about it.

Also, the constant references to existing spy movies were annoying.
I had no problem watching a bunch of racists get offed by Colin Firth of all people, and the ending had me laughing hysterically. But maybe I'm a bad person.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Inside Out - This one is not just Best Animated Picture material, I'd like to see this up for Best Picture, it's THAT good.

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - Meta sequel to the old 70's slasher film, from the makers of American Horror Story. Intriguing and gory, but the ending disappoints slightly.

Dead Silence - Silliness about ventriloquist dummies and ghosts, fun but not that great. Gains a point for Donnie Wahlberg's character and for a ballsy ending.

The Exorcist - A classic horror, but hard to enjoy while my roommate is playing guitar throughout the entire movie....
, normally.

Detachment
(2011, Tony Kaye)

-

- I don't know really where to start because I love that film in so many ways...I rarely connect with a character like I did with the character of Adrien Brody I see me throughout the movie walking in the shoes of Mr.Brody and thats an incredible thing. I also deeply love the energy and the atmosphere of the movie and the musical touch is perfect for every scenes. It's a special film for me and Tony Kaye once again hit me with his best shot. This is a real american masterpiece.

Welcome to the human race...
HK and Iro up in here striking out all over the place.

Kingsman was silly, over the top, and really fun.
Even by those standards, it's a failure.

A system of cells interlinked
Krull is so much better than Willow.
Yep. No contest, really.

I watched it a few weeks back and I've seen bits and pieces of it a few times this year because one of the channels over here keeps showing it and it's such a wonderful visual delight and a set designers/art dept. dream I'd have thought.

I really enjoyed the art and set design, and would probably chalk those up as favorite aspects of the film, along with Horner's score. Sadly, I must point out that we are once again agreeing on something. We really need to stop doing this!

Veronica Mars

(Thomas, 2014)

Everyone's favorite sleuth is back for what plays like an extended episode. And therein lies the rub. It made me miss the glory days of the show, whetting the appetite for more, but perhaps not delivering on all levels. This really did seem like they were firing up the show again, especially the final few scenes, which had me scratching my head as to why they would go to the trouble to set Veronica up for more content, when at the time, none was solidly planned. I hear rumors of a sequel now, but i wonder if Kristin Bell is fully engaged and ready to do it. At points in the film, she seemed to drift, with an odd look on her face as she perhaps was wondering what the hell she was doing back in Neptune. I see interviews in which she claims she would be "down for anything", but I wonder if anything will come of it, be it a new mini-series on cable, a Netflix show, or another feature film. This film just made me miss the show.

Three Crowns of the Sailor (Raoul Ruiz, 1983)

Shanghai Knights (David Dobkin, 2003)

Twilight - Breaking Dawn: Part 2 (Bill Condon, 2012)

Automatic Writing (short) (William Kentridge, 2003)

Charlotte's Web (Charles A. Nichols and Iwao Takamoto, 1973) (Rewatch)
+

Anastasia (Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, 1997) (Rewatch)

Romper Stomper (Geoffrey Wright, 1992) (Rewatch)
+

Zhantai/Platform (Zhangke Jia, 2000)

Kaguyahime no monogatari/The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata, 2013)

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

(Robinson, 2014)

For a while, it seemed like Mila Kunis might break out and elevate herself from just a passable actress with a pretty face to someone with real skills. At this point, I think it's time to give up on that. They girl just does not have what it takes. Even with the incredibly skilled Williams sitting across from her, she lurches through lines and histrionics in a pretty cringe-worthy way, bringing this flick to its knees. Williams is good, but his role feels a lot like Douglas in Falling Down combined with Dabney Coleman in Short Time. The film is all over the place in tone, and put together in such a way that makes it tough for the viewer to lock in emotionally. William's character is so nasty, I found it tough to care what happened to him. Genre blends like this, in this case a black comedy mixed with an after-school special family drama situation, can be pulled off, but this is put together in a clunky way with an off-putting main character. An extra layer of sadness is laid over the top, with the specter of William's actual death by suicide being echoed by some of the film's events. This film is supposed to be a black comedy, but it is just a bummer.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Toll of the Sea (Chester M. Franklin, 1922)

Public Enemies (Michael Mann, 2009)

The Viking (R. William Neill, 1928)

The Life and Mind of Mark DeFriest (Gabriel London, 2014)

Mark DeFriest has spent 34 years – 27 in solitary confinement – in prison and has a parole date of 2082. What horrific crimes did he commit? He “stole” the tools his dad left him in his will before they went through probate and then escaped from prison several times. He also has mental illnesses.
Whiteboyz (Marc Levin, 1999)

Thank God It’s Friday (Robert Klane, 1978)

Artificial Paradises (Yulene Olaizola, 2011)

Pretty in Pink (Howard Deutch, 1986)

Poor girl Molly Ringwald, from the wrong side of the tracks, tells her unemployed dad that she’s going to the prom even if her rich date did dump her.
Tart (Christina Wayne, 2001)

The River (Jean Renoir, 1951)
-
She Gets What She Wants aka Slap Her, She’s French (Melanie Mayron, 2002)

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Kerry Conran, 2004)
+

In 1939, NYC is attacked by robots and scientists go missing in this film entirely shot using blue screen-technology with no sets or locations.
Cougars Inc. (K. Asher Levin, 2011)

Why We Laugh: Funny Women (Bernard Gourley, 2013)
+
The Kid from Texas (Kurt Neumann, 1950)

South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (Trey Parker, 1999)
+

The anti-Canadian musical is an example of Hollywood’s “All Singing! All Dancing!” epics.
The Choirboys (Robert Aldrich 1977)

Fogo (Yulene Olaizola, 2012)

Mercenaries (Christopher Douglas Olen Ray, 2014)

Heaven Can Wait (Ernst Lubitsch, 1943)

Engaged to his cousin, Kansas socialite Gene Tierney tells forward playboy Don Ameche what she thinks of his passionate kiss. They elope that hour.

Two Pictures taken in the same day, in the interesting and multi-perspective documentary on steroid use: Bigger Stronger Faster

Recent Watches:
Vivre sa Vie (Godard, 1962)-
-
I'm So Excited (Almodovar, 2013)-

Reefer Madness (Gasnier, 1936)
-

[DOCUMENTARY] Bigger Stronger Faster (2008)-

[DOCUMENTARY] An Honest Lair (2014)-
+