The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

So you know I've only seen the first Lord of the Rings movie and I wasn't crazy about it. It doesn't matter; it's a spectacularly well done movie, and it's easy to understand the appeal. Great job on the whole list though-a nice variety of awesome films, and a great presentation and pace to the whole thing. I look forward to seeing how you respond to new watches in the future. Great job!

So you know I've only seen the first Lord of the Rings movie and I wasn't crazy about it. It doesn't matter; it's a spectacularly well done movie, and it's easy to understand the appeal. Great job on the whole list though-a nice variety of awesome films, and a great presentation and pace to the whole thing. I look forward to seeing how you respond to new watches in the future. Great job!
Thanks for the kind words cricket! Yeah while doing this list I learned about your problem with fantasy films. It's great though that you can still recognize when one is well made even if it doesn't appeal to you personally. It shows that you're an intelligent film aficionado.

It's only been a couple days since finishing but I feel like I still have "list fever" I'm already thinking about adding an extra 25-100 movies. Would anyone be interested?

It's only been a couple days since finishing but I feel like I still have "list fever" I'm already thinking about adding an extra 25-100 movies. Would anyone be interested?
How about a genre-orientated list? Or just something more specific?

But I'm always interested in lists, so whatever you up doing I'll be following.

How about a genre-orientated list? Or just something more specific?

But I'm always interested in lists, so whatever you up doing I'll be following.
Yeah I'll have to think about it some, thanks for the suggestion!

From the top 30:
Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Raid, The Godfather, American History X (even though with time my memories become less and less fond of it) An American Werewolf in London, Office Space (hell yeah!) Fight Club and Reservoir Dogs are films I'd rate
or higher.

But Donnie Darko???? Are you serious? Who likes that crap?

From the top 30:
Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Raid, The Godfather, American History X (even though with time my memories become less and less fond of it) An American Werewolf in London, Office Space (hell yeah!) Fight Club and Reservoir Dogs are films I'd rate
or higher.

But Donnie Darko???? Are you serious? Who likes that crap?
Maybe someone who uses the username donniedarko?

Thanks! Glad there's a few films in there that you're a fan of!

I have decided that I'M NOT DONE!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you...

Beyond the 100: False Writer's 25 other favorite movies

101: Mississippi Burning (1988)

A great film about the civil rights murders in the 1960's. I find it unique in the way that both the audience and the FBI already know who is responsible for the murders right off the bat, but it's more that they have to find the evidence to legally convict the ones responsible. Fantastic performances from Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe as the clashing-often FBI partners.

Why it missed the 100: Kind of embarrassing to admit... but I actually forgot about it! I did have it on my list at first but somehow I missed it when I did my final 100. So I think it's only fair that it gets the 101 spot.

102. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Great sci-fi action movie that's also widely considered to be on the list of "Best Sequels" with stunts and set-pieces that almost dwarf the original. I remember watching this many times as a kid, and even though it's been quite a few years since I last watched it, I still know many of the parts almost by heart.

Why it missed the 100: Even though it's a childhood favorite, I still wasn't confident in putting this in the 100. To this day there are a few parts I'm not particularly a fan of, most notably the ending. I never quite knew why, but the ending always left me feeling underwhelmed.

103: The Rover (2014)

A movie I just recently watched twice, and I must say I'm a huge fan! Great portrayal of a post-apocalyptic Australia, similar to Mad Max in setting but with it's own unique story. Slow, gritty, and heartfelt. I couldn't help but be enthralled by this film with each watch. Guy Pearce gives a fantastic performance, as well as Robert Pattinson, who I think has redefined his career with this film.

Why it missed the 100: I actually didn't watch it until after my list was done! It might just be the excitement of finding a new film that I really liked, and it may even drop a few notches with subsequent viewings, but as of right now, it just might have been in the top 100 had I caught it in time!

Your added written segment "why it missed the 100" somehow seems familiar to me in its basic idea. I wonder why.

Anyways, Mississipi Burning is great and T2 is a classic action film and I just love it! Haven't seen The Rover.

I thought The Rover was good but still a little disappointing. I didn't like the Robert Pattinson character.

The other two are terrific.
I'm wondering why you were disappointed by it Cricket. Was it a little too slow-paced, or was it just the Robert Pattinson character? I thought everything about it was good. Awesome that you liked the other 2!

Your added written segment "why it missed the 100" somehow seems familiar to me in its basic idea. I wonder why.

Anyways, Mississipi Burning is great and T2 is a classic action film and I just love it! Haven't seen The Rover.
Yeah I'll admit it was inspired by your list. I also thought it would be good to explain why the first 10 or so after the 100 didn't make the cut. I'll probably stop doing that though once I get deeper into it.

I'm glad to see that you're continuing your list.

I think Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the best of the Terminator movies. I haven'y seen the other two movies.
Thanks gb! I wasn't quite sure if it'd be the best idea to continue it. I'm glad to see that someone approves!

Yeah I'll admit it was inspired by your list. I also thought it would be good to explain why the first 10 or so after the 100 didn't make the cut. I'll probably stop doing that though once I get deeper into it.
Haha it's all good, it works great for your list here, as you said.

I'll keep checking in!

Care for some gopher?
Mississippi Burning is a fantastic movie! Don't like Terminator 2, though.

I'm wondering why you were disappointed by it Cricket. Was it a little too slow-paced, or was it just the Robert Pattinson character? I thought everything about it was good. Awesome that you liked the other 2!
I thought the pace was fine and I liked how it started out. I think it mostly was the Pattinson character, but I still look at the movie in a positive light, just not as much as I had hoped.

104. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

An enjoyable superhero flick with some fun action sequences. With Edward Norton and Liv Tyler leading the cast it makes me like it a whole lot more.

Why it missed the 100: This was a candidate for the 99 or 100 spot but I it does have its flaws and it also isn't quite as fun to watch as The Punisher in my opinion.

105. Predator (1987)

A very fun and exciting Sci-Fi horror. Like Terminator 2, this is another Arnold movie I watched quite a bit when I was a kid. The Predator of course has gone down in history as an iconic sci-fi villain.

Why it missed the 100: There seems to be something about Arnold movies that made me hesitant to put one into the 100. They're fun and exciting, and Arnold isn't a horrible actor, but this is another one that just missed the cut.

106: Disney's Robin Hood (1973)

Another Disney classic I watched when I was younger. Even though it's not considered to be quite the classic a lot of the other Disney films are, I still find this one very enjoyable even during a recent watch.

Why it missed the 100: It was another one I considered putting in the 90-100 range, but there was just too many other candidates and this one eventually got bumped off.