Out of the Furnace

Tools    

From the trailer, I can understand why the actors wanted these parts, but I can't think why anyone would want to watch it. Apart from seeing an acting masterclass, maybe? Also, with the exception of the actual footage, I really didn't like the fonts/graphics or music choice.

Er...for the story? Obviously it's not high concept, and there's no elevator pitch, but scads of great movies are great because of their execution. This one may or may not be good, but I don't see how things like the choice of font in the trailer would speak to that.

Incidentally, this was filmed, like, 2-3 blocks from where I live.

I didn't say the font was an indicator of the films quality, I said I didn't like it. The music also has no bearing on the quality of the film, but you didn't mention that.

Correct, I didn't; mainly because I think someone could make a not-totally-ridiculous argument that the musical choice might say a little something about the film. I don't think it generally does, but I like to preemptively account for reasonable objections people might have.

Anyway, I'm still kinda perplexed by the "who would want to see this?" thing. Are you just saying the movie looks bleak, or what?

It looks a bit dull, cliched and rather boring. At least, from that trailer. If the film works, then it'll seem solid and dependable. Dramatic staples. Of course, Christian Bale and Woody Harrelson don't help me like it, I'll admit, and there's something about it which made me think of Mystic River, which I also wasn't blown away by.

There was just something about the trailer which made me think of it, that's all.

On reflection, this might have one point of interest for me. That trailer made me think that Woody might do an awful lot of scenery chewing. I don't often like him, but scenery chewing can be fun.

Er...for the story? Obviously it's not high concept, and there's no elevator pitch, but scads of great movies are great because of their execution. This one may or may not be good, but I don't see how things like the choice of font in the trailer would speak to that.

Incidentally, this was filmed, like, 2-3 blocks from where I live.
I thought that looked like Pittsburgh.

Anyway I like these kind of movies, so I will see it regardless.

Can't stand Zoe Saldana, so will wait for the Blu-ray instead of seeing it at the cinema. Got all that brilliant cast then the weak point, her. They needed a stronger actress for the role to go up against all those actors.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This looks like a decent watch, I'll watch it on dvd when it comes out.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this on Netflix-- Ebert was right on-- it was trying to be too many things and didn't succeed. if it's a revenge film, you need a good payoff, not a dribbling ending. If it was some kind of Deer Hunter mood piece, or a back-from-war story, it didn't work for me there either. Too disjointed. Look at the main character at the beginning and then again at the end.... No change. Just a series of random stuff that happened to him.

Woody Harrelson was the best part of this, but after all is said and done, he was just spinning his wheels. Casey Affleck's and Willem Dafoe's performances also made love out of nothing at all. Great cinematography too. All the pieces of this film were there, they just didn't mesh. Filmmakers, go watch your 40's and 50's movies and soak up some stories guys. This film could have been GREAT!