MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Hope you guys are enjoying my return to reviewing! I have been laying low for too long, but now I should be back and being fairly consistent again.

I'm starting off with nothing less than three full reviews in this diary thread, as you can see, and I hope to have an update to my horror list ready very soon as well! An update, which will start off the top 10 by the way.

Can't wait to start properly on that 7th HoF too!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I re-watched Alice in Wonderland recently for the Animated Musicals HoF, so it's very fresh in my mind right now. I'm surprised that you didn't like it more. I think it's the type of movie that might benefit from a re-watch because it's so strange that you really have to completely suspend belief in everything to enjoy it. You can't really expect anything that happens on screen to make sense. The characters are just so unique, and the movie is a lot of fun if you just sit back and let yourself get lost in the crazy adventure.

You should put a disclaimer in your horror movie thread stating "some of these movies may actually suck".
C'mon cricket.

Actually, I have even updated entries stating they're "outdated", as a help to y'all. I saw you enjoying Dumplings recently, my number 50.

Oh damn, I forgot you had Dumplings or else I would've mentioned it. I'll go through it again when you're finished to add whatever I haven't seen to my watchlist.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
179 .......................... 188

May 24th

—— 2011 ——
T H E
T R E E
O F
L I F E

—— drama ——
REWATCH

Nature only wants to please itself
Get others to please it too

Contains excerpts of earlier review
I think this is my third time watching this phenomenal film and once again experiencing the endeavoring explanation of the meaning of life. I don’t think it is possible on any level to take up a more superior subject in terms of ambition and strive for success, than life itself. But Terrence Malick isn’t at all afraid to debate and disapprove theories and philosophies known to man; whether being science or religion, fact or fiction. Basically, he simply wants to provoke your mind and your inner emotions, which is something he succeeds tremendously in, if you are willing to dive deep into this film…

You really have to let yourself go with this one, because it is easily going to appear extremely ambitious, hollow and confusing if you don’t take it for the experience that it is. This film relies so much on visual storytelling and metaphoric and incoherent storylines, that trying to solve everything at once will be too much, but not making any thoughts at all will be too little. It jumps in time, in space, in life, and it can be hard to keep up with everything or get your head around it. But if you only let yourself flow weightless into this amazing experience of a film, which touches upon all of your senses at once, you will be able to feel how close to life itself Malick travels with this film. ‘The Tree of Life’ has to be seen to be believed, while a proper set-up for watching this is almost an obligation. Just judging from the 20-minute time sequence in which Malick tells the story of how our universe was created, how life came to be and how it evolved – that was one of the best sequences in cinema I have ever seen. The colossal composition of God-like scale, which the extraordinary visuals are set to, lifts every little detail to a much higher level, and the breathtaking pictures are out of this world. If you really pay attention you can see just how much focus there is on detail, and how one frame goes into the next. I might actually think this is my personal pick for the most beautiful movie ever made, because it balances natural lightning, handheld and steady-cam, practical and special effects, long takes and short takes and everything in between. Every shot in this film is pure brilliance.

But honestly I don’t think there are many out there, who would not agree on the visual beauty of this film. Most of what people complain about, seem to be laying within the metaphysical whispering of our main characters, and how they just babble along with nonsense to “add to the alleged experience”. It isn’t like I can’t understand if you are thrown off by it, but I don’t think everyone listens to what is being said or what the point of it is. The film deals with God and belief, and how and why we are here on this earth, what our purpose is, why life is sometimes cruel, how we sometimes forgive and forget and how and when we need to move on… I think the whispers work better than ever in ‘The Tree of Life’, since it is a clever and smooth method used to present us with the characters’ tangled thought-process, how they pray and who they thin they pray to, and how they show both trust and distrust toward a higher power… So if there is anybody out there who are willing to give this movie another chance, or have never seen it but really wants to, I will simply say this – know that that this film is very visual, very ambitious and very hard to figure out at times – but don’t try to decipher too much, make some thoughts about how a given scene can be interpreted, but just try to let your senses get captured by the perfect blend of music, visuals, framing, editing and so on. Whatever answer you may find, I will personally pursue my love for this picture for eternity until the end of life.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

May 25th

—— 1979 ——
THE
BUGS BUNNY /
ROAD RUNNER
MOVIE

—— animation ——

Bugs Bunny is over-stuffed with carrots,
and Road Runner is running in circles with itself

I chose to watch this mainly because it made the animation list on the forum, but also because I remember watching Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry all day and all night during my childhood. I loved those little shorts, and I thought that this must be some kind of perfect mix of everything good from those characters. I actually didn’t know it was just a compilation until a little later on, which kind of let me down a bit. But nevertheless, I was encouraged to see what this was all about…

I find it hard to do a full and functional review of this “film”, mainly because I didn’t really like it much and second because I like them better as the iconic individual shorts that they are, instead of this giant mish-mash of a tiresome length. I especially hated the road runner half, since you ran tired on the creative contraptions by the third short in a row, and watching the coyote getting smashed to smithereens for the seventieth time just wasn’t as fun as the first time. I didn’t like the little in-between intercourse with Bugs Bunny either, guiding the audience through his fame as a movie star and introducing the upcoming clips.

When it comes to these compilations, I generally hate when you take something that is completely fine as it is, and then try to make some more money on it for no reason – well except for just that. Did they really need more bucks from the bugs and dollars from the duck? I think this short compilation is totally unnecessary, and there were a few famous shorts not included in it either, which I missed a lot throughout. In the end of it all, I never felt like I was enjoying this film, and when I actually was, it wasn’t because of the film but because of the nostalgic value of one of the shorts playing – or because that short was simply great. But still, it felt less great in the tight company of compressed collective chaos. So once again, there are definitely some great shorts in here, but they are totally destroyed when mashed into a mess like it is the case here.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

May 25th

—— 2012 ——
S I N I S T E R
—— horror ——
REWATCH

It is almost a sin how 'Sinister'
isn't as sinister as it should have been...

Contains excerpts from my horror list
’Sinister’ is the kind horror film that sort of separates itself from the current state of the genre. What I mean by that is, while it certainly still contains you’re a big bunch of similarities to previous pictures in the genre – as well as a highly dominating dosage of jump scares – I personally don’t see this as being the main source of frustration, per say. Instead I think it is the director’s sense of necessity to lean towards the tired old formulas, when he actually has a whole new formula on his hands here. The atmosphere and approach in this film is far from typical horror material, and despite its many flaws, I love how it tries to create this repulsive and unsettling atmosphere, which just gets under your skin in such a nasty way, that a warm shower and possible future therapy appointments is to be strongly considered afterwards. It basically feels like the raw negative of a horror movie cut into pieces, dropped to the ground, dragged through the mud, and then shoved directly into the filthiest and most sinister-sounding ‘Super 8mm’ projector you could ever come to think of. The glaring problem with this technique though, is that everything won’t play out as smoothly as it should, and some of those dirt prints are larger and more noticeable than they should be; especially with a revisit.

Starting off on a positive note here, what I like about this film is not just how potentially petrified you can end up becoming in some of those scenes, but also that the talent in front and behind camera is really clear and focused from the start. While my above description of the film may make it come across as the most terrifying movie ever made, that isn’t exactly the main focal point. Even though I do believe, that this film is pretty scary and generally really disturbing to watch, I think it is the production value and overall skill that went into making this film, which is what gives it that extra edge. I truly respect the film for its use of practical effects and make-up; I adore the utterly unnerving home video snuff films, which is certainly also the best thing about this film; and I definitely enjoy watching Ethan Hawke going absolutely mad because of all that is happening around him. But I really wish that the film had believed in what it ultimately brought to the table, rather than cluttering it all up in a mess, which you are becoming tired of digging through in every other horror film.

I think ‘Sinister’ works best, when relying on pure tension and creepy celluloid clips of various degrees of disturbing imagery. It is a shame it has so many clichés and eye-rolling annoyances, that I can’t completely love this film. There are a few things I love, many I dislike and even some I absolutely hate; like the ending for example, which I think ruins the tension and atmosphere it tried to build up throughout, and throws it all on the ground for the sake of a cheap twist. Overall it is a pretty well done modern horror film, because of its eerie atmosphere and intense story, but the flaws are too many to ignore, unfortunately...

Master of My Domain
I used to hate Tree of Life like many others. Then I gave it a rewatch.

Surprisingly, I ended up getting, from what I see, the best film of that year. It didn't become a personal favorite of anything but some of my complaints were washed away. Some people complain that the pretentious message about God and the forming of life is annoying. however they fail to realize that it is a poignant, surreal, and mystifying look at a growth of a family. Most of the film is just watching kids play around and cause mischief, and it's so beautiful to watch that you can't help but be sucked in. My main problem though is the planet forming sequences being too long. Other than that, amazing picture.

So glad to hear that, Gats!

I, too, changed my opinion quite a lot with a second watch. If you are captured by the pure life on screen, you are in for a surprise. Funny how the movies does big scale philosophy and small time family bonds equally great.

About that long sequence of the evolution of life, I tend to think it's extremely short if I'm completely sucked into it. First watch felt long, second watched felt like 10 minutes max, and third was pretty good too. I love the sequence a lot, though I understand why people would find it too long.

Thanks for commenting in here, Gatsby, now I don't feel like I'm talking to myself anymore.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
185 .......................... 194

May 26th

—— 1957 ——
PATHS
OF

GLORY

—— drama ——
EXTENDED REVIEW

"Gentlemen of the court, there are times that I'm ashamed
to be a member of the human race and this is one such occasion..."

When speaking about the uncomfortable condition of war-related shell-shock, I kind of felt the same way during the shifting situations of sharp tonal transformations during this film. I was simply so surprised at the persistent progression in plot and placement, that every thought and feeling prior to watching this film had to be completely buried. Because, while under the impression that this was some sort of action-orientated war film, I was evidently unprepared for what seemed to be a down-toned drama, during the first few minutes of the film. This impression didn’t last for long though, since the setting soon changed to blown-out “battle bonanza”, which then made me reconsider my initial reflection. But of course, this was only to witness the film eventually alter its focus towards the aftermath of the “anthill annihilation” where the film truly started. Obviously, I should have known better with Kubrick behind the camera, instead of trying to nitpick on no-knowledge-nonsense, where my hopeful necessities were wrongfully going to leave me dissatisfied no matter what... Thankfully, it was only during the first few minutes that I had a hard time finding my standing ground. Everything rapidly changed, once I was comfortably laying in the trenches together with the suffering soldiers of a battle lost in advance…

A big bloated battle was certainly something that got my attention, especially when being expertly filmed and confidently choreographed, but it was the following waves of aftershock that shook me up properly. Once the court room drama started, it was like being locked in confinement with an unescapable lie holding you hostage until you accepted the unacceptable, like it was the case with those in question. When knowing the parallels to reality, it wasn’t that hard to feel the unfair situation of these soldiers, who never even had a chance to make a sensible decision themselves. It was between the guns or the gallows, both of which led to certain death.

During the trial, you constantly felt an urge to step in and change the situation because of the constant sadistic fabrications, craftily constructed by the court and high-ranks present. The same men we had previously seen stiffly walking the trenches throwing out hollow remarks to the actual heroes of war. The entire court even refuses to read the indictment against the men in question, claiming that it is too long and ultimately a waste of their time. The brutal cruelty of this film doesn’t even take place on the battlefield, but outside of it, where the struggle is even greater and death even more unreasonable. Funnily enough, both would be by the hands of a superior power, controlled by the men with the most medals. Even their nonsensical actions can come a long way because of their rank, like turning firepower against those who refuse to obey them and their orders; even when those orders mean certain death.

Overall, the drama taking place in court makes for an exciting film, full of deceitful discussions of subjects like honor and loyalty, coming from those who think they are so full of it. Kubrick knows exactly where and how to raise question marks so that the audience either rebel or rave. He basically made us walk the paths of glory, finding ourselves in the middle of a mess that could never be cleaned, with filth that could never be washed off of our body… and yet we keep on walking. For now, my rating reflects what I think is a really strong film with plenty of potential, which may need another tour in the fields before returning home to finally be awarded with the medal of a masterpiece. When rewatching films like this, I often come across little details that might lift the movie out of the trenches, especially with a film that is so strong on social comments and anti-war themes. As it stands now, I definitely see some war wounds that are too obvious to hide in what may very well be sheer perfection, but I don’t know how strongly I will rank them once I watch the film again. Maybe the flaws won’t even be flaws during a second watch.

But with that said, I was still left rather unsatisfied with the ending though. Not in the sense of wanting more, but feeling like the movie went out too easy, leaving a bigger potential behind for a much stronger ending. Again, it could be one of those endings that needs to be experienced at least once more, to fully grasp the director’s intention and ultimate decision to go with it. I definitely see where Kubrick is going with it, but if I like it that is another discussion to be taken another day. But anyways, apart from a few hits and misses the movie mainly strikes its target for what it sets out to do – even when I think the ending felt like a jammed gun. Well, actually the entire movie is like a jammed gun in relation to the main characters, who are standing on the battlefield of the homefront surrounded by “friendly enemies” with well-working weapons, but the ending still didn’t click with me. It was like walking a path that didn’t end in complete glory, but I look forward to be walking it again; hopefully changing my mind for the better.

+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Even though I can relate to someone saying that Paths of Glory has flaws, I think it's perhaps one of the most-perfect films I've ever seen. What flaws I find would be in the script being too perfect, or some of the acting of the various "bad guys" being a tad too obvious. But that matters little with the sum total of the movie. The ending makes me cry like a baby when the future Mrs. Kubrick sings, and the men see what they're missing and many are likely to never get back to since they're probably going to go through another attack again in the next few days.

Even though I can relate to someone saying that Paths of Glory has flaws, I think it's perhaps one of the most-perfect films I've ever seen. What flaws I find would be in the script being too perfect, or some of the acting of the various "bad guys" being a tad too obvious. But that matters little with the sum total of the movie. The ending makes me cry like a baby when the future Mrs. Kubrick sings, and the men see what they're missing and many are likely to never get back to since they're probably going to go through another attack again in the next few days.
Thanks a lot for checking in, mark!

As I said, this was my very first watch of this film (I bet you've seen it plenty of times by now) and I really felt like I didn't grasp half of it, though the movie is not one you would take for being complex when you look at it. Again, it's a lot about the themes and such and the ending which I didn't respond to the way I hoped. Everything did kind of bring my mind to keep turning the movie and its themes over and over again in my head. I can't wait to rewatch it and as noted I think the film has a lot of potential to be a greater film for me once I revisit it. Hope you liked the review, and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
187 .......................... 198

May 27th

—— 1985 ——
Brazil
—— sci-fi ——

Brasil, meu Brasil brasileiro
Meu mulato inzoneiro

The peculiar poster to this film has had me interested time and time again, picturing this human-like person with the wings of an angel, escaping into freedom and away from the systematized and synthetic lifestyle of an average worker, a genuine slave to society, flying out from underneath the colorful contrast to the otherwise black and white scenario, spotting a huge neon sign reading the simple word, ‘Brazil’. But one could only speculate about the strange vibes of which this poster seemed to produce. Therefore, I was happy to see it being nominated for the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame and thereby giving me a forcing chance of finally watching this film, instead of being stuck in a whirlwind of wonder for eternity…

After watching the film though, I’m still stuck in a whirlwind of wonder, continuously curious about the film and its themes and take on a future society, left standing as a faintly frustrated individual not knowing whether to be annoyed or amazed by it all. Anyways, this movie is definitely far out and completely insane at times, but I can’t help but say I was entertained – both visually, aurally and intellectually. ‘Brazil’ kind of plays out like an unsolvable Rubik’s Cube, where each of the colored squares represents the different subjects, settings and storylines of the film. No matter how many times you twist and turn it, you will always end up with a façade of different contrasts that are not entirely matching, and a product that is not entirely solved. But of course this is all part of the fun, but when you can’t make sense of things, you usually give it a rest and get back to it again some other day. I think this movie will definitely benefit from a rewatch since there is so much to grasp and grab on to. Generally speaking, you are left standing alone in the dark – perplexed and empty-handed – yet you are almost feeling too overstuffed. It is, however, a very strange but also strangely satisfying feeling to have.

‘Brazil’ does travel a long way into abnormality and absurdness, only to make sure that the satire is being served at just the right degree. I must admit that I don’t always click with satirical films, simply because the act of delivering satire can be very subjective, though often respectively clever as well. I admire the cleverness and originality of this film, but never have I had such a hard time finding out what to think about it. On one side I love it, on the other I hate it. Terry Gilliam aims for the impossible task of sewing his brain directly onto a movie script and praying that the audience likes what he thinks and feels. No, but really, I do see more thought and effort than him simply throwing out ideas hoping that they will stick.

But still, this is a very ambitious film, not only mixing different themes and feelings, but also different genres and settings entirely. A feature film attempting to balance an impression of society in every shade and every grade; whether it being the evolution of working life, professions, social inequalities, governmental control, surveillance, general politics, terrorism or propaganda. But these things are nothing but a fraction of the outer shell of society within this film, and the voice it puts forward, there is also the inner complexity of things; like independence, power, self-perception, introspection as well as love, and pretty much every other thought, feeling and emotion that you could come to think of. You could even draw a perspective to the movie business itself with the strong independent voice of this film, and how it dares and succeeds in creating something entirely original, if I were to use one example out of one thousand.

So how the hell do you end up reviewing such a film? How do you talk about a film that is clearly so well-made, having great talent in front and behind the camera, and yet feels so oddly off-putting? Essentially, how do you click with a film that doesn’t even click with itself? I really don’t know the answer to any of this, though I tried my best to answer it. In the end, when it all comes down to it, I had a lot of fun with this film and I definitely don’t regret watching it. It made me think, and made me sort out in my emotions like never before, so I guess it did something right. How it did it? I really don’t know…

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
187 .......................... 198

May 28th

—— 1953 ——
PETER PAN
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.14

REWATCH
When I was a kid, I treasured the incomparable feeling of flying straight to fantasyland,
and all I needed was a little help from the heart and soul of cinema magic!

Absolutely nothing could compare, when disappearing into the visual and wonderful worlds of animated features; especially those coming from the Golden Age of Disney. Back in the day, one of my favorite trips to take was definitely that of ‘Peter Pan’ and the journey to Neverland, where no kid would ever grow up and where no rules even existed. But of course, the unforeseen times came upon me, and I grew older with every watch of this film, until eventually, I was too old for Neverland. But then I realized something...

When looking in the mirror, maybe I wasn’t that five-year-old kid, who was couch jumping and floor diving through the living room, while stabbing the thin air with a wooden dagger. But my mentality and eternal ability to disappear into the world of movies have never faded, which I should have known, because I still disappear into the world of film to this day. So thankfully it just so happens to be mind and movies, which have that magical connection that every person, whether a child or an adult, love so much! And when those cheerful memories of being a child are rekindled, the magic is more alive than ever. And if you believe it, you have the ability to fly straight into your childhood, and all the way to Neverland!

First off I have to say, those at Disney are not not shy of returning to the past either, when it comes to recycling their themes or repacking their films in familiar packaging. But somehow they eventually manage to show off something that feels entirely fresh and fitting for the story they want to tell. With ‘Peter Pan’, the story of innocence and the wonders of being a child have never been illustrated better, neither have the depiction of the significance of not rushing into adulthood. I must admit that the visualization of some of these themes can appear rather dark and at times even frightening, but when you are an adult it doesn’t matter to me. It only makes everything even better.

At first everything is so magical, where you are sprinkled with pixie dust and concentrate on happy thoughts until you lift off the ground and fly above the skies straight to Neverland – the world of dreams. But once there, the children are challenged in many ways that goes beyond their capabilities, which makes them realize just how lucky they are to have a family at home who cares about them and protects them from the dangers of the world; makes them realize that not everyone is as fortunate as they are and not everything is as it appears to be. When I come to think of it, Neverland is way more dark and sinister than I remember it to be from childhood.

But of course, many of those unsettling scenes are presented in humorous situations, which generally makes it a little easier to digest. While the fact that a crocodile bit off the hand of a Captain seems moderately graphic, the actual scenario is far from it, containing a goofy-looking croc who is constantly out of luck, in terms of getting the other end of that hand. Because that is, on the other hand, truly amusing to watch, especially when the approaching terror is illustrated as a tick-tocking clock once swallowed by the beast. Mr. Smee is a great and clumsy sidekick too, often taking every situation with him in his many falls from grace. Apart from the pirates, there are plenty of mermaids, Indians and wildlings to up the ante of this adventure and eventually create a fantastic world to witness.

Generally speaking, the actual adventurous atmosphere of this film is hard to beat in my opinion, which truly does try to make the viewer buy into a land like Neverland – a place where your imagination has no boundaries and time has no existence. You know just how important that is for a child, because you have been there yourself, which is something the father finally realizes in the end, when reminded of his own childhood; “You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young…” And honestly, I can’t help but feel the exact same way about this film. That my friends, is movie magic in its finest hour.

I have to return some videotapes.
Gonna have to play catch-up if you want to get movies > days haha.

Very nice reviews though!

So I guess you're not one of those PC-types who worry about all the accusations of racism in the film.
No way, I think it's stupid. I don't care for all that. I just like the movie, simple as that. Same goes for those old Tom & Jerry shorts, though more vividly painted, I still think the racism is a matter of the past and doesn't do much to me and today's society.