The MoFo Animated Musicals Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The nominations are in, and we've been given the okay to start, so:

Welcome to the MoFo Animated Musicals Hall of Fame.

Standard Hall of Fame Rules apply, so you must watch all the movies before sending in your ranked list. Please don't send in a list if you don't watch all the movies. If you don't watch all the movies and send in a list before the deadline, your nominated movie will no longer be eligible to win the tournament.

The deadline will be September 30th, 2015. If I calculated correctly, that allows one week per nominated movie, plus an extra week for anyone who needs it.

The movies are listed chronologically, but you can watch the nominated movies in any order that you want.

These are the nominated movies:

Nominated by Friendly Mushroom! - Pinocchio (1940)

Nominated by Gatsby - Fantasia (1940)

Nominated by SilentVamp - Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Nominated by The Gunslinger45 - Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Nominated by Monkeypunch - The Jungle Book (1967)

Nominated by Miss Vicky - Charlotte's Web (1973)

Nominated by Sane - Allegro Non Troppo (1976)

Nominated by Ðèstîñy - Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Nominated by Swan - The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Nominated by Nope1172 - The Lion King (1994)

Nominated by Camo - South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)

Nominated by Jiraffejustin - Sita Sings the Blues (2008)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I suppose that I will go through them chronologically. It will make a better way to keep track of what I have watched so far (at least so that I don't accidentally skip one).

Probably going to start with either Beauty and the Beast or South Park, since they're borrowed library copies.

Alice in Wonderland (1951) Rewatch
Nominated by SilentVamp
Rating:
+

Allegro Non Troppo (1976) Rewatch
Nominated by Sane
Rating:

Anastasia (1997) Rewatch
Nominated by Gbgoodies
Rating:

Beauty and the Beast (1991) Rewatch
Nominated by Ðèstîñy
Rating:
+

Charlotte's Web (1973) Rewatch
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Rating:
+

Fantasia (1940) Rewatch
Nominated by Gatsby
Rating:

The Jungle Book (1967) Rewatch
Nominated by Monkeypunch
Rating:
+

The Lion King (1994) Rewatch
Nominated by Nope1172
Rating:
+

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) Rewatch
Nominated by Swan
Rating:
-

Pinocchio (1940) Rewatch
Nominated by Friendly Mushroom!
Rating:
+

Sita Sings the Blues (2008)
Nominated by Jiraffejustin
Rating:

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Rewatch
Nominated by The Gunslinger45
Rating:
+

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999) Rewatch
Nominated by Camo
Rating:
-

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This HoF was kind of thrown together at the last minute, and the nominations were submitted publicly, so I didn't ask anyone to write anything about their nominated movie.

If anyone would like to do a short write-up about their nomination, feel free to post it here and maybe generate some interest for your nomination.

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!!! Just a quick sentence or two about why you chose that movie as your nomination.

I chose Charlotte's Web because it was a childhood favorite and a huge influence on my love of rats. It's also among the very few musicals - animated or otherwise - that I really love, not just for the story but also for the songs. Templeton's "Veritable Smorgasbord" is a highlight of the film and my favorite scene.

I had to request 5 of them, I think, from the library. The others I own. I was going to go in chronological order, but the library requests have messed up my plans for that (a couple of those are currently checked out - so it will take longer for me to get them).

So, I think the movies that I will start off with will be "Fantasia", "Beauty and the Beast", "Sleeping Beauty" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Unless, of course, there is a specific one, or two, that everyone else wants to watch at the same time. Doesn't really matter to me.

Alice In Wonderland

Just finished watching, I had a lot of fun with this. As a kid this was never among my favourite Disneys. Not sure why exactly but having not watched it in 5-6 years, it felt very fresh having forgotten all about certain scenes.

First of all the animation is excellent, brilliant use of colour here. Still in some case I think this works against the film. As even the darker parts like The Walrus and the Oysters or Tulgey Wood are a bit too cheery and/or brightly coloured to feel any different than the rest of the film. Since this is basically a collection of short stories told as a continuing journey by Alice, the problems everyone are going to find is in how much they enjoyed the individual shorts. The aforementioned Tulgey Wood and The Talking Flowers parts were the only two I actually dislike, having the same problems with both in that I found them irritating and I disliked their songs. While the highlights for me and I assume most were The Mad Hatters Tea Party and all of The Queens Story, both so greatly imaginative and fun. Other than the Animation my favourite thing was the hectic nature of it all, it can feel slightly overwhelming at parts, but it turns this 75 minute film into an extremely easy and enjoyable watch.

Well, I suppose that I could give my reason for why I chose "Alice in Wonderland" (even after someone has watched it already ).

Seriously, after my #1 choice was already nominated, I wanted to come up with something else that had a variety of characters. And the one that kept popping into my mind was "Alice in Wonderland". I wanted to go for something a little more whimsical. And honestly, whether that story is being told as live-action, an animation, or even the book itself, it is kind of an acid trip that you can take without ever having to touch the drug itself.

So, do I have to rewatch the ones I have already seen

Have you joined this Nebbit? To answer your question you don't have to rewatch any, but you probably should if you don't remember them well. That is up to you though.

Ended up going against my plan and started with a rewatch of Allegro Non Troppo.

The animated portions of this film are absolutely brilliant, with the Bolero segment (the one that made the animation countdown) and the Volzer triste segment being the obvious standouts for me. The colors and creativity are very impressive, however the live action portions are a bit too silly and they lower my overall enjoyment of the film. Still, this is requisite viewing for any fan of animation, though I maintain that this is not a musical and that may ultimately hurt its ranking on my ballot.

And here are some thoughts on Pinocchio, which I rewatched prior to the closing of the nominations.

This was my first time watching this film since childhood. It’s never been a particular favorite, but it does have its charm and the animation is gorgeous. I also like the darker side of the film – and lack of true comeuppance for the villains - that you don’t often see from Disney. Still, it doesn’t quite have the cuteness factor that most of my favorite animated films offer and, aside from the “No Strings” segment, I didn’t find any of the songs to be particularly memorable.

+

Agree with you on Allegro Non Troppo. You picked out my two favourite segments, and I agree about the Live-Action parts.

Really looking forward to rewatching it myself.

Sita is the only nominated film I've not seen before, so I have no comment there, but I'm very much not looking forward to my South Park rewatch.