The MoFo Top 100 of the Sixties

→ in
Tools    

Well its clearly Belle De Jour or The Exterminating Angel. To both sets of fans (Mark especially), which one would be best for a first time Bunuel watchee in your opinion?

Let the night air cool you off
Well its clearly Belle De Jour or The Exterminating Angel. To both sets of fans (Mark especially), which one would be best for a first time Bunuel watchee in your opinion?
It depends on the person, but as you've Eraserhead in your top ten, you can handle the surrealism of a great Bunuel picture. Just watch The Exterminating Angel, and then give it a top ten placement in your ballot. This is the right thing to do. You can do it. I believe in you, Camo. Do the right thing.

On a serious note though, if you have never seen anything from Bunuel, you should watch Un Chien Andalou first. It's not from the 60s, but it's only about 20 minutes long. It's a fantastic introduction to a fantastic director.

Belle De Jour is a good film, haven't seen Exterminating Angel yet (probably will before the countdown). But my favorite Bunuel- so far- is Simon of The Desert.

Only 45 mins long

I turned my list in!

I could have fiddled with the order until the deadline, and there are easily another twenty-five great movies I had to leave off, but I figured it was time to number 'em and send the thing in, already.

I think easily six or seven of them will have trouble making the top hundred, but ya never know. You all might have good taste when it comes to this decade, after all?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A couple of least known films I think everyone should watch for the list

Bunuel: Belle de Jour and Viridiana (I prefer Viridiana)
Kramer: Judgment at Nuremberg, Inherit the Wind, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (the first 2 are the best)
Kobayashi: Hara Kiri (really a must Watch)
Becker: Le Trou
Lumet: The Hill
Truffaut: Jules et Jim, Fahrenheit 451
Lelouch: A Man and a Woman
Rohmer: My Night at Maud's
Fellini: personnally if there is one Fellini to watch it's La Dolce Vita
Kurosawa: High and Low, Red Beard and Yojimbo
Ritt: The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
Harvey: The Lion in Winter
Edwards: The Party (Breakfast at Tiffany's is also not bad, but nothing near as good as The Party imo)
Ford: The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
Godard: I'm not the biggest fan, but his best movie is Vivre sa Vie without a doubt. (The Contempt is not bad either)

I know it's a lot so if I had to prioritize 5 films from those it would be

#1 Judgment at Nuremberg & Inherit the Wind (they're just to good)
#2 Harakiri
#3 Le Trou
#4 A Man and a Woman
#5 Viridiana & My Night at Maud's (I couldn't not include those 2 haha)

Watch both of them and Viridiana.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Finished here. It's been fun.
Definitely Belle de Jour. Both are good, but Jour is a better entry-point to his films.

Definitely Belle de Jour. Both are good, but Jour is a better entry-point to his films.
Yeah I think I'm going to go with Jour then try to fit Exterminating Angel in close to the deadline if I can. I usually end up enjoying surreal films evidenced by Eraserhead in my top 10, but I imagine it would be a better idea getting a feel for Bunuel before venturing into those types of film from him. I was also thinking of watching Un Chien Andalou before Angel since its so short.

Welcome to the human race...
If Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! doesn't make it onto the list then there's no point.

I'd say that The exterminating angel is better for this matter. Even if it's surreal and looks difficult to grasp narratively speaking, it is also very clear in its agenda, so it works both as a good sample of Buñuel's surrealism and a declaration of his satyric views that is easy to understand and get into. Belle de Jour is more subtle and less aggressive, which to some point makes it difficult for me to associate with the image I have of Buñuel (I've mainly explored through his Mexican period, where he was quite into surreal/psychological melodrama). It is no doubt a good film either way, just not one I would think about if they asked me what is the "essence" of this director.

Although maybe the best starting point is Viridiana. But well, Viridiana is wonderful no matter when and how you watch it.

Any fans of Barbarella? I haven't seen it but it seems like it is one I'll get around to eventually.
I'm a fan. Not sure you'd like it, but give it a shot.