Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the U.S. $20 bill?

Tools    

Being important is certainly a criteria for being on currency, but it's not the only one. It's also intended to honor people and their achievements. And the magnitude of an achievement is measured both by its influence, and by the its influence relative to the obstacles faced. It's also an expression of ideals, even (especially?) those we don't always live up to. By those standards, Harriet Tubman makes for a fine choice: her actions faced tremendous obstacles and express core American ideals.

I do think it's unfortunate that the person was decided after the gender, though. That really sends the wrong message. "Let's put Harriet Tubman on the ten" is a good idea. "Let's put a woman on the ten, but we'll figure out who later" reeks of political calculation, and it only distracts from the life and work of the extraordinary woman chosen for the honor.

shouldn't our currency be used to celebrate America - and Americans - rather than solely our American Economy? our political and economical system, as you put it, has been built by white men, obviously that's not going to change. but recognizing important women in a public manner, especially influential women of color, conveys the message that woman can make important contributions and have done so.
Not as important though

I'm perfectly fine with the Sacajewea dollar coin, but to replace Hamilton just have "a woman" on the bill isn't right imo. They didn't even announce who. I'm honestly just happy they aren't touching Andy though

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
then i think we are in agreement. cause i never said 'just any woman.' not sure why you're disagreeing with me but agreeing with him?

But the thing is the announcement says that there will be a woman on the bill in 2020. Meaning the only real requirement is being female, which I was saying shouldn't be a factor

It's official: Jackson off, Tubman on. I am pleased.

Has there been a movie made about her? Incredible story.

Dunno.

Also: I'm happy it was Jackson going, and not Hamilton. Hamilton was cool.
Not according the the John Adams book by David McCullough. Abigail Adams felt that if Hamilton had had his way, he would've been America's Napoleon.
The book didn't paint Jefferson in a very good light either.

I actually live like minutes away from where Tubman was born and where the underground railroad ran through. I'm pretty shocked, I didn't know that she was so recognized and famous enough to be on a dollar bill.

I will laugh when the bill comes out and it's just Andrew Jackson in a tub.

I wish it would, but nobody's satisfied these days. They just like being rude and stuff and think they're always right.
Man i love you, you are the nicest person ever haha

Everone (including me) should be more like Mushroom from now on.

I don't really mind who they put on the 20 dollar bill, as long as the motivation is not JUST to be politically correct.

And, no matter how you feel about who shows up there, remember... it could always be worse...

(Heh! I completely forgot how to use Photoshop and it took me forever to make this simple image! I thought for sure if I Googled "Sharpton 20 dollar bill" someone would've already made one, but nope! So here's a Capt. original!)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharpton 20.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	24960  

I don't really mind who they put on the 20 dollar bill, as long as the motivation is not JUST to be politically correct.

And, no matter how you feel about who shows up there, remember... it could always be worse...

(Heh! I completely forgot how to use Photoshop and it took me forever to make this simple image! I thought for sure if I Googled "Sharpton 20 dollar bill" someone would've already made one, but nope! So here's a Capt. original!)
OMG! that would be crazy....and sad! Nice job inserting Sharpton on the bill (I hate to see the backside of that bill)